Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mendys

Make my closet an inviting space

mendys
6 years ago

I recently lost alot of weight (this is a good thing), and just finished a major purge of my closet. Now it looks sad and desolate. I'd like to make this an inviting space that I enjoy using in the morning.

Budget: < $1000. I do not want to do built-ins, and would like to use pieces I have if possible. DYI except any electrical.

WHAT I HAVE NOW:

The closet is 9-1/2 ft deep and 11 ft wide (not including the nook where the white pine armoire is) and is accessed from the master bath. There are currently no electrical outlets in the closet. My bedroom and bathroom are painted a Green Tea Green and has an asian style to it.

The armoire holds all my bed linens and blankets. The items on the shelves above the armoire are old family photos and important documents (this is the safest space to store them in hurricane country). The thing next to the armoir is a standing clothes steamer.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE:

1. A new light fixture (currently is industrial florescent tubes)
  2. New seating for dressing that can stand up to two black cats with claws (no leather)
  3. More effiecient shoe storage (add rails to store more?)
  4. Decorative archival storage for the family photos that can be "grab-and-go" in case of a hurrican evacuation.
  5. A space to do my hair and makup in the morning (I have an antique mirrored vanity that should fit in there - pic below).
  6. A free standing full-length mirror.
  7. An ironing station, preferrably a fold-out mounting type.

Cardboard box is clothes that is going to be donated. I use the small square ottoman (covered in blue fabric) often to put on pants, stockings/socks, etc.

This is the built-in shoe storage. Lots of space, but doesn't hold that many shoes. On the back of the door I have a full-length over-the-door hanging mirror, but it prevents the doors from being closed properly.

Access to closet is through the bathroom. The doors are centered in the space, and are of the split type.

Comments (8)

• Carol Singletary
    6 years ago
    Couple of thoughts:
    Stop by Lowes or Home Depot and check their closet sections. We bought a Rubbermaid set from Lowes that were super easy to install, and their shoe racks might be what you want.

I suspect you might be overly optimistic about everything you want in this space. Do you really think you can have both the antique vanity AND an ironing station? Might be doable if you get a wall mounted, fold away iron with a mirror on the front (like the picture).
  • mendys
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion on the ironing station! I'll definitely check them out.

I think I can do both the vanity and ironing station. The vanity is only about 4' wide. Easy enough to move in there and see if it works or not. I have more closet space than clothes. Its more like a small bedroom without windows.

• fuzinav
    6 years ago
    Will the vanity fit on the wall the doors are on? Looks like you could stack two shoe boxes per shelf....could leave your shoes in boxes or purchase those plastic shoe drawers and make the unit more useful. Why not remove the hanging rod over the armoire? Then stack pretty boxes on it to give it more height. One idea is to create boxes to hold your laundry baskets, maybe repurpose cardboard boxes of a scale that the baskets easily slip in and out and cover the boxes ( all same size, all the same) with paper, fabric or contact paper. That would improve the straight in view.
    mendys thanked fuzinav
  • mendys
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone! I think this weekend I'll try moving furniture pieces around per y'all's suggestions and see if everything fits right while I think about paint color. Painting will be a project I do over the Christmas holidays when I have a large block of time off to do it right.

lindsey I LOVE the idea of putting the vanity so you see it straight on. My uber important documents are in a fire safe lock box (you can see it in one of the pictures). The downside is that there isn't alot of room in them (the one's I've seen), and they are heavy and expensive.

fuzinav - If I put cardboard in there, my cats would tear it up in nanoseconds! It's their favorite toy (cardboard boxes) that I'm constantly vacuuming up shreds of every day LOL. I do have some clear plastic shoe boxes that I'm using for other storage, but can use them as you suggested.

• Anna S
    6 years ago
    As someone who lives in an apartment in an expensive city, I think you can accomplish everything you want in that space - but you need to rethink it and strategize. You have way more hanging space than you need. Why not consolidate things onto one, at most two, walls and free up the others for your new priorities? Make better use of the height and the floor. Look at hanging canvas organizers that would hold several of your handbags.
    Start with the piece you want to use as your vanity, which is fabulous, and build the room around it. Put it front and center, on the wall you see when you look in from the bathroom, and consolidate other things on the side walls. I'm sure there's a corner on the opposite wall you can turn into an ironing station.
    When you talk about lighting, what do you want the light to accomplish? Setting a mood? Seeing how you look when you get dressed? Ironing? Proceed from there.
    If you're looking for cat resistant furniture, perhaps there some nice outdoor furniture you could buy. You know your cats, but there's some nice seating around and it might be more durable than regular furniture. I use a modern white plastic stool designed for outdoor use in my shower, in lieu of a fixed bench. It's great.
    mendys thanked Anna S
  • Anna S
    6 years ago
    Oh. Get rid of the shoe shelves. There are much more efficient shoe storage options at reasonable prices. See what The Container Store has in addition to he other big box stores. poke around on Amazon.
  • mendys
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for all the advice everyone! 8,500 steps later, I made some progress. Still waiting on my hanging shoe storage bins to arrive. Once it arrives, the shoes will go there and the shelves will house my grandmother's sulptures. Will re-paint over the holidays when I get 2 weeks off.

I've decided to not put a wall mounted ironing station in there at this time. It is cost prohibitive to have an electrician run electrical outlets right now. Maybe down the road, but not this year.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH