Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Another Dress Challenge - MOB and MOG

Funkyart
6 years ago

Actually, for a sister. My sister and I were going to take our other sister (who loathes shopping) to the city to find both a mob dress and a mog dress-- but then we thought, you know what would be *more* fun is to order a bunch of dresses for her, get a bottle (or three) of wine and do an at home fashion show. I feared middle sister would be resistant to this but it turns out that she loves the idea. She's leaving all the choices up to us because we are more into fashion and because she feels overwhelmed by the choices... the challenge for us is that she has a completely different shape and different coloring than we do. So I thought I'd open it up to the many fashion savvy women here.

Only a few guidelines:

• She has dark hair/blue eyes and will likely be fit and tanned after a summer on the water. She has no hips or butt.. and no defined waist. Her stomach isn't flat but it isn't big in the least. She's average height with a long waist.

• no preference on sleeves.. sleeveless is fine.

• no preference on sequins or lace or none-- but nothing too fussy

• no form fitted dresses.. and she'd prefer something that will create a waist for her

• she looks best in jewel tones

• no full length because both weddings are outdoors -- but she'd be willing to have a full length gown hemmed

• she'd prefer something below knee length

• No jacket.. but she'll wear a wrap in the evening.

Any and all suggestions appreciated-- please include brand or store with your suggestions! We're planning to order 10-12 styles for her to try.

Comments (115)

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago

SMH, yes.. I did notice that but most of the dresses I looked at ran true to size or even slightly large. I loved that a number of people shared photos in their reviews!

Yes, Oly, it's the same maker, so i'd guess very similar. The shorter dress would work better but it really isn't as elegant. Some of the reviews say it looked frumpy. Sigh.

and, really, the color is all wrong.

The Jason wu is gorgeous, JT.

Youngest sister is traveling with a Nordstrom next to her hotel. She bought something and will send a photo. I bought the elusive elie tahari bellamy (magenta lace) and the adela (navy lace). Still liking/looking at a few more of the suggestions.

Jojoco. I will check out the line later tonight. Thank you.

And thank you all. My apologies, I'll be off GW for the day-- but I'll catch up in the evenings.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

This is one I sent to her a few months back that she quite liked. I believe it is RL.. but I am not sure. It's jersey so body skimming.

Here is another RL I like.. I especially like that the jersey is so wearable. I have always loved this kind of neckline.

ETA I just bought the first dress from Saks Off Fifth.. along with a couple of others. I know it's a simple style but for someone who doesn't dress formally all that often, I think she'll find it very comfortable and wearable. We're on our way!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

I really like this Neiman Marcus dress, thought it's spendy. I think it would give anyone a wonderful shape and I think it would look great regardless of length and I bet it'd be great to dance in too with all the gathers in the front and back.

• Sugar Plum
    6 years ago

I was Mother of the Bride this past weekend :) This is what I wore:

https://www.azazie.com/products/azazie-iliana-bridesmaid-dress?color=stormy

The bridesmaids' dresses came from azazie.com too. They have a lot of styles, colors, and they are very affordable. In addition, they have a program where you can 'sample' dresses -- different styles, etc. for $10 per dress (up to three dresses). I did this with my three favorite styles -- it helped me decide on the right cut and style.

I was impressed with the quality, and it was delivered several weeks before the stated time. I got a ton of compliments on my dress -- no one realized it was actually billed as a 'bridesmaid' dress.

Good luck in your search. I had looked at department stores and hadn't loved anything when my daughter found the azazie site. It worked for both her bridesmaids and for the MOB!

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    6 years ago

I have the last dress that Funky posted as a possibility for my MOB dress. I got it at Macy's online for a great price during a sale. I believe it comes in the short length also. Nice quality for the price and comfortable.

• Lyban zone 4
    6 years ago

I love the dress that Annie posted.

• yeonassky
    6 years ago

Hi my name is Yeona and I have No hips, butt and waist. :) I have a larger bust and am short and short waisted though so a bit different. I am an inverted triangle shape. My shoulders are larger than my hips in other words.

