Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurahoff

Questions about nail down flooring install in old house

Laura
7 years ago

We are preparing to install about 1400 feet of 3/4 x 2 1/4 red oak flooring in our 1918 bungalow. It is similar to what was there originally. The house has a pier and beam foundation and the subfloor is currently 3/4 inch plywood throughout.

I am in Texas with clay soil in an old house. All the houses in my neighborhood move around during the year and mine is no different. The floors aren't level today and even if I could get them level today they won't be level in a few months. I am ok with this - it's part of the "charm" of living in an old house, but I am unsure how to handle the install.

I am not sure if we will attempt to install this ourselves or hire it out, but I am trying to understand what we should watch out for or special precautions to take or things to be added.

I realize it kind of sounds ridiculous, but can the floor be installed like normal knowing it will not be level from the start?

Comments (3)

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Laura,

We work on a lot of historic and older homes here in the Northeast, so I can completely understand your concern for the subfloor (plywood) not being "level." And you're right, it is completely normal for everything to "settle" over time (or, move around, in your case) and it's important for whoever installs your new flooring to understand this and take appropriate measures to ensure a quality installation.

First off, I'll start by saying that your subfloor doesn't exactly need to be "Level," It does, however, need to be "Flat." Hardwood flooring is a natural material that has a lot of its own movement without even considering the movement of the subfloor. That being said, I would have to recommend you having a professional, at the very least, come out and take a look to see exactly what kind of subfloor you're working with. The best recommendations aren't going to come from describing the existing conditions, or even pictures. Most times it's best to inspect the subfloor in person in order to be as accurate with a recommendation as possible.

In general, some things you may want to consider are making sure your subfloor is really solid. That means if it's the original subfloor, you may want to install another layer of plywood first, in the opposite direction it's currently laid in, and have it adequately secured (we like to use subfloor adhesive along with long galvanized screws, directly into the beams) That extra layer would add more stability to your existing subfloor against all that future movement. The only other thing I would possibly recommend would be using a wood glue in the tongue and groove joints in addition to the nails or staples.

Also, because your home has a Pier and Beam Foundation, make sure there is an adequate moisture barrier underneath your home, where the hardwood is to be installed. You'd be surprised at what any kind of moisture or humidity can do to a hardwood floor.

Like I said earlier, it's a natural characteristic of all wood to have movement, you just have to prepare for it. If you want to read up more about the importance of solid subfloors, here's a link to our flooring blog post. The Importance of a Solid Subfloor

I hope this helped to lead you in the right direction!

Good Luck

The Couture Floor Company

Laura thanked User
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 years ago

What ^ he said.

With everything going on, I don't think this is a DIY level install. If you are handy, have worked construction for a few years or have laid floors as a hobby, then you are welcome to give it a go...after some INTENSE upgrading of your skills.

If not, I would bring in someone specifically trained in historic properties. There are some specialized hardwood flooring installers/companies out there. They are not cheap, but they KNOW what they are doing and they will know what needs to be done to keep your floors/home as happy as possible.

Laura thanked Cancork Floor Inc.
  • User
    7 years ago

I once installed a wood floor on a ceiling. The customer liked the maple look so much, they wanted the floor and the ceiling to match. It was more difficult to do the ceiling than the floor by far---because of the differences in flatness.

Just a note. Many folks feel professionals charge too much for their work. Having to redo a sloppy job almost always costs more than what the pro would cost initially.

The difficult part is finding the right(and capable) professional.

Laura thanked User