Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macswim

bathroom tile. floor, floor/shower, floor/shower/wall?

Macswim
6 years ago

I have a small bathroom that is 50 square feet. I've picked out a cement tile and had planned on doing the room and shower floor with it. About to order, then I thought maybe I should do the back wall of the shower too. Or maybe no shower at all. Thoughts? (should I post on design dilemma?) Tiles are 8 x 8". Thanks!

Comments (37)

• MongoCT
    6 years ago

I'd think twice about using encaustic tiles on the shower floor due to the potential for them to absorb and hold water. If your manufacturer has treated them in some way, or if they are machine pressed and less porous, then all may be well. If you haven't already, I recommend you ask them before proceeding.

I'm not much of a design guru, but sometimes too much of a highly stylized thing can be too much.

I love encaustic tiles, but I try to not go overboard with them.

Bathroom floor? Sure. In the shower, maybe use them in limited fashion as a design feature as the back wall of a niche. Or perhaps a rectangle of encaustic, framed, as a design element on a shower wall.

Macswim thanked MongoCT
  • roarah
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Make sure the tile is rated for showers first. I feel in love with an encaustic tile, planned everything around it but in the end it was not suitable for bathrooms. Check the tiles DCOF and porousness first. Cement acts alot like marble. Both are beyond beautiful but both can have big issues in showers.

it is a beautiful tile!

Macswim thanked roarah
  • enduring
    6 years ago

Mongo and @roarah. Does encaustic tile need to meet the floor joist deflection score, as does stone? Thinking about this it seems as though it should, but have never heard.

Macswim thanked enduring
  • roarah
    6 years ago

Good question Enduring. I did not know the answer but upon googling I found that Mango answered this question in 2014 and yes it is a concern! http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2256747/pros-and-cons-of-encaustic-cement-tiles-as-bathroom-floor

Macswim thanked roarah
  • Macswim
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well I called and it is shower ok. I'll have to read the post bc I didn't understand your question!!

• Macswim
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok I understand. The ones I'm looking at are hand pressed. They recommend a specific sealant. But I think I need to reconsider the shower floor bc of the dip in the floor and its a smallish shower and these are 8 x 8 tiles....

• Macswim
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I guess I am asking about the visual as well. Any thoughts there?

• Fori
    6 years ago

I'd pick one of the blues or maybe white for the shower floor (do it in a small tile to get the slope and slip-resistance) and then maybe the big tile on the back shower wall and floor?

Also, what's the manufacturer of the tile, for those of us who like it a lot? :)

Macswim thanked Fori
  • Macswim
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It's Riad tile. Very excited to find it . Got samples in the mail the other day and they sure look like the real deal.

I think I like your idea. I'm going to try and find a white for the floor, might do the traditional hexagon, and then maybe look at doing the back wall. Hopefully not too busy. Here is the other sample I got

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

My vote would be just floor no shower, and then maybe a shower wall..or maybe a bench if you'll have it? or keep it on the floor skip the wall altogether? Depends also on how much geometrical pattern you can take, how much sharp contrast..we're all different in that regard, but you know yourself.

These are very slippery. I don't care who says what, I only care what's my chance to fall, so I always try tiles myself with spraying some water on it.

I'm totally enchanted with cement tiles but that was the reason I didn't go with them in the bathroom. Shower floor: first they need to be 4 by 4 max(unless you have that linear drain)..second, to me would be a recipe for disaster.

Granted I'm clumsier than most. But everybody can feel dizzy sometimes, or something.

The tile itself is gorgeous, I'm not questioning that for a moment.

So I think you're right deciding to use it if you feel it's safe for you, it is a beautiful choice(I especially love the blue one, but that's a personal preference thing obviously..), and you're right to go with a different material for a shower floor. Make sure to have a towel/a rug/a mat when you step out..check if these must be sealed..ah I see that you did already..and they'll probably hold better if you don't keep them too wet, wipe them dry.

I have a very porous tile myself in the bathroom(terracotta), probably more porous though..that was the maker's recommendation for them.

Macswim thanked aprilneverends
  • Olychick
    6 years ago

That blue tile is spectacular. I wouldn't want anything but a plain ole white shower, crisp and clean, with that blue on the floor of the bathroom only. Maybe a coordinating blue tile somewhere as an accent in the shower, bench, niche, or ? I like the secure footing of a smaller tile on the floor of the shower.

Macswim thanked Olychick
  • Fori
    6 years ago

Thanks for the info. You WILL post photos once you get started. You must! :)

Macswim thanked Fori
  • PRO
    Creative Ceramic & Marble/ Bill Vincent
    6 years ago

"Does encaustic tile need to meet the floor joist deflection score, as does stone?"

Enduring-- if you're talking about the shower floor, it's a non-issue, if it's a true mud pan (as opposed to the newer foam pans)The mortar bed won't allow any kind of flex to reach the tile. That said, I have to agree with everyone else, re using cement tiles on the floor of a shower. Not a very good idea, due to absorbtion.

