Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

What happens when you get 4 inches of rain in 2 hours........

Julia WV (6b)
6 years ago

We got hit with thunderstorms and heavy rains for 2 hours. Our roadside ditches are deep but the amount of rain is flooding and going over our driveway. We just had the lower part of our driveway redone last year at our cost and I'm sure most of the gravel has washed out. The culvert pipe that runs under the driveway can't handle the amount of water coming further up the road and I'm told my neighbor down from us is flooded as well. So glad we built our house 300 ft from the road. The house in the pic is not ours but my sister who lives across the road from us.

Comments (14)

• daylilybedmaker
    6 years ago

Julia,

Wow that is a lot of water. I hope that your driveway is okay. We did not get that much rain. We had a steady light rain from 10:00 until 3:00pm. For those of you who don't know, Julia is about 45 minutes north of me.

David

• Brad KY 6b
    6 years ago

Yipe! Sorry that happened.

• lilykate7a
    6 years ago

Funny about the money-not so funny about the rain in that kind of deluge. But what can we do? Hope you don't have much damage in your area and on your drive.

Kate

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    6 years ago

Yep, Mother Nature has her own agenda, just glad things weren't worse for you. In the early 90's we had 17 inches of rain in 24 hours. I was glad we didn't have a basement. Rain water flooded all of the streets, my house was on an "island". Thankfully the water receded quickly but nobody went to work that day.

Sherry

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    6 years ago

Oh no! I'm sorry you're dealing with that.

• shive
    6 years ago

It's awful for you right now, but there is a silver lining. I bet you'll get a ton of rebloom from all that rain.

Debra

• mantis__oh
    6 years ago

You could have used that last year!

• dick_in_ohio
    6 years ago

My rain gauge had about 5.5 inches in it at 4:00. The garden was flooded. Our house is on high ground so it is okay. Poplar Creek, which winds leisurely through our place normally, was a roaring torrent.

• celeste/NH
    6 years ago

Time to get out the rowboats! Wow, that is a lot of water. It rained here but just steady for hours so no flooding where I'm at. It's hard to believe the difference from last year when we were so desperate for rain. I won't complain though. I haven't had to water my gardens at all so far this summer. Looks like you're all set for watering plants for a good long while.

• organic_kitten
    6 years ago

Ah yes. We had that a bit earlier...killed off my lilacs...they couldn't stand that much water, and it was standing everywhere in the yard. But the daylilies loved it. and I am still having re-bloom scapes pop up.

kay

• Nancy 6b
    6 years ago

Better yet, wish me some money. I hope you don't have damage from it though, I'm sorry you are having to deal with it. We had something like that earlier too, I'm on a slight hill so not much standing water.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We walked down to the roadway after dinner last night to see what damage we had. Driveway is still intact but most of the gravel has been washed out on to the grass area and ditch. We have an area in the driveway which needs to be refilled as the rush of water created a crevice. Lots of grass and debris from when they just mowed our roadway ditches is now piled up on the field and grass area where our electrical meter box is. I am thankful we are far enough back from the roadway and up a slight incline to not have it affect our home and the gardens. In 20 years that we have lived here, this has never happened. Plenty of storms like this but not with this kind of result. And yes, the plants love it.

• tarheelgirl_7b
    6 years ago

Glad everyone is okay! Hopefully things are getting back to normal and you have not had any additional rain.

Lori