"You are an inverted triangle if your shoulder or bust measurement is more than 5% bigger than your hip measurement (shoulders or bust ÷ hips ≥ 1.05)."

I find something that emphasizes my bust line and falls pretty much straight down with very little cling is the best for me. A flare at the bottom is very flattering on me I'm told. Also a jacket or shawl which creates a waist with a shadow works well. Satin type material emphasizes my straight waisted- ness due to the cling. Not your sister's problem but a belt never looks good as it disappears on me when I sit down. Maybe I need a girdle to wear one.

Annie's beautiful dress wouldn't work for me as it would emphasis my under the bust rolls on my 20 lbs overweight less than athletic body but it might work for her.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Annie, she'd love the color of that dress!

I just spoke to her on the phone-- we're not hounding her with styles or pictures, that's what wine & dress tasting is about.. but I did want to run the champagne floral past her because as much as it breaks the rules, it really looks like her.

She LOVES the dress but isn't sure if she can carry off the color or the style. She's most concerned about her height-- or lack of. It definitely isn't a dress you'd want to cut 6" off of. She's going to think about it but I think we're going to try it. We did discuss the shorter one-- but I think it just doesn't have the same impact. She also liked the blue Adela Mtn posted way up thread.

So she told me two key things tonight: 1. she'd really like something different.. unexpected and non-mother of the groom/bride and 2. She would love to try emerald green.

By different I am thinking she's thinking a little more boho than sophisticated. Maybe Boho Sopho? LOL is there such a thing? She loved a couple of the dresses on BHLDN very few of which are what I'd call normal MOB dresses.

• MtnRdRedux
    6 years ago

Her preference for strong colors may make her a good candidate for a mother-of-the-bride section; that is where you get the most solids in jewel tones. These all come in emerald-ish, purple, pink. Try Davids Bridal; its very reasonable too.

• MtnRdRedux
    6 years ago
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, these are the places to get any color you can dream up.. but the styles are soooo mother of the bride. She considered JJs House but nixed it (I don't remember why.. may have been return policy/not knowing the quality?)

Emerald would be for the fall wedding -- we looked at a few but they were screaming too hard for attention. That's not her goal. At all. I think blue-green would serve her better.. but I haven't found an appropriate dress in either color.

That's the problem with jewel tones-- they kind of smack you in the face (says the woman who lives in black, pale pink and ivory)

I am considering a version of a dress you posted above-- this one with cap sleeves. I like it in pink AND blue.. while the pink is pastel, there's a stronger color in it (and she will be tanned in Oct).

• MtnRdRedux
    6 years ago

Yes, TBH, i think the dresses on that site look a bit cheap, as so do many many wedding-related dresses. It almost reminds me of Halloween costumes; everyone knows that most of that stuff will be worn once and discarded. That's why I don't usually like MOB and MOG dresses per se.

I like the two you posted jsut above because they evoke lace, but are not. The scale of the pattern is larger and that makes it more youthful. And it pairs a very very simple cut with a pretty strong fabric, almost a brocade formality to it.

• amj0517
    6 years ago

Funky - I'm just browsing all the great suggestions here, but the wildcard dress is fabulous! Would you mind sharing the source?

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago

amj.. it's an Adrianna papell. I saw it at BHLDN but I've since seen it at Macys and Lord and Taylor. My younger sister (who is planning the dress tasting with me) thinks we should just order it and give it a go.. but I've since read that women are taking 6-10" off the bottom! That's almost all the floral detail!

I think at this point, I need to order it to get it out of our heads-- but I don't have high expectations for it to be THE dress.

Also, if you look at the reviews on BHLDN, the floral kind of disappears in the photos-- I suppose that's a good thing .. but it's also the only unique thing about the dress.

Oly posted a shorter version from Dillards.. and while it would work size/length wise, I think it lacks the formality of the gown.

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

I know you said black was out but this dress has a cool light embroidered neckline. And, the flair bit is at a safer distance near the bottom.

