Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ishop19

Does this Karndean Van Gogh LVP texture layer look smudgy to you?

ishop19
7 years ago

I am considering installing Karndean Van Gogh in most of my house. It is a luxury vinyl plank product (LVP/LVT). The color I like so far is Wellington Oak. Does anyone have any experience with the Van Gogh line of Karndean? I have a concern about how the wear layer looks in certain lighting. In the large showroom samples I brought home, in my lighting, the top superficial wear layer appears "smudgey". When the light is reflecting from the other side of floor from where I am viewing it, with the planks lying long ways between the light and me, there are literally built in smudges all over the floor! At evenly spaced intervals (approximately every 18" long way on each plank). there are 3" diameter smudges. This is from a standing position, I don't have to try at all to see these (although depending on the lighting angle you may have to bend down to see it). Please see the attached pictures. The first 2 show the smudges and the last (although it's flipped the other direction in the photo, it is the same board) is from overhead showing that these are not part of the color pattern. I didn't notice it until I brought multiple large samples from different stores to get a better idea of the color in my space. It is not unique to one sample or one color or one store, it is unique to the Van Gogh line only and it's in the top, factory, brushed on texture layer. I initially thought the samples were just dirty so I cleaned them! This only made the built in smudges more apparent since they are not random but are equidistant and the same dimension every time. They are in different places along the width and length of each plank since the planks are somewhat randomly cut after this layer is applied, but it is always the same distance apart along the length. Does anyone else see this? Is this frustrating because every time you clean do you check to see if you got everything and see all theses smudges? Like I said I don't have to try to see these, I walk into the room with the natural lighting opposite me and it looks like a diseased animal: It's definitely the top wear layer in every color in the Van Gogh line. I have already verified this. I am still considering getting it because it's the color I like, but will this drive me crazy?

The Kardean rep at first denied any problem and offered to send a new sample board to the store until he saw my pictures. He says these are a normal part of the textured wear layer and they have not had any claims/complaints on it! Huh?

Does anyone else have any pictures to post of this installed with these smudges? I can't believe they don't have any complaints on it, but maybe once it's installed you don't notice it or maybe my lighting makes it prevalent during all daylight hours?

I wish they made the Wellington Oak in the Art Select line. I would upgrade to it. Other than the smudge concerns, does anyone have any feedback on Van Gogh's relatively low sheen finish vs Art Select's shinier finish in regards to how quickly each one looks dirty with bare footprint type smudges vs hiding those. It seems to me Van Gogh looks dirtier faster/ harder to keep looking clean.

Anyone have a light to medium toned warm brown Karndean installed with no reds and not really stripey that they can recommend with pictures?

I would appreciate any feedback relative to these Karndean lines! Thank you!

Comments (13)

• ishop19
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for your ideas, Cancork! I am thinking they are way too evenly spaced to be mallet marks. The length apart is always the same but the width side to side where the line of them show up is on different parts of the plank. But maybe? Would a mallet be used to secure the plank to the large sample board?

I do think it's likely that it is part of the mechanized process. To me it looks like the end of a brush stroke where it just starts drying out and gets sticky. But definitely could be roller marks! But per the Karndean rep, it's not a flaw, it's a normal part of the top layer. I will pass the roller mark idea along to my salesperson who is communicating with the rep. Or should I go to the area rep directly?

But, I could do as you suggest and see if any stores stock a box of Karndean. Or maybe one they have already ordered for someone else I could peak at?

If I order a box and then decide to go with it, will the subsequent ordered boxes be of the same color lot?

Perhaps one of the stores could refer me to an existing Van Gogh customer that I could look at the floor? That might be imposing though. Come to think of it, I was able to see the same marks on an installed Van Gogh section of floor in one of the stores!

Thanks so much for brainstorming with me!

• nanj
    7 years ago

Maybe how they were stored/stacked at the store? Perhaps they were stored with something laying on top? As you say, they are at regular intervals. If it is from the manufacturing process I would say that is a defect.

ishop19 thanked nanj
  • ishop19
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I agree with you, nanj, however...

