Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bballpunk_11

Mixing two rugs in same space

Lindsey K
6 years ago

Our basement will be doubling as a play area for our toddlers on one side and a family tv area beside it, all in one large open concept room. We are painting it BM Simply White as it is quite a dark space with limited natural night. My question is about using area rugs to define the two spaces. I'll be putting this pink-ish one in the play area. I am looking for one to complement it but separate our tv area. I have read that oriental rugs can be mixed so I am seeking another vintage style oriental rug to complement it, that will brighten the space. Keeping in mind our toddlers will also be using this space too so something that hides stains is a bonus! I've included some pics of some rugs I was considering but am open to other suggestions! Thanks!

play area rug:

TV area rug possibilities:

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

the 3 blue ones work with one another, but not the pink. Be more concerned w/same colors/tones rather than the design. The blues are also on the cool side, whereas the pink on the warm side. you could do a green in the play side, or reds or magentas on the adult side (if keeping pink). see what I mean?

For instance, if you kept the pink one on the kid side, and then had this one on your side, that would work.

Traditional Medallion Verona Rug, Pink, 8'x10' · More Info

or this one

Traditional Vintage Antique Brick Medallion Rug, Blush, 7'10"x10'10" · More Info

or, pick out a contrasting color for the adult side, maybe in the gray or black family.the ones above are a good pattern, but a bit too blue. something more gray, w/maybe a hint of pink accent

Vintage Odell Area Rug, Rectangle, Silver, 9'x12' · More Info

consider a very soft blush color for walls with charcoal and gray accents.

• Lindsey K
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for your thoughtful response! I see what you are saying about the warm & cool colors now. I thought I could pull it off because those cool oriental rugs shared many of the same colors (ivory, blue & flecks of yellow - but obviously missing the pink) as the pink oriental one.

I like the silver rug you posted. I actually have the ivory version upstairs in my living room. Maybe I'll try that.

One more question. What about if I got the same rug with different colors like so

That way they are the same style & design only this one will use the blue that I like so much. Too matchy? I am using the pink rug only because I thought it would be fun for the play area, as normally I am drawn to blues & creams and other cool shades. So I'm trying to keep any pink out of the tv side.

What do you think?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

I like the rugs, but still don't think the colors are cohesive. If you have to have those rugs and exact colors, could you perhaps implement a room divider between the two spaces? just something to break up the sight line so they look like two separate spaces.

or, does the other rug have to have a majority of pink? what if you found a multi-color for the playroom that had more of the blue tones you like?