Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bsarte65

Controlling Weeds in Vegetable Garden

bsarte65
6 years ago

My wife and I have a vegetable garden here in New Jersey (24'x24' fenced area, get good sun about 4-6 hours a days), typical tomato's (Big Boy & Beefstake), some hot peppers, zuchini, cucumbers, and eggplant. Over the years we struggle with weed control, usually just hand picking the weeds but I was wondering what if there is anything I can use to control the weeds? I use a product on my lawn (Brand Name Spectracide Weed Stop for Lawns) and wondering if I could use something like this in my garden, would it be harmful to the garden vegetable planes? The listed Active ingredients are:

• 2,4-D dimethylmine salt - 7.59%
  • Mecoprop-d acid - 1.83%
  • Dicamba, dimethylmine salt - .84%
  • Other ingredients - 89.74%

Just getting tired of picking the weeds and would like to control them in a better way. Any ideas or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated!

Bruce

Comments (9)

• ilurk
    6 years ago

In the past I have put down landscape fabric. Cut holes and planted in them. Water flows through fabric so watering was easy. Two issues I've encountered with landscape fabric.

1. They break down in a year so they need to be replaced every year.

2. Seedlings tend to get buried in the fabric on windy days. Using rocks to keep it from flapping around helps. Therefore it's great with tomatoes and peppers but not so great with leafy veg.

The fabric suppresses the weeds quite a bit. Some sunlight penetrates but the weeds are small and don't seem to seed.

• jerseygirl07603 z6NJ
    6 years ago

I use mulch and the few weeds that manage to pop up are easily pulled. I would not want to eat a vegetable from a garden that was treated with weed control chemical.

• GroundskeeperSmalley
    6 years ago

Are you asking if the weed control product can be sprayed over the whole area to selectively control weeds in your vegetable garden the same way it does in your lawn?

• bsarte65
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I would spray the Weed Control not directly on the vegetable plants but on the weeds themselves.

Let me paint the picture a little clearer. We have a 24'x24' fenced area to keep the deer and rabbits out, ending up with 6 rows ~21' long to plant our vegetables. 3 of those rows have some support fencing for the plants, in between the planted rows we have paths to walk, which are about 1.5'-2' (center of the planted rows are 3' between rows).

OK, so down the walk paths between the rows we have weeds plentiful! Struggled with them for the last few years, tried different methods to stop them. I use this Weed Stop on my grass. works very well, kills the weeds but not the grass (tri-fescue). I was looking to spray the walk paths where the weed are, have several nice sprayers but as we all know, even as much as I try not to, some light spray might get on the plants, so last thing I want to do is kill my vegetables!

Sorry for the diatribe, but that's the situation. Spray the walk paths, kill those weeds (hopefully), and pick the rest of the weeds between the plants in the rows.

What is your thought(s)?

Bruce

• lisanti07028
    6 years ago

Put cardboard (old boxes) or newspapers on the paths and cover with wood chips 3 or 4 inches deep. Cover the dirt around the plants with thick mulch too. For your own sake, please do not spray any herbicide anywhere near food plants.

Next year, make sure the mulch is still deep around the plants and on the paths - replace if necessary.

• GroundskeeperSmalley
    6 years ago

I have weedy paths in between my vegetable beds and don't have many problems, but I could see how depending on what is growing there could be more of a concern for control. Still I wouldn't think the threat posed by the weeds would justify possibly having an errant gust of wind blow some 2-4d on my hot peppers that I have been babying along for months now, possibly ruining this years hot sauce season. I have been considering using wood chips, I may next season, but the weeds don't bother me. In your case I would say live with the weeds or do like lisanti said and make paths.

• woodnative
    6 years ago

A regular Hoe works wonders.......esp. on the more upright plants. A very quick run back and forth of the hoe between the plants gets all the weeds and can be done in little time. The fluffed up dry surfacesoil makes a natural mulch and weed suppressant. Yes it needs to be repeated a couple times during the season but takes very little time at all to do.

• ladychroe
    6 years ago

I just dump the lawn clippings on there and spread them out. Looks all right, keeps the weeds down and nourishes the soil. It does track around a little bit and once I saw a mouse tunneling around, but mostly it's great!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES