Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzanne_tallon

how to make my living room more cosy?

Suzanne Tallon
6 years ago
I have an awkward shaped front room. it's constrained by location of windows and fireplace. at the moment it's just a sofa Infront of a tv! I want it to feel more cosy and look a bit prettier! please excuse the baby toys! any suggestions for decor?

Comments (7)

• acm
    6 years ago

Slide the rug out from under the TV until it gets just under the front feet of your couch. Add a coffee table, probably wood (storage a plus). Put an armchair about where the baby is (move baby first!) so that you can use the room for conversation as well as TV. Move baby play table against empty wall (maybe with scaled play chairs! or a low bookcase and/or toy bins) and get a real end table with a reading lamp on it. Get some art over the table that's 60-75% the length of the couch (one large or two smaller) -- even a cheerful framed poster.

• auntthelma
    6 years ago

Can the TV go on the shelf to the left of the fireplace? If so, you can then put the sofa facing the fireplace and a chair in the corner to the right of the fireplace.

You need ART! Art on the walls of things you love.

Separate suggestion - if you keep the sofa and TV where they are, move the rug to the bare corner where the baby is sitting and make the rug mark the toy area. All toys on the rug, so the TV area is toy-free.

Cute room.

• Mariel Warren
    6 years ago

GREAT photos. I have several ideas. Put the sofa facing the fireplace, pushed in enough to keep the walking path open from the french doors ... also move the area rug centered in front of the fireplace. Hang the TV, preferably a larger one, over the fireplace. On the blank wall to the left of the french door .... put a comfy chair and floor lamp in the corner. Centered on the blank wall put a large and deep shelving unit/armoire. the lower shelf/shelves can hold large, DEEP/TALL bins to hold the kid(s) toys. Upper shelves .... books, nick Knacks, family keepsakes, framed photos, gifts from others, souvenirs from trips ... etc.

I agree .... floor length drapes would be better.

On the wall where your sofa is currently placed .... hang a large mirror on that wall. It will reflect light from the windows and brighten the room. And maybe a couple of large framed pictures on either side of the mirror or other wall decor ... metal wall art ... light sconces .... what your taste dictates.

• Kim
    6 years ago

What about an arrangement something like this, but with a more comfortable storage bench under the windows? I like Mariel's idea of hanging a mirror or something reflective above the sofa or fireplace to help make the room feel more open and putting a storage armoire/chest at the other end of the room. I would consider a cozy rug in that area for baby as auntthelma suggested. And yes, center the rug in front of the sofa which should be centered on the wall. You could get a smaller end table if you need more room to center it or you could just put a floor lamp there instead and use a kid-friendly coffee table. One last thing, nothing says cozy like a nice fluffy blanket.

• PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    6 years ago

Can you turn your sofa to face the fireplace, and hang the tv over it? If not, then consider adding a few things: coffee table, bigger area rug, a table on each side of the sofa with a lamp? It looks like the sofa is large and the room is small. Is this true or is the photo deceptive? It's hard for me to say.

One last thing, please look into getting full length curtains, this will help a lot.

PS your baby is adorable. Cozy rooms are great, but at this point it's important to have a lot of open space for the baby to play. Do you have another area for the baby to play or is this the primary area? When my kids were young we couldn't focus on decorating because of all the toys everywhere. This phase ends sooner than any parent is ready for. Good luck and have fun with the baby and decorating!

• PRO
    Jane Antonacci Interior Design
    6 years ago

First of all, the rug should be under the feet of the sofa, not the TV console. Is it possible to float the couch in the center of the room facing the fireplace and mount the TV over the fireplace? If not is it possible to put the TV on the back wall (opposite the fireplace)? Also it would be nice to see bigger artwork on those walls.

A Hillside Estate · More Info

A Hillside Estate · More Info

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH