Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mawizz

Help! Can't Decide on a countertop! Im going in circles!

MaWizz
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

So I'm leaning to a quartz marble look alike and can't decide small vein or large vein. First was going to do something plain, then a small vein type like London sky, but then maybe that's one is not white enough, ok so found another more white but looks too white so I starting looking at a lager vein with white background and then I thought maybe that's too trendy and a subtle look is better like the London sky but is it kind of a cream based and looks different from day to night. Ok what?! I'm losing my mind! I keep going round and round. I thought I would settle things by going to a local place that has most I've been looking at... but then found more I'd never considered! Honestly that made it worse :(

If it helps I'm doing a chocolate colored cabinet, I have white tile floors (not changing for awhile), I like a contemporary look without being overly cold feeling and prefer cool tones. Please help!

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Mulder Drafting
    6 years ago

Could you post some pictures?

MaWizz thanked Mulder Drafting
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

LG Viatera Rococo is one of the most realistic ones I have seen. It's fake so you won't ever have that same look as real.

MaWizz thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

LG Viatera Rococo

Image from Google

MaWizz thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • User
    6 years ago

Love the lg rococo ! I'll have it installed hopefully next week !!

MaWizz thanked User
  • eam44
    6 years ago

You need inspiration images! Google kitchens with the finishes you've already chosen, and see what counters they use. The extent of veining is going to have an effect on what backsplash material you end up using, so pay attention to that too.

MaWizz thanked eam44
  • DrB477
    6 years ago

I went with two new quartz patterns. LG Muse went in the kitchen and I also installed LG Aura in my walk-in closet (which is the upstairs of the kitchen addition), so have some pics of that too.

I like both a lot. I only saw a large sample and a single finished showroom type kitchen that LG has on their website, so it was a bit of a risk. Muse has some long veins and some shorter swirly type of veins but the veins aren't thick like a Calcutta marble look a like. The background is more white compared to Minuet or London Sky which are creamier. There is a similar pattern Karis which has more veining than Muse which could be worth checking out as well. I'm not sure if the background on that was more like Minuet or more like Muse.

From further away look pretty white

Long counter run

Island

Island detail

Another up close

This is Aura, definitely more going on making it look greyer. Has a little sparkle to it. I actually like it (slightly) better on its own, but thought it would be a bit much with everything else going on in the kitchen. In retrospect seeing a big piece installed, I think it would have worked fine.

Up close

The counters were in a week ago and the kitchen is a little further along now (backsplash about 3/4 done now and appliances go in tomorrow), these pictures aren't my best effort but maybe they will help.

MaWizz thanked DrB477
  • Jill Coopersmith
    6 years ago

Hi there Mawizz! Might I suggest you also look at some backsplashes before you settle on the countertop? As you know, I am in the same general phase as you - but I picked my countertop early and was left to search a backsplash that I loved that worked with the countertop. If you have your heart set on a specific type of backsplash, lead with that, and then choose a countertop that works with it.

I am using Cambria Bellingham (busier pattern than marble) and for backsplash, a white elongated subway tile with some undulation and light crackle/sparkle (its the bottom tile on the board). Here is the look...

MaWizz thanked Jill Coopersmith
  • MaWizz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for all your feedback! Glad I posted...you all got me to go back to where I started with this whole kitchen thing and remember what I liked from the start from my own pics and my inspirations pics!

Mulder drafting these are my colors:

Chocolate stained cherry shaker cabinets and white matte floor tile.

Ravencajun funny you suggested Rococo as that was one of the first samples I took home but when I had them pull out the slab it was a big no for me. Too busy for what I had in mind and the coloring was off... too greyish veining and background was not as white as I'd like as I have white floor tile. With all that said I just saw someone post pics of it and it looked really good. This stuff looks different when horizontal! :) Love that pic of the real marble!I have in my master bath no thanks for the etching and staining in the kitchen. I'm too fussy for that.

ataverna post pics after your install! I'm sure it will be beautiful. I think what a person is putting with it color wise and style makes a big difference. I wish I could remember who just posted it. If I can I'll post. It looked great.

Eam I think that's my problem I have too many inspiration pics! I literally have hundreds...that doesn't help. I guess I like a lot of things and I realized as I was going back through them that I like just some elements in each of them. I have never found a pic that had everything I was going for. The pic you posted would be something I would screenshot! I guess you know what I like :) Dark cabinets, light/white counter floors and backsplash contemporary but not too modern if that makes sense. I originally was all about white marble subway tile. I still have all my samples and still love it. I know your the tile guru here what are your thoughts on these? (Actually much whiter than shown)

The problem came when trying to find a counter top after liking the marble tile backsplash. These were some I liked but have all died down for various reasons.

DrB I love both those you chose! Both Beautiful and so subtle ... that's the direction I'm headed. Thanks for posting all those wonderful pics :) I will be getting samples of each! That walk in is to die for ... I think I would walk in and not walk back out ;) and your kitchen very nice. Please continue to post progress pics sounds like your moving right along. Pics very helpful!

Hi Jill great suggestion! I actually did just that and went and picked up a bunch including the one you have on the bottom. after making DH look at all of them I said I still like the marble subway I got in the first place he said ok. ha ha I think he's getting all done with hearing about it :) yes I thought I was leading with the marble tile but also wanted the faux marble and they fight each other. Loving that tile with yours...all your choices very nice. I think our cabinets are the same tone mine a bit darker I think.

• User
    6 years ago

If you love the marble tile, get it. You feel stronger about that then the counter. Then choose a solid white or light gray quartz countertop. You'll need some pattern with the plain floor and rows of dark cabinets and the marble provides it.

• MaWizz
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Exactly what I am finding eam and agree if I want the marble tile I would need to be very plain on the Quartz ....hmm decisions decisions! Another great kitchen picture. Thank you :) If I had more of a modern or mcm home I certainly would have done those full slab fronts:) we are in a contemporary Mediterranean so thought I'd be a little careful with the cabinets not to get too modern.

• Jill Coopersmith
    6 years ago

Hi Mawizz, For your countertop, take a look at Cambria Torquay. Its a marble-look quartz and it may go well with a real marble backsplash... OR you could run the quartz up the backsplash also. In this pic you can see a marble backsplash in the background of Torquay - I don't love this particular combination (too gray IMO) , but a different marble backsplash may work.

Ramshaw · More Info