From the Karndean territory rep for Minnesota, "This is part of the texture (wear layer) and that particular color and tone shows it more than most, unfortunately. It is not a defect."

• ishop19
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

If I want this color, I guess I have to decide if this is something I can live with. I can't imagine though that people that have unknowingly purchased it this way are happy (if their lighting reflects the smudges this way) with the installed product. Again this particular texture defect is on Van Gogh only.

Anyone have it installed that can report on it?

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hello ishop19,

We've successfully installed the Van Gogh line in many homes, and have never come across the point of the "texture" looking like smudges. I do see what you're referring to in your photos, and I'd have to say that it must part of the top layers' added "texture." It's definitely not a mallet mark. Mallet marks do make distinct marks, (and not generally needed for LVT installation, we time the adhesive to optimal tack, and use weighted rollers) but can easily be removed from vinyl. I would agree with picking up one box, and staggering the seams in an area of your home, just to lay it out a bit ( so you can see how the light hits the flooring on a larger scale). If you still see the "smudges" that you're referring to, and wiping it down with windex doesn't remove them, than I'd say that it's, without a doubt, part of the graining texture pattern. Remember, you did bring home a floor sample, so who knows what those planks have been through. Karndean makes some really beautiful products, and I'm sure that if this particular color will "drive you nuts," you'll be able to find a nice alternative.

Good Luck

The Flooring Blog

• A S
    7 years ago

We just went with the Art Select Dawn Oak last month, and I'm not seeing anything resembling those marks on ours. I do know that we tried to beat up our sample boards before purchasing, but weren't able to, um, distress them at all. I know the two lines are somewhat different (Van Gogh vs. Art Select), but in person it was really only a texture thing, not a quality thing, if that makes sense. No regrets here, but I do agree that if you were to get even one box in to see if the marks are there in the actual product to be installed, it might be a good idea. We're living normally (read: messily) on ours, and so far everything just wipes up with no fuss at all. Love it!

ishop19 thanked A S
  • ishop19
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for collaborating that Art Select, at least, does not have smudges in the wear layer.

"Van Gogh vs. Art Select), but in person it was really only a texture thing, not a quality thing, if that makes sense."

Are you saying that in your selection process you thought both lines had a good quality appearance but overall you preferred the texture of Art Select better? (As a reference, art select is glossier, has a beveled edge, and looks handscraoed)? In that case, that makes sense!

I wish I could find a color in Art Select that I like as well.

I think Dawn Oak might be a little too red for me, but I'm so confused on colors right now! That's why I was so happy to finally land on one but then I found the smudge issue in VG.

Would love to see pictures!!

• A S
    7 years ago

Okay, I will try to get it together to take a photo or two this afternoon :-). Yes, that's exactly what I meant-- I actually loved the Lancewood in the Van Gogh line, but I liked the look of the hand-scraping and distress marks (not smudges) in the Art Select. We haven't re-done our trim, and the Dawn Oak complemented it nicely. I do have to peer at the planks and be sure that the distress marks aren't damage, but so far, so good! It wasn't a cheap floor, but I have a feeling my family could mark up a real hardwood floor in no time flat. Hence, this. I truly hope that the marks in your sample are from previous testers and are not in the product itself.

ishop19 thanked A S
  • A S
    7 years ago
    Here are a couple of random shots from my floor. The glare from the camera makes the floor look way shinier than it really is, although it does have a shine in full sunlight (today is just an ordinary gray day in Oregon). It does have a definite red/orange to it, although not nearly as much as some of the others. Never mind all the junk in the corners!
  • A S
    7 years ago
    One more up close so you can see the "texture" that I keep having to examine up close.
    ishop19 thanked A S
  • ishop19
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you! It always helps to see a color in a real space! It looks really nice.

• hstellkitchen2014
    last year

How's your floor looking now? This is a photo of our same flooring which was installed this spring. It began showing marks from the very beginning and believe it or not, this is a "clean" floor - moments ago. We've referred our dissatisfaction back to the retailer and will see what happens. Just thought I'd check to see if you ultimately were pleased with your purchase, given that you seemed to share some of the same concerns.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH