Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1954117

Kitchen floor/cabinet colors - help please?

User
10 years ago
West-facing kitchen with large opening at the end (glass doors) and one window on southern wall (not shown in pictures)
Debating between two porcelain floor tiles - white or very light gray, both have a slight shimmer effect (porcelanosa ferroker platino or niquel).
Planning on installing a painted shaker kitchen - color depends on floor
All color recommendations welcome!!! Thanks!

Comments (16)

• elcieg
    10 years ago
    More sun from the West, than the South...you will have glare from the late day sun, but you don't want your kitchen to fade away at suppertime. A cool paint, would be my guess. Look at BM Patriotic white 2135-70.
  • PRO
    Interior Analysis by Allan Skriloff
    10 years ago
    I would recommend a gray the darker you are comfortable with the better. Also please do not buy a tile that is trying to be something else. like stone or grant clean and simple and larger tiles . Also I would recommend the thinnest grout lines. What about a darker gray tile and a beige cabinetry. Classic and will never go out of stile
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Grey on the floor and white cabinets. You could add a grey glaze to them also.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thanks everyone, gray seems to be the favorite! what do you think of a very light taupe as an alternative to white or beige cabinetry? @interioranalysis thanks for your advice, good point about the grout lines! just curious, what's wrong w stone effect tiles?
  • PRO
    Paula Caponetti Designs LLC
    10 years ago
    I don't advise taupe cabinets with a gray floor.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Paula - which colors would you recommend?
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Update:

thank you to everyone for your input. We decided to go with the ferroker aluminio tile from porcelanosa.
  • Luciana
    10 years ago
    That is the tile we have in our kitchen! and the layout is not very different than yours (we also have underfloor heating). Wow - such a coincidence!
    Porcelanosa sold us the grout that goes with those tiles, we chose the darker grey and didn't regret it one second - we love our kitchen!
    User thanked Luciana
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    wow! thanks so much for sharing! love the monochrome look with splashes of red. amazing how the tile color looks so different in the light/shaded area/artificial light - all beautiful. Our cabinets zone will have a bit less light i think - theyre towards the back of the room where there's only one window. the well lit area will be the dining area which will be near the sliding door...
    we're going with a contemporary shaker style cabinet - still deliberating re colors....would really like a gray - any suggestions? (we can choose any paint color)
  • Luciana
    10 years ago
    Thank you! As I said, we love the tiles - they do look great in any light. The really huge bonus is that they mask stains and splatters so well - you can barely tell if the floor was cleaned today or last week.
    About your cabinet colour - I think that is a personal decision based on likes/ dislikes, preferences, etc. I think the tile is versatile and can be matched with a large range of colours. I would be careful with grey - personally I'd go for a darker shade, something quite defined. Btw, our plinth is (stainless steel) grey and the kitchen seller recommended it so it would be close to the tile colour and make the cabinets appear as floating.
    Personally, I go for black (or dark grey) and (off) white combination with a third complementary colour that I can always change (see my bathroom below; it's orange now but I'm thinking to change it to purple - sorry, I'm showing off now).
    bath · More Info

Have you decided on a kitchen supplier? Usually they are good at presenting you with different colour combination and showing you on the computer how they would look in real life.
    Have a look at these ideabooks: https://www.houzz.com/magazine/obsessed-with-gray-in-the-kitchen-stsetivw-vs~600233 https://www.houzz.com/magazine/cooking-with-color-when-to-use-gray-in-the-kitchen-stsetivw-vs~6288537

Best of luck! and please post some photos when you are done.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    Hi ! I think that white shaker with pewter handles would work well with grey walls ! The grey will really make the kitchen stand out beautifully !
  • Julie K
    2 years ago

@User, @Luciana, I know this is a super old thread but we're considering Porcelonosa Ferroker Aluminio for our kitchen floor and we also have hydronic radiant under our floor! Do you still love your floors? Do you have any regrets and/or did you experience any installation issues with this tile? Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

• felizlady
    2 years ago

I don’t like gray and taupe together. One or the other, with white cabinetry. No white floor or you will be cleaning every day.