Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmp01

Please recommend a camellia.

mmp01
6 years ago

I'm in Maryland, zone 7. I'm looking for a camellia to place between an emerald greed arborvitae and a small hedge of Carissa holly. Ideally, I'd like it to get about 4-6' tall, can withstand some sun, and have a more formal look. The area is south facing. Bloom time doesn't matter, but I do worry about winter freezing of buds.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (5)

• vvasabi
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

It sounds like a camellia sasanqua is what you are looking for. Many sasanqua varieties don’t get very big, are more sun tolerant than c. japonica and have small and dense foliage that matches well with holly’s. Sasanquas bloom in fall until the weather gets too cold for them to continue, so bud freezing is not an issue.

However, for your zone, planting any camellia on the south side is usually not recommended. When the ground is frozen, camellia roots cannot replenish fast enough the water evaporated through leaves. Plants exposed to direct sun can desiccate.

This is not to say that you cannot try, but some protection, at least for the first few winters, will be required. Wrapping the plant with some kind of fabric, such as a sheet of burlap, so sun does not hit the plant directly, and moisture gets trapped inside the tent, should suffice. Some people use anti-desiccant sprays, such as Wilt-Pruf, but I do not have enough experience with it to comment on its usefulness.

Alternatively, you can also try camellia varieties specifically bred for cold hardiness. (Though, even for cold hardy camellias, protection for the first winter or two until the plant establishes is still recommended.) Camellia Forest is a great source for both plants and information. Check their website and look under the cold hardy section. Many cold hardiness cultivars are inter-specific hybrids, and they can vary in size at maturity. Just Google the name of the cultivar to make sure it grows to the size you need.

Hope this helps.

mmp01 thanked vvasabi
  • mmp01
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you! That website is very helpful. It doesn't sound like camellias are for that spot. I have plenty of other areas I can put a few. I love them, but want them to be happy.

Thank you again.

• luis_pr
    6 years ago

I agree. Sasanquas barely make it here with our strong sun and you have to use shade cloth if using japonicas (I do that). I would explore the Norfolk Botanical Gardens or participate on meeting of the Virginia Camellia Society.

http://www.genserva.com/vcs/

mmp01 thanked luis_pr
  • luis_pr
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Just a thought that occurred to me now... a hydrangea paniculata perhaps? Little Quickfire, Little Lime or Bobo?

mmp01 thanked luis_pr
  • mmp01
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lol. You're talking to the hydrangea girl! I was thinking little limes, as well. This is the only area in my yard that doesn't have a hydrangea.....

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus
More Discussions