Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davidleroy1970

Help me style my mid century - eclectic bedroom!

Angela E
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

So I recently decided to redecorate my master bedroom which is basically the last room in my mid century split level that I've put forth my energy and creativity (and my money). Last week I scored this awesome mid century king bed frame with floating night stands for $400 (I've seen it selling for $1500 other places) and that spurred my redecorating. We had to buy a new mattress, new linens, etc... And I already had a basic concept in mind but I'm an amateur designer and I second guess myself a lot which is where you come in. If you arent mad about mid century or modern boho/Scandinavian themes then you might not relate to this design dilemma and you might not get me.

So I'm starting with the basics here folks: I have my bed frame, lamps, white curtains, accent chair (which I'm not married to). But I need suggestions on artwork, a rug (8 by 10- should get the rug I have in mind - see photo) and whether or not I should paint a dark blue accent wall behind the bed (see inspiration photos), and what should I do about the large mirror bc it doesn't feel like it belongs with my theme but it's so functional to my daily life.

I know I've got a good start here but any and all advice on extra design elements would be appreciated. Feel free to photo shop your ideas or provide links to actual framed prints or art I should consider.

Thank you in advance!

before

After

(the door to the left of the mirror is our bathroom and the door to the right is our walk in closet)

The rug I want plus extra design inspirations

Comments (30)

• Angela E
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• calidesign
    6 years ago

I like the rug. I don't usually suggest accent walls, but I think in your case the dark blue behind the bed would look great. I would also paint the frame of your mirror the same blue color. I would get woven wood roman shades for the windows to replace the white drapes.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

A dark blue wall behind the bed would be awesome. Try some sample boards but I would start with SW 9185 Marea Baja. It is a beautiful color that I believe would go very nicely with your rug. Your instincts are right on the mirror. Too modern and it isn't good in your bedroom. Perhaps it could lean in a hall nearby or a bathroom? You don't have enough wall space for it in this room. The plant and chair could be better. The plant prevents someone sitting comfortably in the chair. Here is something that might work better and keep in your styling.

Lumisource Vintage Flair Chair, Blue · More Info
    Compact, and mid-century looking and comes in several different colors.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Art is very personal and with the rug I get more of a tribal, exotic look than mid-century. In fact, I think exotic would work well mixed with your great bed piece. That would open more art options too. Is that something you have considered?
  • Angela E
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Calidesigns, I get where your coming from with the woven wood roman shades. I've considered this look (see photo) with the shades behind the curtains. I really appreciate how the long curtains lengthen the height of the room so I will be keeping them because we don't have tall ceilings and without the curtains, the window just feels short and cut off. But thanks so much for your suggestions. I'm super apprehensive about the accent wall (I know it's just paint) but it feels permanent like it can't be undone if it doesn't work. The rational side of me knows that's not true of course.

• Angela E
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Flo, yes, I'm very open. I'm not looking for a strictly mid century theme for the entire room but more of an eclectic vibe with boho/Scandinavian/tribal influence. I probably should have emphasized that in my original post and not assumed people could read my mind. I'm very minimalist too so it needs to be calm and beautiful. Thanks for your input! It is greatly appreciated.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

I have found some other looks for you to consider since your room already has a white wall background that might appeal.

Butterfly Beach Villa · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Homes Portfolio · More Info
    I like this very monochromatic look which I think would really work in your room.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Mid Century on the Ridge · More Info
    Kind of your eclectic/mid-century look. Notice the green ceiling! That is very interesting. This is a low ceiling as well and look how it elevates the ceiling. That is because dark colors recede! Love the wall hanging as well. that is a great piece. Might be able to make something like that and duplicate for bargain price. It appears to be a fabric piece hanging on a wood flat rod.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

San Francisco Flat · More Info
    Bright rug, white on white with pop of cobalt blue pillow. Also you have a feathery fern but your really need bold sculptural leaves on a single plant or a couple cut leafs in a interesting vase.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Fremantle House · More Info
    Last one for tonight, but has interesting rug, art and simple bedding, monochromatic kind of look with the splashes of black. Nice furniture too like yours in that great wood look. Enjoy!

• PRO
    Corinne Natel Art Ltd
    6 years ago

Here are some original artwork suggestions below. For more information feel free to email me:
    design@corinnenatel.co.uk

• Angela E
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Flo! I agree about the plant. I need something taller somewhere, maybe in that corner where the fern is but then I don't know if I can have both a tall plant and a chair in that corner due to the limited space. I love the design look of a fiddle leaf fig like the one in your photo but I went to the garden center this weekend and they are $200. I need to look at a cheaper alternative for sure. I still don't know what to do with the mirror. I contemplate painting the mirrors frame gold. The jury is still out on that one.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

What a gorgeous find!

If you are looking for an affordable fiddle leaf fig, try Home Depot or Lowes. They are around $40.

For the mirror, I would sell your current mirror and purchase one with a very thin frame, keeping with the MCM design. Also, I think an accent wall would look great against the wood finish and bronze lamps.

For artwork, I know Amber Interiors (the designer of the last photo) usually prints large photographs that are white and light with a lot of negative space.

Lastly, I would replace the curtain rod with something more modern, Urban Outfitters has an amazing one for $39 (see last photo). I also like calidesign idea of woven blinds.