Anyway, you might want to look at the dresses, there is a nice different shade of blue dress and a few Boho styles...some will be too casual but not all.

https://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/product/embellished-pleathem-dress/570178970?color=001&catId=cat210002

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks JT.. i'll check out WHBM for other colors tomorrow but black is a deal breaker.

While I said boho, it was partially tongue in cheek.. it does still need to be formal. At least for the fall wedding. I think she can get sassier as the MOB in April.

• Olychick
    6 years ago

Ooh, this last one is very nice! I am not familiar with Dillards, don't think we have them here, but they seem to carry some name brands, so quality may be ok? I found them by googling dropped waist dresses, thinking that might be a good style, if you can avoid a flapper look. I found these (and about 25 others, but you should just look there yourself :-) I thought this was a really flattering style, but can't figure out if the embellishments would look gaudy:

the one above is probably the wrong color, but thought the cut was great.

The one above could go really wrong with purple and orange, or maybe not :-)

I wouldn't eliminate a strong, deep gray - it might not make her washed out, while a paler one would. Unless she hates it.

• rubyclaire
    6 years ago

I love this thread - so many great options! I almost posted Funky's wildcard dress but didn't because of length. However, I have had this version saved in my files as well because I thought it was a great short version of the dress. Unfortunately, Nordstrom doesn't carry it anymore. Not sure you would like this version or if it is worth trying to find but thought I would post so you could see.

I really like the navy and blush dresses Funky posted - those could be beautiful depending on fabric, etc.

Funky - I think this is such a great thing to do for your sister. You all will have such fun with a little wine and personal fashion show :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

The blue dress I posted above, I wouldn't do princess length but cut to the bottom of the knee would look very classy.

• eld6161
    6 years ago

I like all the ones Oly's just posted. The light blue especially looks like it could be flattering as well as comfortable on anyone.

• jojoco
    6 years ago

I just did a search on Amazon for "v neck formal dresses" in women's clothing. I used the filter "over $200" Here are a few of my favorites.( remember, I believe I am built very much like your sister and these would all work with my body. I'm 5 foot six, a C cup, and a size 4 in pants.)

( funny aside about the shoe in the bottom of some of these photos… A year ago I threw out my daughters shoes by mistake. She had moved out and left them. Turns out they were favorites and forgotten by mistake.Out of guilt I tried to replace them, but never did. Amazon won't let me forget )

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

• smhinnb
    6 years ago

Hi Funky - the blue & blush dresses you posted above - - can you tell me where you found the blush version?

• smhinnb
    6 years ago

Found it! NM - thanks. I think it's $77! What a steal.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Here
    are a few links to some I found at Nordstrom that I think would flatter someone
    with good shoulders. These are all from Nordstrom.

Also
    do look at Anthropologie on their dresses site (for wedding guests). There
    are some beautiful options.

I like these two even though they are pale, would look great on a dark-haired tan person.

And this one in coral looks lovely and even comfortable.

• terezosa / terriks
    6 years ago

I like the idea of playing up one's best features, like shoulders, rather than trying to "create" a waist. And have you noticed that the dresses with the belts and other features that highlight the waist look best on those who already have a nice nipped in waistline?

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I am just peeking between meetings. Will look more closely tonight. I saw some with good promise though. The NM dress wasn't that inexpensive last night but I did see a new promo pass in email. Hopefully it's still there tonight as I can't order from here. It's MY fav even if shorter than she thinks she wants. Ty all. Having a rough day so pretty dresses and shoe stories cheer me up :)

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

What sort of quality would this be? It's sort of pretty. It's on sale for $71 down from $225 . I would maybe wear this . If, it was made nicely.

• MtnRdRedux
    6 years ago

Poor Funky, she is sorry she asked us now! It is so funny, I've been looking at this thread for so long, that I see a dress I like and want to buy it. Then I remember, umm, this isn't for me. I have a waist, and all those other things, and I won't go braless or sleeveless, oh and I really don't wear dresses.

• yeonassky
    6 years ago

I hope your day improves Funky! So sorry that it's not fun right now.