• Macswim
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That is good to know Bill!

And yes Not Pleased, I will definitely post. Haven't done a project to post since 2009, so it's been fun being back on here. I'm doing the whole house so I will have a LOT more questions!

• enduring
    6 years ago

Bill, I was meaning just on the floor in general, does it have to meet the deflection requirement. Good to know that deflection is a non issue with a true mud pan.

• enduring
    6 years ago

Thanks Bill.

Macswim thanked enduring
  • ephillips5
    6 years ago

I LOVE that tile! I'm in the middle of bathroom reno right now and I'm putting cement tile on the floor and continuing into the shower floor. Click my profile to see my design dilemma! It is fine as a shower floor with the correct sealant. I'm not doing it up the wall, mostly because I didn't plan for that before I ordered and it was expensive to ship. I'm currently trying to decide on the wall tile. Need to keep it simple because the floor is the star. My tile has a cream base and I'm not sure if I should still do a basic large format white subway or a (twice as expensive) off white (but the toilet is still white . . .)

Definitely post your finished product!

• Macswim
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It's getting there. I am using a very large "subway" tile in the shower wall. It looks great so far...havent grouted yet!

• ephillips5
    6 years ago

Gorgeous!!

• PRO
    Momentum Janitorial
    6 years ago

Hey Macswim,

Good query you have.Bathroom is really beautiful with lovely tiles.I love the tile in that shower.I also have some couple of ideas on this topic.You can use a neutral tile color that maintains the airiness of the bathroom.Nice share indeed. The utmost vital point of tile for bathroom is a rough surface to make sure we are safe while taking bath.Consider slip resistant tiles on the floor.

Macswim thanked Momentum Janitorial
  • Ethan Harris
    6 years ago

Hi there I'm looking for this kind of design. Could you please tell me what is this tile called as? I found this on Google looks great though.

Macswim thanked Ethan Harris
  • clt3
    6 years ago

That tile looks like travertine.

• Macswim
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, I have that in my current bathroom. It is travertine.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Macswim, did you ever finish and do a reveal of your bathroom? Would love to see it.

• Macswim
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have not finished! Waiting on my painter to do the trim. I promise to post soon!

• Macswim
    Original Author
    6 years ago

OK, still not quite finished but mostly done! not crazy about the curtins in shower but trying things out. mirror is not up yet.

• tartanmeup
    6 years ago

Gorgeous!! Love that floor. (Getting storage envy too!) I really like your shower curtain but agree it's not great here. Would you welcome ideas for others?

Macswim thanked tartanmeup
  • Macswim
    Original Author
    6 years ago

yes please!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

Wow, macswim, that tile looks amazing! And all that closet space. Sigh.

For a curtain, I would consider something like this. I'd do it without the monogram, I think:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/wamsutta-reg-baratta-shower-curtain/3330528?categoryId=13475

That's just one example of a curtain style that's popular, so there are a lot of different variants at many price points. I'd tend to stay simple to avoid overshadowing that gorgeous floor. A dark curtain would work, too, but I personally don't usually like having those because they cut the amount of light while you're showering, unless you have a light in the shower (can't see in the pics).

Macswim thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • tartanmeup
    6 years ago

I can't help but picture orange with this blue. Or a saturated blue and white. A textured all white curtain would look great as well. In no particular order, here are links to a few colourful patterned ones I found:

Peaches - orange pink and green - Urban Outfitters

Blue and white - Urban Outfitters

Flamingo - Anthropologie

Orange Contemporary - Rachael Taylor - Wayfair

Medallion - Blue and White - Target

Navy & white - Wayfair (might be too dark)

Orange and white Ikat - Wayfair

Lime? (Doesn't look lime on my screen) - Red Barrel Studio - Wayfair

Moroccan Orange - Wayfair

I think you can have a lot of fun with your shower curtain. So many colours look good with this blue. The trick might be to match the colour intensity.

• tartanmeup
    6 years ago

Love writersblock's suggestion!

• Macswim
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Writersblock that's what I started with! I like the simplicity sans monogram.

I bought the curtains for the bedroom but they were too long. Wanted to get something up so it wasn't so cold.

Thanks suzmti for the suggestions! My daughter keeps saying we have to go to urban for the shower and mat. Guess will go take a look!

• Macswim
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh and you may be jealous of the storage, but my master bedroom has no closet... yet!

• Macswim
    Original Author
    6 years ago

one more pic of other direction. Still need put up art work and mirror.

• tartanmeup
    6 years ago

Online browsing isn't a chore for me today. :) Was just on Zara Home's website and they have some inexpensive white on white shower curtains. Subtle pinstripe and seersucker patterns. You might want to check out H&M as well. No clue about the quality of either place though.

Your space is truly gorgeous. Congrats!

Macswim thanked tartanmeup
  • H B
    6 years ago

Wow, that is just gorgeous! It’s beautiful!

Macswim thanked H B