Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irissto

Do you have any "odd" plants?

Most of the stuff I have been planting for the last 15 years are either for bees, butterflies or birds. I still have some weird ones around though. "Stinky" has been in this spot for at least 15 years and is now flowering for the second time. Most years it comes up in Spring, gets killed by a late frost and is not seen until the next year. This had me wondering if all the plants in a butterfly gardeners garden do have a purpose, or if you have the occasional oddball. Be glad the picture doesn't come with the smell.....

Comments (12)

• Jacob Berg
    7 years ago

I always plant dusty elders in my gardens, it was the first plant I ever grew with my Grandmother. Otherwise every plant has some sort of purpose. Also they are all pretty so its a win win situation!

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked Jacob Berg
  • Rhonda
    7 years ago

Iris...I love that you named your plant stinky :) I have put non-butterfly plants such as ferns in my butterfly gardens as fillers and for the attractive foliage.

Rhonda

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked Rhonda
  • MissSherry
    7 years ago

I don't have any oddities in my garden, nearly all of my plants are for butterflies, Iris. I have some just for the smell of the flowers - gardenias and roses, and some for fruit - blueberries, and I just recently planted plums and pears.

Your plant must be some type of Asian arum? It's indeed odd looking! :)

Sherry

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked MissSherry
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for giving Stinky a real name, I never knew. I do have blueberries and such, but they make the carpenter and bumble bees happy. Stinky just has some flies buzzing around.

• gardenfullofswallowtails
    7 years ago

It's actually really pretty for being the odd plant. I like the purplesque color. Purplesque is probably not a word. haha

• chrholme
    7 years ago

I live in your typical neighborhood type setting and although we have a large lot (2 large backyards and a smaller front yard, think pie piece shaped lot!), every plant has some kind of purpose even if it's just to add aesthetics. I suppose the only one that has a purpose but never delivers is my meyer lemon tree. :) I cross my fingers every year for lemons though!

I love your "stinky" plant! :)

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked chrholme
  • ily68
    7 years ago

Very beautiful flower. I wouldn't mind having one like that in my garden. I'm always looking for butterfly/bee plants. I have a very good size yard, I plant all along the side of the fence thru out the back yard. I love seeing seeing the butterflies and bees in it. Right now, I am looking for one that I must have, for the front of my house, Dombeya burgessiae (Seminole). I saw it at Fairchilds, the new butterfly garden, and it's gorgeous. I have the space ready for when I get it. It's expensive for me right now, but the nursery that I saw it it, doesn't have the smaller one, only the bigger one. Waiting for it to come back, would love to have it.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked ily68
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I looked up the Dombeya. Very pretty. So it is hardy for you?

• ily68
    7 years ago

Yes it is, I live in Miami, FL, zone 10b. This article talked about it, http://archive.naplesnews.com/lifestyle/neapolitan/winter-winner-dombeya-is-floridas-colorful-answer-to-hydrangea-ep-385375423-339903931.html. We saw the plant at Fairchilds, and the bees and butterflies were all over it. I can't wait to plant it!!!

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Good luck! Would love to see some pictures!

• ily68
    7 years ago

As soon as I plant it, I will post the pictures. I have a butterfly garden, and love adding to it.