Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_koppelkam

Huge empty space, ugly chairs, pink velvet couch

Sarah
6 years ago

My boyfriend and I are broke twenty-somethings (he's a server, I'm a teacher) in our first home. We stumbled upon an incredible deal on a mid-century rental home, and we love the place so much. Hardwood floors, giant windows, huge back porch, working fireplace. The issue is the living room... it's so big and all of our current furniture is a mishmash of secondhand stuff, leading to a space that isn't beautiful or even really functional. Every other room in the house makes me so happy but this one is supremely "meh."

Adding to the challenge are two pieces of furniture. The first is a couch that I am completely in love with, pictured below. I found it for $50 at a secondhand store and reupholstered it myself in pale pink velvet. I am so pleased with how it came out, and would love for it to be a statement piece in the room, but right now it is just an awkward anomaly. The style of the couch is more vintage, but my style in general tends towards more contemporary/bold, so I'd love to pieces in that style that complement it.

Next are the giant red upholstered chairs in the middle of the room. My boyfriend and I also live with a roommate, whom we love... but I do not like her chairs. She bought them thinking they went with the couch and now I feel like the whole room looks too dated and formal. I'd love for it have a more casual, cozy feel. But yeah, the chairs have to stay in some regard...

Open to all ideas! We are definitely on a budget, but I love shopping secondhand so I'll take ideas and shop secondhand for cheaper options or DIY them. The photos are quite dark, but the room gets a good amount of light in the daytime. Walls are all white. Another question that I'm struggling with is wall decor... we can't afford the kind of large art that would do these walls justice. Gallery wall? Also, the rug is a really nice piece left by our landlord, and has lots of reds and blues, but really could go with any color scheme.

Oh, and there's the fireplace, which works and is super nice to sit around in the winter, so I'd love to make that more of a focus as well.

This is a tough one, folks!

Comments (32)

• Jennifer
    6 years ago
    It's weird. for some reason the picture doesn't show when I click through but I can see it small on the thumbnail. I think you need to get rid of something traditional, maybe the rug? You just have a lot of conflicting elements. Mid century design and the big view of outside calls for sleek low profile furniture; and you kind of have the opposite. Id want to unify as many pieces as possible in a neutral color like white or gray. Pink would work ok with that. Id also consider eliminating what looks like an upholstered beige easy chair. Maybe a sleek upholstered bench with metal legs?
    Sarah thanked Jennifer
  • Geneviève
    6 years ago

Most of us have begun like you have ,we will find a solution to make things work for you , begin by making a conversation area things are kept too far apart , keep things close as much that you can , add a few pillows to the sofa and if you can later on get a larger rug too,

Family Room with French Doors · More Info

Sarah thanked Geneviève
  • Sarah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

TV location is very flexible. There are outlets on that wall, the wall where the clock is, and over in the corner by the desk. And yes, I'm not attached to the chair next to the TV at all, it's a leftover from college. And trunk by the stairwell is just a firewood holder. Can certainly move.

• Geneviève
    6 years ago

For the sofa

Square Woven Decorative Afternoon Stroll Throw Pillow Cushion Cover, 1 Piece · More Info

• annied75
    6 years ago
    Hi -- I think the issues could easily be solved by changing the furniture layout & adding some accessories. First, your couch & the chair (by the TV) need to be moved away from the walls & brought into the room. I would place the couch where the two chairs are & place the front two couch legs on the rug. Move the chair by the TV & place it where the couch is located in your photo. However, bring the chair's two front legs onto the rug. The coffee table could then stay in front of the couch. You could then move the two chairs to face the fireplace (maybe?). I would also add some funky pillows to the couch, so it will have a fun / eclectic look.
    Sarah thanked annied75
  • annied75
    6 years ago
    I would also move the bookcase between the two windows -- under the picture & wall sconce.
    Sarah thanked annied75
  • Sarah
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thanks all! Any suggestions on pieces that could add more of a mid century look to the room, while still working with the couch and chairs? Don't be afraid to suggest big changes for me, ya'll! I love a challenge.

• Denise Marchand
    6 years ago

It would help if you could measure the room and I will do a floor plan for you. First take overall dimensions of the room. Then just go around the room and take every measurement: Corner to window frame > window including frame > frame to corner > corner to fireplace? > fireplace, etc. You get the idea. Include the sill height and the ceiling height (lowest height and tallest). Take more pics: entering the room and view from each corner out.

It's certainly a fantastic space, so it will be difficult to mess up. Nice sofa and looks like you did a great job reupholstering. It's very Victorian, consider looking for items to bridge the MCM. The rug is good and can stay. I love to work around existing pieces my clients have already. And everyone knows I'm a craigslist freak. You don't have to get rid of anything. Let's see what we can come up with.

Would love to help! And it's true, we all started out the same way.

Sarah thanked Denise Marchand
  • User
    6 years ago

Just commenting to follow. I just love your pink sofa...love your rug.....love your fireplace.

SO happy that you didn't choose gray :)

Dare to be you. Kudos.

