Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
france_tremblay

Upgrade to sectional?

france_tremblay
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Not loving layout of the living room with the couch (new) we have now. It is a modular couch and we're wondering if we should add pieces to it to make it into a sectional. I'm concerned that we are blocking off access to the kitchen/eat-in area if we go with a 7 piece sectional. We could purchase a round corner instead of the square corner, which could mean that we would remove one of the seats that backs onto the kitchen, and move the end recliner in a bit towards the window... however, I prefer the look of the square corner... concerned that if we

use the square corner, and only 1 seat and then recliner, it might look too off center with the tv that's above the fireplace. In the picture, I have placed a blue dot on the pieces we already have. If I move up the couch towards the fireplace, the "chaise" portion of the couch might be too close to the fireplace, and it might be a little more difficult to watch tv at a comfortable height...

I can post more pictures if it helps to clarify.

Comments (31)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

I would not make it larger...You do need to pull it in closer to Fireplace at least 2'...it will feel to close at first but I always tell my clients you must live with it for a week before making final decisions...will you be adding a chair into your space?

• calidesign
    7 years ago

I agree. The placement now blocks the walkway. Move the back legs of the sectional all the way onto the rug. Then you might be able to fit chairs on either side of the fireplace. Don't add the the sectional.

• france_tremblay
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I appreciate the feedback. I now have 2 chairs I can use (we can see one in the first picture). I liked the idea of the sectional to add a cozy feeling to the room. I initially had put both chairs facing the window but I didn't particularly like seeing the back of them when we walked in... I think I preferred the idea of coming into the house and having a living room that was inviting and open, instead of closed off... I don't know anymore.. I want to avoid purchasing more furniture only to change my mind again...

• france_tremblay
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I was attracted to this layout...

I could use the modular couch we have now and add some pieces... but it's a 2700$ upgrade (to the 3000$ couch we already paid)... don't want to do it if it doesn't work...

• calidesign
    7 years ago

I understand what you were going for, but it simply doesn't fit in your room. You might be able to fit one more middle piece into your sectional, making the sofa part longer. You will have to see after you move it closer to your fireplace. You can fit the two separate chairs on either side of the fireplace, angled in toward the sectional, which keeps your room open on the side.

• strawberry47
    7 years ago
    I'd suggest turning your rug so the longer size sits along the fireplace wall. Then bring the lounge into the room more because as stated it is blocking access to the kitchen. Then have one chair angle towards the lounge. I don't think the second chair will fit.
  • france_tremblay
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I've done a few things according to the comments provided. Thoughts?
  • france_tremblay
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    NOT the table I would use... but just to give an idea....
  • france_tremblay
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I hesitate to move up the couch too much towards the fireplace (as we the tv is mounted there... the closer we are, it may become uncomfortable...)... but I agree that it would be nice if all the pieces touched the rug. If I move up the chairs, it would be bizarre right? having an empty space behind the chairs?... Should I turn the rug back in the other direction so that the chairs can touch?

• blakez15
    7 years ago

I have dealt with the same issue as you are fighting with. Our TV is mounted on the fireplace and I worried it would make us look up too high if the furniture was closer. To make matters more a challenge we have high ceilings. Our TV is able to be adjusted and I tilted it down a little and that helped. I also worried about closing off the room if I had to put a chair on the side where you come in to the room fearing it would close it in more. Our entry is close to our great room so there's not much room to walk. Our room is larger than yours but includes the kitchen and eating area also so we have to walk around the furniture. I now love it and am not bothered about having the recliner on the side of the sofa which closes the room in but makes it cozy and still inviting. Good luck!

• calidesign
    7 years ago

It is more about the chairs being within a nice conversation distance than needing to touch the rug. You could pull the chairs in closer and put a chest, shelves, or console type table into the alcove behind them. That would also give you a place to put a lamp. This isn't exactly right, but gives you an idea.

Hollywood · More Info

• shari13
    7 years ago

No, it looks bizarre now to have the chairs so far away. Think conversation area . . . that looks like shouting distance. If you feel the like corners are too bare after a week or so of adjusting we can work on that. . . .

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

You need the chairs to pull into the room and front legs on rug and the chairs can come closer together..add a beautiful small round glass side table between the chairs in front of the fireplace it is ok to layer furniture in front of it...you can leave about 2 1/2 - 3' behind round glass table and it will create a wonderful conversation grouping...once you add cocktail table floor lamps it will start feeling cozy.

• leelee
    7 years ago

You wouldn't want to float the coffee table in the middle of the rug. It needs to be about 18 inches from the sofa (not the lounge section). It's of no use if you can't reach it from the sofa.

• leelee
    7 years ago

Since your lounger sofa has seats that seem to tilt back more than a basic sofa you probably won't have trouble seeing the TV if the sofa come forward about 2 more feet. It still looks like it's trying to sneak into the dining room.

