Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jw1951

Grout color on newly installed porcelain wood planks flooring

Jan
6 years ago
I just had porcelain wood plank flooring installed for my kitchen remodel and it was grouted today. The grout dried lighter than I wanted. The flooring is a Maple color and the grout was Summer Tan. Is there a way to change the color, if so do I have to wait a specific amount of time and is this a difficult process?

Comments (49)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Very difficult to change at this point. I always recommend using the darkest color of your tile for flooring like this because dark grout recedes visually. But that doesn't help you now. I think once you get furniture and rugs down this will diminish the impact of the grout. Try to put some rugs down to help you see this is ok. It looks like a nice install so that is a good thing.
  • Jan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Unfortunately this is in the kitchen, so....no rugs.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Bummer. There are dyes you might be able to use for staining the grout, but I would be concerned about staining the flooring as well. No good solution here I'm afraid. Beth H is the flooring/tiling expert. I'll reach out to her and see if she has some ideas for you.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Thanks Beth for your timely jump in! You are the best! Jan-sometimes you just have to give it a chance. I think Beth has good advice here for you. What color are your kitchen cabinets? How about lighting? There are ways to pull the attention away from the flooring and you will be fine. Also, if you mess with this flooring it could get worse! Sometimes the fix is worse than the disease, if you know what I mean. I think it will be OK. Just jarring when something doesn't come out as you envisioned it. It is very hard to lay these long planks well and the installation looks really good, so be happy about that.

• Cori
    6 years ago
    I'm having a similar problem except my issue is that certain parts of the grout are perfect but other parts are almost very light/ almost white. From what I've read they probably used too much water in those spots. Installer said after a couple of mopping sessions it should darken but if not he'll have to scrape it out and redo those parts
  • suzyq53
    6 years ago

Do you know what type of grout was used?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Cori, did you use an acrylic type of grout? but yes, too much water will lighten it. it will not get better. (did he really say after mopping sessions it will darken?? why, because of dirt build-up?? what an idiot)

those parts will have to be scraped out and new grout reapplied.

• Cori
    6 years ago
    I believe the brand was Tec and it was unsanded grout.
  • Cori
    6 years ago
    Here's an example of where it looks almost white.
  • Cori
    6 years ago
    Beth H. Yes he did. So upsetting!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

See Jan, you could have it worse! Tile installation problems as related here on Houzz are becoming legend! Hope you can live with the good work you have Jan.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Cori- wow. now the issue when redoing is that the grout color will be affected by water amount, temperature, humidity, etc. that's why when grouting you never stop halfway through and come back to finish the following day. it won't match up perfectly.

so, for yours, get a sharp tool and scrape out 2/3rds. mix up your grout and reapply.

I can't believe the tile guy walked away from that, knowing damn well that white color will not darken. you paid him in full didn't you?

just to confirm, the TEC grout is cement based? not an acrylic or epoxy?? do you have a pic of the box?

• suetheartist
    6 years ago

I stained my grout dark so it would actually look like the space between wood boards. (The tile folks had recommended a light grout) It has been 4 years and the stain has not faded a bit.

• PRO
    ReMax - Lisa
    6 years ago
    It looks perfect to me anyway, I wouldn't mess with it, as it may not work. It will get dirty soon enough and will darken somewhat.
  • Cori
    6 years ago
    Beth H- I'm embarrassed to say that we did pay him in full. He was recommended by my husband's uncle who runs a tile business in another part of town. So we trusted him because of that connection. This experience has made me very distrusting and now I know to make sure things are perfect before paying in full even if they come highly recommended or are closely tied to the family. Unfortunately I don't have any of the grout remaining so I'm not sure if it's acrylic or cement based. Thank you for confirming what I believed...that the only way to fix it is to remove it. Do you think it's something we'd be able to do ourselves? That is to remove it and re-grout it.
    Jan- yours looks amazing compared to my nightmare but I know what you mean about wanting it to be as close to the tile color as possible. That was out goal as well:(
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Cori,,,he didn't even leave you any extra grout?? Since he is a recommendation, I would call him (or have your uncle call him) and tell him this isn't going to fix itself. you want that grout fixed. pronto.

it can easily be scraped out and new grout reapplied. yes you could do this yourself. Hopefully it's just a small area?