Sarah thanked User
  • jdgail
    6 years ago

Lucky you! Great house and fun start on furnishings.. I would turn the rug (leave edge at same place) and bring the sofa forward to place front legs on it-still facing fireplace with coffee table in front of sofa. Swing the comfy chair around to desk side of window and put at an angle to face sofa and TV. Place TV chest along that window just left of comfy chair to serve as side table. Invest in a floor lamp to go behind comfy chair when you can. Move console table currently under clock over for TV and put bookcase under clock. Put matching chairs in far corner between windows and behind sofa.. Invest in a small game table to go with them.

Enjoy the hunt and please share your updates! Congrats!

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago

Love that Empire sofa and the pink velvet fabric…love the rug, as well.

The house, as much as you love it, is not yours. The sofa and the rug are yours.

I would build on those two pieces and when you finally own your home, you will have everything you want in your home.

I love Empire… you get beautiful wood and yet you can update it, as you did with the pink velvet, for a 21st century look.

Here are 6 dining chairs for $899.00 on ebay. Wood is gorgeous. Imagine if you changed the fabric on the seats?

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

Rearranging your furniture into more of a conversation grouping will definitely help. Following along to see how it all turns out!

• havingfun
    6 years ago

what color is that other chair? the odd man out? how do you feel about boho style? we should be able to at least unite the couch and the pinks with pillows. i know there are many pillows, but amazon actually has pillows and covers for under $2, nice looking ones too! they change weekly. and no they are no polyester. eww, that might be an idea

Amazon.com: pillows - Decorative Pillows, Inserts & Covers / Bedding: Home & Kit · More Info

Amazon.com: YITL Nepal Embroidery Pattern Pillow Sham,Handmade Exquisite Embroid · More Info

Amazon.com: YITL Nepal Embroidery Pattern Pillow Sham,Handmade Exquisite Embroid · More Info

definitely modern.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

i would like to see a different table too? they are often very inexpensive or paint it? how about the 3 chairs to around the tv. the couch for lounging in front of the fire.

• leelee
    6 years ago

Try bringing the sofa to where the chairs are now. Then place a chair on each end of the rug so they'd face each other.

Move the clock to near the desk.

Can you show a picture with new arrangement, please?

It will look similar to this when furniture is moved.

• leelee
    6 years ago

Would your roommate allow you to upholster the chairs to a lighter less formal fabric?

This would also be really interesting for her chairs. Solid on one side and wild print for the other.

• teamaltese
    6 years ago
    IMO, what makes a room interesting is the juxtaposition of opposite styles. I'd pair that lovely sofa with a DIY surfboard coffee table, a couple of low chairs, and a large arc floor lamp. I'd place that group at the windows. The two traditional chairs can be slipcovered or reupholstered in a modern print, in colors that include a darker version of the pink velvet. I'd place a modern glass table at the fireplace with the chairs. The bases of the coffee table should match. There appears to be a large upholstered chair, I'd move that to another room. If you provide a floor plan, we can give a better idea of placement.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/181096518/36-diamond-tail-surfboard-coffee?utm_campaign=shopping_us_HandsOverTimber_sfc_osa&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_custom1=0&utm_content=9012698&gclid=CIrWoMHx2NMCFdZahgodAnUJYQ
    Sarah thanked teamaltese
  • Geneviève
    6 years ago

if the walls are all white then you play with colours if you decide to add curtains ,take a look at this idea photo and envision your sofa

Rittenhouse Historic · More Info

Sarah thanked Geneviève
  • Geneviève
    6 years ago

remove the clock it seem to be too high anyway and relocate it ,try something like this

Rittenhouse Historic · More Info

• Geneviève
    6 years ago

Since you were so well talented with your sofa then you could purchase some fabric to sew panels for your windows, you could also ask your Landlord if he would be so kind to add the rods , this would save you some money . You can frame fabric too if you like.

• Sarah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks folks! I'm going to take measurements and get back to you all tomorrow. Loving all the feedback.

• jdgail
    6 years ago

Have a glass of...............and push some furniture around.......best way to fall even more in love with your great house...Happy Friday all...

• havingfun
    6 years ago

shall i ditch those pillows?

• PRO
    Nandina Home & Design
    6 years ago

The layout feels a bit odd. Perhaps try to put one of those red chairs on each side of the sofa instead of how they are now.

Traditional Cedar Creek · More Info

• Sarah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Update! Re-arranged some furniture. No money for anything new at the moment, but I think moving the furniture away from the walls helped a lot. Not sure what to do with that wall without the windows that currently has the New Yorker poster.

• Geneviève
    6 years ago

try the 2 matching chairs or you will need another chair beside the lighter one also did you try with the rug turned instead of the long way.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

if stove is to be the center piece you might wish to move chair to side? come back when ready and say what you wish to work on and we will be here. remember to enjoy!

• partim
    6 years ago

For the summer, your focal point should be the view out the large window. Ignore the fireplace. I'd align your furniture like this. You haven't given us measurements so I'm guessing that this fits.