Metal Wood Floor Mirror

Gray Waters Print

Hope this helps!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

A mirror facing the bed is not a good idea from a Feng Shui point of view if you are into that. That is basically a "functional" mirror in this space, so can it lean on a wall in the closet? Or even in an entry way. You would still get the "full view" mirror. If you select a small enough tall fiddle leaf and a small scale chair they could live together in that corner. You can "trim" leafs off the fiddle fig with no real problem. Just leave a couple 3 at the top. It would look interesting and probably promote better future height. I would look at Lowes or your local big box nursery centers too, just examine them carefully and keep it quarantined until you are sure there are no "critters" accompanying them into your home! For your room, I might go to my Asian artificial plant people who make the most amazingly real plant material. It would cost a bit more, but never dies and don't have to worry about it at all. Just an occasional dusting!

• PRO
    Nicola Interiors
    6 years ago

Love the new bedroom, rug, and above accent wall idea. Here are a few other ideas that might work well with your new bedroom. Why not try some great artwork, a chair, pillows, and some accessories?

Leeward Renovation · More Info

• Angela E
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So I finally had some free time to make some mock ups today. Do we like the blue accent wall? I used the blue from the rug to paint it on there. Do we like the wood wicker shades look? Any and all input appreciated! I'm still unsure of bedding but I'm planning on a white comforter with accent blanket. I still really dig the rug but I'm nervous that my husband will see the pink in it and freak out. So I usually don't ask his permissionbut rather his forgiveness after I buy something.

• calidesign
    6 years ago

The blue wall is perfect, and I like the shades and rug. White bedding would be great. I would look for art that is more restful though - maybe a landscape or something with more muted colors.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Blue wall good you could go a shade darker. Rug good. Like woven shades adds to eclectic look. Agree on artwork comment. Do you sew or use iron no sew projects? You could make a neat wall hanging and keep eclectic look going. I would prefer a long, more narrow piece to emphasize and repeat the long headboard and nightstand design. Going to be great!
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Looks great! I too would go with a darker blue wall color. Love the texture the window shade gives to the room. For the bed spread I would do a down comforter with a linen duvet cover. I feel like linen adds a bit of texture and interest. White or tan would look great in there...along with the accent throw, like you mentioned.

• cpaul1
    6 years ago

Not my style, but your inspiration pictures remind me of Studio McGee on youtube.

• Angela E
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Still working on it. I bought this cool (Turkish/native?) rug runner ar Goodwill for $10 so it's serving it's small purpose as a pop of color in the room for now until I decide on an overly expensive area rug. I love my lamps- what do you think? And I'm still nervous to paint the accent wall so it's still white for now. I bought my new bedding but the accent throw is borrowed from the living room so it's not my final throw blanket. Plus the accent bed pillow is actually what I use on the accent chair in the room but I used it for styling this picture. I can't justify spending money on accent bed pillows that will just get tossed on the floor at the end of the night (assuming I even make the bed properly) so I just won't bother because they are not practical.

The art is above the bed is too small and is temporary only because I'm the artist and I have an over abundance of my own art- modern bohemian wall hangings like that (if youre interested in purchasing one of my pieces contact me at modfiberart@gmail.com).

• calidesign
    6 years ago

I think the gold throw is fighting with the new rug. I would use one or the other but not both. The lamps are great. I can still see your wall in blue. It would complete the space while still keeping the room restful. If you don't like accent pillows (I also find them annoying) you can use colored or patterned pillowcases instead, which serve the same purpose but don't need to be removed.

Angela E thanked calidesign
  • Pool Habit
    6 years ago

You could do the wall blue if you want but I am loving the white.

Angela E thanked Pool Habit
  • w93639
    6 years ago
    !! Great bed !! Great lamps !!
    Love the wood , dark , not navy blue, white and plant green color scheme with the gold/ brass accents
    Try your fern in the corner near your bed like the first Ange post.
    Try making a larger one of your art pieces with blue gold white and green ... The small one is very cool.
    Add color with your chair pillow and a throw until you find the perfect rug .
    Love the mirror that was posted ! It fits with the furniture .
    Angela E thanked w93639
  • kcccrn *
    6 years ago
    Love the bed, the dark blue accent wall, and rug. I'd make the wood blinds slightly darker than in your mockup. Definitely the MCM chair and a plant. How about a sunburst mirror? Or one on the inside back of a door?
    Angela E thanked kcccrn *
  • blaze_1508
    6 years ago

We used similar inspiration photos for our navy blue accent wall (Benjamin Moore Hale Navy). We painted our entire living area and rooms (not Blue) and we always smile when we go into our master and see the blue. It's the best color decision we made.

Angela E thanked blaze_1508
  • PRO
    Michelle Scott for Ethan Allen - Laguna Niguel, CA
    6 years ago

With the current runner, here are some suggestions -

Vita bedding

african-basket framed

Angela E thanked Michelle Scott for Ethan Allen - Laguna Niguel, CA
  • w93639
    6 years ago

Hello again...

Just found this on Bed Bath and Beyond...here you get a big solid blue without painting , pillow shams for free and it can either cover the bed when you make it or act as a throw if you don't ! and the price !! (59.99) They also have a few more in different shades of dark blue .

In my area HomeGoods has the best mirrors both in selection and price. They also have throws. Tuesday Morning carries inexpensive fun grommet drapes and pillows.

If you are only using your chair for interest , could you ? would you paint it a bold color ? and if you use it for clothes at night, would you consider a tree shaped coat rack ? white against white or paint it an accent color

white coat rack from amazon (hope this link works)

and from Bed Bath and Beyond