Ask him if he still has the box of grout used for your tile. The issue is that all grout comes in different dye lots. (there is a number on the bag). Now you could go buy a new TEC box of grout (which btw, you shouldn't have to pay for, the tile guy should do ALL of this!) but that new box may be a different dye lot and may not match exactly. But, even if it's a little off, it will still be better than the white! (you still need to have the exact type of grout he used, so you're going to have to talk to him)

I'm going to recommend you post this question over at JohnBridge tile forum. just do a quick register to post questions. the guys over there are amazing, but you HAVE to know the exact type of grout used. so call the guy and have him text you a pic of the box or get the exact name and type. TEC unsanded isn't enough info.

here is the link:

http://www.johnbridge.com

register and post under Tile Forum/Advice. you might also try searching "white grout" or "haze on dried grout" to see if others have had a similar issue.

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    6 years ago

You have 2 options.
    Either you scrape out what is installed now and regrout or use a grout colorant atop of the what's there now. Only down fall with the grout colorant is that it has a sheen, similar to an oil based paint.

• che11e
    6 years ago

I had tile installed & the grout was too light-almost white. the installer applied a product on top ofit & got the color I wanted. I would call & tell him once it ALL dried, it was too light . From the fistpic, I thought the same as some of the others, it looks perfect, BUT just
    because I like it doesn't mean you have to. Then I saw the pic further down & I think something went a little wrong in some spots. If he is a decent guy he should fix it for you & I would push that. As I get older, it is becoming much easier to just say, hey I don’t like the way this turned out, can you fix it, even if I paid already. If he refuses-find someone else- I don’t think it would be too expensive & it will make you happy. You can also try on your own as last resort. No matter who tackles it, test a small inconspicuous area first. Overall though, it’s beautiful, you have good taste.

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

The picture further down is from Cori who hi-jacked the post I think.

Jan - I agree with others who are telling you it looks great and will darken slightly over time.

• che11e
    6 years ago

I see that now suzy....I must be tired.

• PRO
    Nail It Property Services Inc.
    6 years ago

As a tile installer, it does look good. Quite common to have lighter grout lines.

If you want a dark line you will have to grind it out. not hard to do. You can purchase a hand grout grinder, and with new grout it would be easy.

I have ground out 10 year old grout in large kitchen in a half a day.

• Jan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Flo, my kitchen cabinets are Polar White. Guess I'll give it time. I do like the way he installed it. I think it's starting to grow on me. Now to pick out the countertop.
    Beth, thank you for your help. As usual, much appreciated. The last time I posted, I was feeling overwhelmed by this whole process and you said to step away from it for a few days. That did help!
    Also thanks to everyone that has posted a response to my plea for help.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Glad you are feeling better. White cabinets will allow you wide latitude to add color if you wish.
  • Jan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes. I look at the flooring frequently and am starting to like it.
    Now I'm going to look at countertop material. I originally wanted creams and grey or something like that. Don't think that would look so good with the color of the flooring. My walls are painted a crisp linen. Really didn't want tans or beiges either. Oh well......will have to see.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Have you considered Jet Mist honed granite for countertops. It is really beautiful and would work really well with the flooring and the cabinets. Each slab has different "movement" and degrees of veining, so you have to hunt down the ones you like best. It is also called Virginia Mist. I will post a couple photos for you.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Woodmeister - Kitchen 21 · More Info
    White peripheral cabinets, medium brown floor and the countertop (soapstone look a like!)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Charmed Country Kitchen · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Kitchen Remodel in American University Park · More Info
    Gives some idea of how the Jet Mist countertops would work with your flooring color and your white cabinets. Great look I think.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Flo, you beat me to it! was going to suggest a soapstone but forgot about the Jet Mist. either the honed or leather finish would be perfect.