MtnRdRedux I think you should play dress up if you're in the mood to. :) There are some lovely dresses here. Many at fair prices. Close your mouth Yeona and stop drooling... ;) Love the emerald green dresses. And the coral one. drool drool

• Rudebekia
    6 years ago

I'm not buying dresses at the moment (see the "lose 10 lbs" thread!) but I really enjoy seeing all the beautiful selections people have posted here. Thanks for posting everyone!

• eld6161
    6 years ago

It looks like Dillard's has a nice variety.

I like the top two that Oly posted.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Aww, no. It's been really really helpful to have all the selections-- even if they help me take styles or colors off the table. I am feeling a little burned out from shopping so I will take a day or two off, see the color and quality of the dresses enroute and then press forward.

Oly, I don't think darker pinks are off the table for the purple/orange wedding. First, the bride *loves* color and color combos. Second, the orange (which I actually think is a light coral-- but I haven't seen it) will be in flowers. dark dark purple and coral. This will be a happy occasion with happy colors. Much as I think the dark pink one you posted is great-- I think the MOG shouldn't be shiny. Maybe? Is that too old fashioned?

Rubyclaire, I think the style you posted that is no longer available would be much better than the short version currently available. It's really lovely and would be so perfect for a garden wedding (which this is).

1928Spanish, Oly, Jojoco and JT - those are some very pretty dresses I will check some of them out in the next few days. Jojoco-- so sorry to hear about your daughter's shoes-- but you know, I am sure she has NEW favorites now.

Outside, I love the texture and color of the two light pinks dresses.

I have lost track of how many dresses I have ordered-- maybe 8? 10? I think the fact that I've lost count is reason enough to take a short break. I'll keep looking but I'll hold off buying more until I have seen a few that are on their way.

Oh and Yeonasky-- my day got better :) All issues were resolved-- one with only minutes to spare-- but it was resolved! Thank you!

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Funkyart, I have learned a lot from your thread here. I don't wear dresses often and when I need one it's outright painful trying to find something. When you don't have hips it's so hard because most ladies dresses have a sort of hip area shape on the dress. If I look at a junior sized dress that tend to be a straighter cut ...the quality is often bad. Ontop of that I didn't know the name of the style I prefer for an online search.

Now I know.

V neck column sheath dress.

Of course within that search other neck lines come up but that's okay. And, at my age a sheath with a small amount of ruching is best.

• amykath
    6 years ago

Might be late and maybe off in this choice. It is from Macy's.

• Yayagal
    6 years ago

So which one did she choose?

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago

None of them have arrived as yet-- and then we need to get all three of our schedules together for the wine/dress evening. We're picking-- she's trying.

My youngest sister just returned to town and has only started looking (though we've been sharing photos back and forth).

I will surely let you know what she picked but even if she does choose a dress from our first group, it will be a wait.

• blfenton
    6 years ago

This sounds like so much fun. Wine and playing dress up - how fun!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

I usually find a lot of Kay Unger dresses that have a very flattering shape.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I was thinking Kay Unger would be an option but I just didn't find anything that looked just right. BTW Annie, I know you are an Kay Unger fan-- I saw a few on TJMaxx's web site (and a number of other surprising designers-- like Marchessa).

I ordered a few more dresses today and will now wait and see the results next weekend. I set the stage for my sis.. this is about trying some different colors and shapes. There's plenty of time to get a dress so no stress. Hopefully we'll narrow in on what she likes/what works for her and then we can go from there.

I thought we'd end up doing the same for my mom but she has one outfit down and is narrowing in on the second. Bravo for her!

I don't want to share all the dresses I ordered as there are limited sizes in many of them so I don't want to broadcast them to the world in case we need to go up or down a size.

Oh, and Oly, we have all agreed to consider some florals for the spring wedding.

Here's a small sample of what I ordered..

Badgley Mishka

Calvin Klein

Maggie London

Elie Tahari

JS Collection (this has arrived and while the dress itself is fine, I hate the embellishments. If this style works, I'll look into changing the beading at the waist)

Marina (also got in navy)

I think some of these may be too shape skimming for her preference but none of them are "too much dress" or too fussy.. which is also her preference.

