Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerrpanda

What flooring to use with "orange" pine woodwork throughout the house?

Cookie Glaze
10 years ago
Help! We are ripping out the carpet, and want to install the same flooring (wood or tile, as we have pets) throughout the 1400 sq ft house. The entire house (open floor plan) is trimmed out in pine that has turned an orange-ish color. Baseboards, door and window trim, kitchen cabinets, closet bifold doors. What flooring would look good next to this? Is any wood out of the question? Thank you!

Comments (19)

• apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    A very dark but not black could work fine with the orange color, but will show dog hair. The cabinets in the photo don't look like any pine I have seen, do you know the details? Take a drawer with you to the flooring shop, saves time.

There have been several discussions recently about dog-friendly hard floors. You may find them helpful.
  • Cookie Glaze
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    You are correct, it's not pine, but it is the same color as the pine. My dilemma is that I have taken a piece of the baseboard with me, but to me nothing looks good next to it. I might add that we live in a Texas Hill Country town where everything is rustic or Tuscan-cozy, and we lean toward a more contemporary, cleaner, sleeker look than that. Hard to achieve with all pine trim, I know, but we're hoping to reach some compromise. Thanks for the dark-but-not-black suggestion. I'd not gone near that but will check it out.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    I have had similar issues - try a slate or anthracite floor
    Master Bathroom · More Info
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    How do you feel about painting the trim? I agree it is hard to achieve sleek and contemporary with orangey pine, but ASV Interiors color scheme above could work well.
  • zennifer
    10 years ago
    We installed a darker chestnut stained oak...it balances and blends the orange pine trim nicely while taking over the visual interest in the room...don't go TOO dark though, or the orange will glow against it. I'd consider ours a medium tone.
  • zennifer
    10 years ago
    We don't have baseboards here...foreclosure. But here's a pic.
  • zennifer
    10 years ago
    Hmmm...floor looks more orange than it is in the pic...
  • Cookie Glaze
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks, 2 great suggestions that I hadn't even looked at! Not interested in painting the trim. Too many projects ahead of that on the priority list! Appreciate the helpful ideas!
  • Cookie Glaze
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Like the slate or anthracite floor. Does anyone have any images of a different color wood floor with this trim? The flooring store tried to convince me that contrast would be good (darker wood with the pine trim), but I just can't see it.
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Hi Panda, how about a light maple flooring ?
    Kitchen 007 · More Info

Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

Mayo Woodlands · More Info

Kitchen 007 · More Info
  • Cookie Glaze
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Light maple has always been my favorite! Just got some samples on the floor and unfortunately, the maple I found is cooler than the hot orange pine and doesn't look good. Oddly, the dark that apple pie and zennifer mentioned (that I couldn't imagine), looks quite good, As does a multi-shade wood layout. Now, if I could only visualize it over the entire floor!! Don't know how designers do it!
    Next question: are there any rules regarding the direction of the wood when one is doing the entire house? Do you change direction for the hallways, bedrooms, etc..., or pick one direction and stick with it? My husband wants to change to suit each room, I'm not so sure about that.
  • zennifer
    10 years ago
    I would have your flooring running the same way. Traditionally it would be perpendicular to the joists...that's the way we ran our floors.
  • Cookie Glaze
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks to all! We have found the perfect flooring for the "orange" pine trim. It is Shaw's "Old Mill" hardwood. There are 3 colors and then a "designer blend" of 2of those. That blend brought everything together and has enough variation to be exciting. And we will lay them all in the same direction. I sure appreciate everyone's input!
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    10 years ago
    Jacobean stained White Oak or Black Walnut. Both would look really nice.
  • msongy
    10 years ago
    Take a cabinet door off and go to a flooring showroom. The cabinets will reflect some of the surrounding color, and will appear to change color as a result. Colors you may rule out might actually work if everything blends well. Those that suggest almost black or anthracite or even white are making the assumption that you love your cabinet color so much that you don't want to alter the look of the cabinet at all - even with nothing more than reflected light.

People tend to accessorize with silver and black because "it goes with everything" - when the truth is silver reflects everything, and black reflects some (if glossy) or nothing (if flat) - but neither change the tone of the primary color of the setting (or outfit). Accessorizing or complementing one color with another takes nothing more than trial and error. It's like wine. Expensive or cheap doesn't matter, if you don't like it!
  • msongy
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Also, I detect blues in your light coming from perhaps a window behind the camera? And fluorescent lighting above? If you have plants near windows - in or out - with lots of green, that will be reflected inside as well. The wrong lighting can make ANYTHING ugly!
  • msongy
    10 years ago
    A good way to test things is to use a digital camera that has lots of adjustable features, especially the ability to choose ambient lighting (natural daylight, indoors, direct sunlight, fluorescent, tungsten, incandescent, etc.). If you haven't done this before, it's a great way to easily see the effects of different lighting on the same subject. Also, I'm not a big fan of canned lighting for this very reason. You have a completely different tone in the center of the light than in the darker edges.
  • msongy
    10 years ago
    BIG question no one has asked - what color are your counters?