Leathered

Honed

the other option is Taj Majal quartzite. Gorge!

will look great w/the flooring too

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Taj would be good too Beth and can't you see gold bar type hardware! So, two great options to consider here.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

yes! the gold would look so good w/the flooring.

• Jan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Flo, The Jet Mist is very nice but unfortunately my kitchen is only about 12x12 so I'm a bit leary about putting a very dark countertop in. I do like it with the flooring.
  • Jan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Beth, the Taj Mahal is very pretty.
    As I sit and think about it, I thought I would like a counter with greys and whites that would look so nice with my cabinets but.......it probably won't look so good with my flooring.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

the taj can have some grays in it. Although, I'd forget actual gray. use that color in your bedroom or something.

if you don't like a solid black, what about something like this one?

what you want is something on the warm side. so you could do some gray tones, if they aren't a cool gray. Why don't you look at some of the quartzite pieces, or even try some of the pre-fab countertops since you have a small space. it's cheaper.

Recycled glass countertop? you up for that one? look how nice this is next to your flooring

• Jan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Beth, thanks.
    I'm going Friday to take a look and really hope to find something nice.
    I'll be taking the sample cabinet door and a piece of the flooring. Hoping that will help.
  • Jan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Well, I think I've found the countertop and the color surprised me ( everything about this kitchen remodel has surprised me). It's called Cosmo in leather finish. That's a sample door of my cabinets and a sample of my flooring in that one picture.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

i love Cosmo. and leathered is great. make sure your slab has a fair amount of the golds/tans in it for your floor.

• Jan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Beth, did I make a huge mistake in getting the Cosmos granite for my kitchen countertop? Have just read some nightmare older posts about this particular granite. I'm beside myself right now.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Jan, Cosmos can be very prominent and in your face. your's doesn't look like that. that's the picture of it, above, right? There is such a large variation on the slabs, that you have to be careful what you pick, if you want 'sedate'.

so some look like this (which are prob the ones you're reading about)

or it can look like this:

these kitchen look great w/the cosmos/cosmic

these are all leathere

look how gorgeous this looks!: I wouldn't be worried.

• Jan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I forgot to mention that one post said it shouldn't be used in the kitchen. Should only be used as a decorative top.
  • Mstein009
    6 years ago
    Thinking you may have moved on but just in case I thought I would share that I used a grout colorant sealer that seems to be holding up great. Comes in lots of colors.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Building-Products-Polyblend-180-Sandstone-8-oz-Grout-Renew-Colorant-GCL180HPT/100005476
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

"one post said it shouldn't be used in the kitchen".......um, why? Who's rule was that? This particular granite shouldn't be used or leathered granite shouldn't be used? Either one is bs so, go with what you want.

• Jan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Beth, measurements are going to be done tomorrow for my countertop. A bit conflicted. Cosmos or Aquarello quartzite. So different. Just a bit concerned with etching on quartzite and the softness in the Cosmos.
  • Jan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Beth, measurements are going to be done tomorrow for my countertop. A bit conflicted. Cosmos or Aquarello quartzite. So different. Just a bit concerned with etching on quartzite and the softness in the Cosmos.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

cosmos shouldn't be soft. it's a granite. as for the quartzite, some etch, some don't. anyway to take a sample of that one and try out the lemon test? I like cosmos the best w/your floor and cabinets. the other one is nice, but maybe too mauve?

• Jennifer L
    6 years ago

The grout on this porcelain tile is much too light. I would love to have it darkened. Any thoughts?

• PRO
  • Jennifer L
    6 years ago

Thanks Beth. I read through this while thread and don't think acrylic was used because this grout definitely stains...from dirt. We just bought this house, for many reasons. Would you say that is a good indication that it in fact can be color sealed?