Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anuja_mehra77

Small L shape bathroom

Anuja Mehra
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We have a small 1950s bathroom . The shower is smaller than standard shower and the door to the bathroom opens outside since there is no space to open it inside. We plan to demo and add a closet that's behind the shower area. Any suggestions how to make it look bigger and nicer. No counter space no storage . I moved from a newer house where I had THE master bath with double vanity linen closet separate shower and soaking tub to this . Please help

Comments (5)

• acm
    7 years ago

Do you have a question?

Anuja Mehra thanked acm
  • Anuja Mehra
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We have a small 1950s bathroom . The shower is smaller than standard shower and the door to the bathroom opens outside since there is no space to open it inside. We plan to demo and add a closet that's behind the shower area to make the shower bigger. Any suggestions how to make it look bigger and nicer. No counter space no storage . I moved from a newer house where I had THE master bath with double vanity linen closet separate shower and soaking tub to this . Please help

• Anuja Mehra
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• acm
    7 years ago

Wait, you've got a bathroom this small and you're stealing space from it? I'm not even sure that you'll have enough clearance in front of the toilet to make code.

You do have both counter space and storage underneath, but it looks like you're making poor use of both. I'd get a vanity that maximizes your storage (lots of drawers) -- something like this at maximum width that's legal (leaving 30" for toilet):

Caroline Avenue 36" Vanity, Without Faucet, Square Sink · More Info
    Then replace your tiny mirror with a good medicine cabinet-- move the outlet to the side wall and do a recessed (or mostly recessed) medicine cabinet. (You can hang a ring for a hand towel on the side wall too.)

Horizon 30"x28 1/4" Recess Mount Medicine Cabinet · More Info

Now you've got tons of spots for all your toiletries and you might even be able to fit a couple of cleaning products or towels into the large cabinet or drawer underneath (unless the new closet you're making is for linen too) . Get a vertical rack for anything else that's currently clogging the counter, other than a toothbrush holder, so you leave most of the surface area/elbow room free.

If you need more storage, get a wall cabinet for over the toilet. Ikea makes some good white ones that mostly disappear. Then towel bar where one is now near the shower, and hooks on the back of the door for anything more.

As for the shower itself, just try to make it as open as possible -- no return lips on the side walls, and use clear glass, so that the space inside enlarges your visual space (and so that you can admire any tile work you do in there). Make a niche to hold your soap and shampoos, etc., or get a good rack in a corner.

You can make this work, but everything has to have a place, and all space must be used efficiently!

• Anuja Mehra
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you so much for your ideas. I am not taking space away ... I was not clear ... we are taking the closet in to make the shower a little bigger! You gave me great ideas. Thanks