Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brekfistatifanys

Am I missing anything?

Tiffany Richards
7 years ago

We are currently in a home with a kitchen, living room, bathroom, laundry, one decent size bedroom and a small bedroom. We are in the decent size room with our 18 month old twins and our 5 and 3 year old are in the small room. Well our addition is finally happening!!! The addition will be our master suite, 2 bedrooms and a jack n jill bath. There will be 2 kids in each room. The current bedrooms will become guest/office/craft/school/play rooms. The master closet will actually be a 6x8 and the jack and jill bath will be scooted over so that the two bedrooms are the same dimensions, also a door to the outside will be at the end of the hallway. Anyway, can anyone with multiple kids and more life experience than I take a look and see what you think as far as room sizes for 2 kids, bathroom layouts, etc. See if it can be improved or if we are missing something. Thanks!!!

Comments (19)

• Tiffany Richards
    Original Author
    7 years ago

ok the plans didn't load right, haha. hold on

• Tiffany Richards
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• kay kin
    7 years ago

kids room storage/closet looks small if this is a forever home. also not quite sure where master closet is located to the R of the entry?

• Tiffany Richards
    Original Author
    7 years ago

yes the girls closets has been my biggest concern but I didn't know if I want any more space taken from their rooms. The master closet is to your right when you walk in the master, next to what the existing bathroom is.

• strawberry47
    7 years ago
    I also have 4 children, twins included. I've always thought if I had a chance to build a bathroom that double basins would be handy plus the toilet separate to the bath. My children are 16,13 and 10(twins) and I'm finding now they are older that the children tend to use the ensuite too.
  • User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Agree about the closet space. (I have three bedrooms upstairs, jack and jill bathroom, master down ensuite, and second bedroom and bathroom downstairs). My girls closets are about the same as yours and they were NOT sharing....so I would think hard about that...

I'm wondering what the point is of the hallway between the master and the other bedroom going all the way to a dead end??

• partim
    7 years ago

What is the space I marked in yellow?

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Is that necessary? I mean is there other access?

• strawberry47
    7 years ago
    Adding more wardrobe space. If you move the entrance from the hall further along the wall for each bedroom you can fit another wardrobe in each room ( behind where the door swings into the rooms ).
  • strawberry47
    7 years ago
    What are you plans for the existing bathroom?
  • Tiffany Richards
    Original Author
    7 years ago

yes the hall will lead to a door. There is another door outside but it is in our current bedroom which may be a guest room and we didn't know if we wanted the only access in and out where guest might be. But yes eliminating 2 back doors would free up space. I do like maybe moving the doors and adding another closet there! The existing bathroom will stay a bathroom for guest, and for when we have 4 teenage girls, lol.

• Tiffany Richards
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I should probably mention we have a pool which is another reason we wanted a door in the addition so wet kids have easy access to their rooms and aren't traipsing through the house on wood floors. And this house is actually one huge house that was divided in two. My parents and little sister are on the other, larger, side. So when they are older if space does become an issue we may have the option to ship one over to one of my parents extra rooms

• strawberry47
    7 years ago
    So the existing bathroom is for guests and your future teenagers. I'd make sure it has a window as it looks like the ensuite blooms its existing window.
  • strawberry47
    7 years ago
    I mean blocks!! The existing window.
  • Tiffany Richards
    Original Author
    7 years ago

yes the master bath will cover its current window. its layout does have space to add one. we plan on remodeling it later down the road anyway so that could be done then if we want

• Grace O' Malley
    7 years ago

My master bedroom is only about only about 10 square feet larger than the kids' bedrooms in your plan. I think a few things to ask yourself is:

1. Would I want to share this size room with a sibling for several years?

2. How am I going to have a little privacy when I'm a teenager?

3. Where will toys, sports equipment, etc. be stored?

If possible, I might would consider a slightly larger space. It's one thing to share that size room with your spouse, you want to be close to them usually but siblings often want to be apart, especially as they get older.

• Tiffany Richards
    7 years ago
    I actually have 3 sisters so I did have to do some room sharing and it was not always pretty. But I also dont think back to those times and still wish I'd had my room or think my life would have been so much better. While we want our kids to have a reasonable amount of space we also want them to grow up grateful for what they have. And part of why we are living in this house "with" my parents is to save money. We'd rather save our money and travel then have a large home. We are also trying to consider when they are old enough they can move "next door" or out guest room can be used if they can't stand one another, and when they move out we dont want a bunch of wasted space. I guess I should have mentioned as far as the kids rooms we want the space to be comfortable and what they NEED not necessarily what they (or us for that matter bc I'll have to deal with the bickering) WANT. If you all still think the rooms are on the small size I will maul it over. oh and toys, sports equipment will not be in bedrooms. we have a shed, a garage, and 2 extra rooms where i will make space for it.
  • Tiffany Richards
    7 years ago
    you all are really making me worry about those room sizes tho, lol. my parents keep saying theyre fine theyre fine, but i dont think they remember what having 4 teenage girls was like