Again, thank you all for your insight and guidance.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have not purchased this one because I don't think the style will work with her shape (and in the video, it looks like of stiff. I imagine she'd be very uncomfortable in it).. but my gosh, if I could pick a color for her, it would be this one. Who knows, in person the pattern could be garish. That's what I keep telling myself.

• cattyles
    6 years ago

My very favorite is the navy Burberry Keyhole neck JT posted waaaay up! It's exactly the kind of dress I would love. I am having war with my waist and I wish I could wear dresses with a defined waist but they make me utterly miserable.

• eld6161
    6 years ago

Funky, please take some photos of your sister in some of the favorites. Tell her that her cyber friends want to vote!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago

LOL.. that's not going to happen but I appreciate your enthusiasm, eld! I will share those that work/not though.

I am betting she will choose one of the dresses I have not posted.. if it's one of the above, I'd guess the Elie Tahari.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago

OK.. so we gathered this morning with champagne, wine and spanx-- and tried on a total of 14 dresses all lovingly hand-picked for her. It started out with a bang with the number one pick being the first she tried on. That always makes it easier when the first one fits, right? There were only a few complete misses.. and quite a few wins. Whew! I admit that I had fears of nothing working.

The super surprise is the number one pick broke all the rules. It was much shorter than she wanted (in the photo), a shape she was certain she couldn't wear (sheath) and it is a blush pink.. but it was perfect. She was smitten as soon as she saw it... Best of all, it fit her perfectly. No need for adjustments.

Next favorite was this one though I need to order a size larger (or she needs to have a rib removed). It is proving tricky to find the right size.. but this also looked absolutely beautiful on her-- better and dressier than in the photo.

This also fit her beautifully but the lace on the arms was scratchy. I think we are all in agreement that THIS is the color she needs for the fall wedding. We just need to find it in another dress.

And while this one looked stunning (and very slimming) on her-- it's been 100% nixed because it looks like something my mother wore to one of my sister's weddings. It's a shame because it was very comfortable and really looked great on her.. but we also agreed that it's too much bling for a MOG.

The hunt is now focused on that dark fuschia color. It really brought her face alive and looks stunning with the wedding colors. There are two other dresses that look great and would be perfectly fine-- but they are a tad "expected" for MOG. We're keeping one of those as a fallback.

Thank you all for all of your time and your many suggestions! Oly, I know I balked at the florals but we all agree that it's perfect for the spring wedding.

• MtnRdRedux
    6 years ago

What fun! Since that color will be hard to find, I'd go to a bridal salon. David's has many shades of purple. Then she can get the exact length she wants, a great fit, and the prices are pretty good too. I would actually look at bridesmaids dresses rather than MOB dresses, which are offensively dowdy and oversized IMHO.

• yeonassky
    6 years ago

So glad number one was a hit! :0) I find that happens sometimes to me. Still it's best to taste test as many as possible. I love that it broke most of the rules. It didn't break the most important rule though, that she's supposed to look and feel good in it! It's also great that there were quite a few that worked.

Love love love the fall colour dress! I'm told that's a good colour for me so I might be a tad biased. :). Now I'll be looking at dark fuschia coloured dresses with your sister in mind as well as the perfect top for mrrogerscardigan's skirt. I love all this vicarious shopping!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you.. it really was fun! Yeonassky, how sweet of you.

Yeah, I do think it will be hard to find that exact color but I think any color in that range will work. David's isn't likely to be an option. They were very unhappy with the staff while shopping for wedding dresses. Also, I think the quality is lacking.

I think sis was very pleasantly surprised by how many dresses fit her-- obviously some better than others but she really had a number to choose from. I think that's taken the pressure off.. and gave us a lot more options. Younger sis and I ordered a few more dresses.. we're not limiting ourselves to that dark fuchsia but it's definitely a great color to coordinate/not clash with the wedding colors and it's great for my sister.

Again.. thank you all!