Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caligirl555

Please help me finalize my cabinet hardware mix

caligirl5
6 years ago

Hey folks, I'd like your opinions on my plan for cabinet hardware.

I really appreciate the feedback I got from a previous thread [here[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/kitchen-is-so-plain-please-help-me-with-hardware-dsvw-vd~4657520). I'm 95% sure I'm going to switch to 5 piece shaker, inset drawers from the partial overlay in the pics (~$400 + labor to go from mehh to ahhh is worth it to me). For hardware, I keep coming back to these same pulls, with cabinet latches for some cabinets. I'm having trouble deciding which of the uppers cabinets get pulls and which get latches. All things equal, I prefer pulls over knobs for functionality, but I'm wondering if incorporating knobs would help.

I'd do pulls on the drawers, sink doors (not installed yet), and cabinets flanking the range.

• What would you put above the range hood? I was thinking latch because it would be a lightly used cabinet, but I'm wondering if a latch would look out of place since it would be the only latch on this run.
  • Sink will have a trash pull out on the left. Would you do horizontal pulls (like most trash pull out) or vertical pulls (like most cabinet doors)

Here I was thinking mostly latches except for the corner cab and the pantry cab lower door:

• Would you do a pull on the pantry upper door too?
  • What about the appliance garage?

There's a laundry area to the left in the first photo, which will have stacked upper cabinets with latches. I know it sounds weird, I couldn't get a pic due to the light this time of day, and cabinets aren't completely installed anyways.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I think you'll quickly learn to hate the latches. They'll rarely be latched.

Dont go with 5 piece Shaker on shallow drawers - use a slab. I don't like the look on the tiny panel at all!

• smm5525
    6 years ago

Latch above hood and fridge

caligirl5 thanked smm5525
  • Laura
    6 years ago

I love how your kitchen is coming together! I think that the drawers look fine today, but I totally understand wanting the ahhh factor and I think that your plan to switch to inset drawers will look fabulous (although I may be biased since I have the same on order from Conestoga right now - 1918 bungalow here!) I think that the latches are a great look - for sure above the stove, fridge and microwave and on the appliance garage. I did live in a house with latches when I was in college, and yes, they can be kind of a pain for the cabinets that you open 10 times a day, but it wasn't really that much of an issue and I think that they really make the look.

caligirl5 thanked Laura
  • caligirl5
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The latches are a bit of form over function, but I'm not concerned with doing it on the lesser used cabinets.

The partial overlay just isn't growing on me. It's also a bit of a functional issue because the counter overhang was done before the drawers were in and isn't deep enough over the overlay drawer fronts. Top drawers will be slab, but still have to reorder to get the inset size.

• caligirl5
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ehh now I'm getting a little cold feet. Thinking about doing latches above fridge, microwave, and range to see how I feel about the function first, then deciding on the appliance garage and laundry cabinets later. I feel fine about twisting the knob to open and pushing to shut. I'm more concerned about the butt doors on the appliance garage and always having to first open the door with the knob in order to open the door with the catch.

• nursetammi
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I kept it simple in my kitchen but I sure remember all those decisions. I did knobs on all my cabinets (with exception of pantry door) and pulls on the drawers. Sorry the pics are so big but I think visuals help.

and pulls on my drawers.

• caligirl5
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hey folks! So here's the update:

I ordered latches from House of Antique Hardware and contractor installed over range and fridge. They look great! Function, ugh. Yes, I have to turn the knob to open them...but also they won't push closed so I have to turn the knob to close them!

I have some in my dining room from Rejuvenation that you can push closed, so I ordered some of those in ORB. They're very similar, but slightly different shape and darker finish than the HOAH (Rejuvenation is top and HOAH is bottom). The size seems just off enough that the holes won't line up to easily change out the latches already installed.

Now what to install where? Definitely want less latches than I thought, but I need to add some to go with the ones over range and fridge.

Laundry area: pulls on the lowers, then Rejuvenation latches on top (I don't think will be noticeable that they're different):

Fridge wall: Pulls on the appliance garage and lower pantry doors. OK to do pull on upper pantry door? I think the door above microwave needs a latch to go with the fridge--does it need to be the HOAH? Or do you think the Rejuvenation one is a close enough match (and would be easier to use)?

Range wall for reference, though the drawers are all going to be pulls

Thanks in advance!