• france_tremblay
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm considering that layout. However, I just find that it doesn't feel as familial and cozy as I originally hoped.... (We are a young family - kids 3 & 6 y.o. and are not very formal people). Many have told me that a sectional wouldn't work in this space. I've attempted to create a 3D layout with the sectional. It might not be "design perfect"... but I'd love to know if it's a mistake to purchase the extra pieces to the couch... I keep being drawn back to this....

(keep in mind that I couldn't find a sofa with the correct layout so I had to layer it... it doesn't match but gives a pretty good idea.) I didn't put a table in the middle because the far end of the sofa reclines and think that it would be in the way - unless it was really small.... Don't pay attention to the wall art or the curtains - the catalog in this free online program has limited options, lol...

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Is your sofa with chaise new? Would the furniture store Alow you to change out the Chaise for a left chaise or consider removing it completely..it would give you the ability to change this room around.

• france_tremblay
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The sofa and chairs are new. No, unfortunately, we special ordered and are stuck with a right recliner chair, and a left chaise. We can add to the sofa but we can't change what we have. It's frustrating that we bought without thinking it all the way through... and it was pretty pricey too...

• Lisa G
    7 years ago

The sectional looks perfectly fine to me. I think it makes the room look cozy and inviting for your family. It sounds like the function of the room together as a family is most important, while a lot of folks on here focus more on design aesthetics. It's great for a room to look beautiful, but at the end of the day it needs to serve the purpose you want it to! We have a similar family room and are toying with the idea of a sectional as well...because we want to be comfortable.

• calidesign
    7 years ago

Your new suggestion is better than your original idea, since the sectional is one piece shorter on the side that would block your entry to the kitchen. It isn't ideal to have the chaise on the end, too close and facing sideways from the TV, but if you want the extra seating for general conversation, you could do it. Place the pieces you do have in these locations, with spaces for the extra pieces you are thinking about, which may help you decide.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

I think in the long run it would be cheaper to remove chaise and replace with sofa seat instead...than run sofa same direction as window and than add you recliners with backs to kitchen...the family can cuddly and lay on sofa and both recliners can be used for viewing TV....

• france_tremblay
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Here is what it would look like...
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

What do you mean? I would completely remove chaise out of the room..add a new regular sofa end piece to your existing sofa piece...to make it a 3 seat regular sofa...not sure what you are showing..but it does not work?

• france_tremblay
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    lol... the sofa can be taken apart - I would order the corner piece and two seats to add where it's empty in the picture. If I remove the chaise (which I admit would make more sense)... it will add another expense to order en end piece and the chaise I have now would be useless...
  • User
    7 years ago

I certainly don't have design advice, but I do have a very small house. My husband put our 65" TV over the fireplace on a specially designed mount that allows the TV to come out away from the wall and then down vertically (and tilt side to side only), so that in its lowest position it's about a foot and a half lower than when against the wall, and about the same distance away from the wall. We have very little space between it and our sofa, so it's really necessary so that we don't have to crane our necks. The mount is very heavy duty (he's pretty handy; I would pay someone to install otherwise). It's very easy to lift up and down. Might want to check something like that out!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

With all your reclining furniture you will not be able to have a cocktail table..didn't anyone help you before buying all this furniture..I feel so bad it really is a awkward set up..if you make it a sectional you will not be able to use the reclining end...

• calidesign
    7 years ago

It looks like that arrangement will fit in the room okay. It is just a matter of whether or not you feel you can use the pieces like that. Do what you think is best for the way your family will use the room.

• User
    7 years ago

Sectionals are NOT "upgrades". They are downgrades to functionality and versatility.

• blakez15
    7 years ago

My personal opinion is that sectionals can be attractive in a casual room without being a downgrade. For what it's worth, I like keeping your pieces together facing the fireplace on the rug and fit in a chair where you think looks best. You have a lovely home from what I can see. Good luck and post your results. Below is my great room. I think the sectional looks great and not a "downgrade""

• PRO
    Monarch Sofas
    7 years ago

sectionals are our best sellers by far ! of course the option to make them any size, and in any fabric or leather helps anyone to find the perfect sectional for their room. we can also put the frame split on the side of preference, if the back side is exposed and not against a wall for example. if you're interested in custom sizes, please CLICK HERE TO REQUEST A QUOTE

xoxo eva @ MONARCHSOFAS.COM

***CLICK HERE TO VIEW HUNDREDS OF FINISHED CUSTOM SOFA SECTIONAL PROJECTS

KENZIE STYLE - Chesterfield Custom Sectional Sofas · More Info

MEGAN STYLE - MODERN ITALIAN LOOK - CUSTOM SECTIONAL SOFA · More Info

CIPRIANO STYLE - CHESTERFIELD CUSTOM SOFA SECTIONALS · More Info

MEDIA ROOM CUSTOM SECTIONAL SOFA · More Info