Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveres22

Please help with proposed glass block shower in master bath

We have now demo'-ed our master bath. We do not want to move basic fixtures because the house is on a slab. I'm attaching the plan that we've come up with so far. We are thinking of a walk-in, doorless, curbless shower using glass block for the curved wall. We have taken out the surround for the jacuzzi and are planning to move it against the wall, just tiling straight down on the two exposed sides. Tentatively we are planning a skylight for the space between the tub and the shower entrance. The short wall between the two perpendicular walls in the shower would house the shower head; we would like a niche in the corner of the wall that separates the shower and toilet, and perhaps a fold-down bench in that corner as well. Please, Houzzers, give me feedback on shower size, entrance size, and if this shower would be workable. I have some ideas about decor, a.nd will need some advice on that later, but I think we need to nail down the space/plan first.

Comments (39)

• chiflipper
    6 years ago

A huge "NO" to the glass block, very dated. Horrible to clean and has a green cast that really screws up any paint scheme. Glass panels are available in a huge range of finishes, clear to "carved".

• simstress
    6 years ago
    I don't understand where the showerhead will go. Just be sure spray is not pointed toward the entrance. Entrance width is fine.

You might reconsider the closets. At 3'11" wide, it's not wide enough for a walk-in, but it's wasted space for a reach-in.
  • hummingalong2
    6 years ago

No to glass block also, its just not attractive.

• Lynne Om (9A, New Smyrna Beach,FL)
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Simstress, the shower head would go on the triangular wall we've built out from the upper right corner. There is at least 60" of clearance between it and the curve of the proposed glass wall.
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Mocreidhl, Chiflipper, and HummingLong2: I know that some have strongly-held opinions about glass block and I realize that it runs rather counter to the trends of the moment. That said, I have seen a neighbor's shower and her cleaning lady said they had had no problems with keeping it clean. It also provides a certain level of privacy while still letting some light through and I think I would feel more "comfortable" stumbling against a block wall than a sheet of glass in my old age... I suspect, although I don't know for sure, that creating a curved glass wall of the king I am envisioning might be prohibitively expensive, as much as I might like it--honestly, at my age, I'm not sure that spending, say $30,000 just on the glass is something I would deem "worth it". That said, I can also see disadvantages of glass block: it does not give a sight-line to any tile work within the shower (although I think that colors would show through), impedes an open line of sight to the rear of the bathroom--perhaps eliminating the feel of spaciousness, and does not look as "refined". However, I've been unable to come up with a "look" that inspires me with glass panels, either with a pony wall or without (which would pretty much eliminate what little privacy the toilet might have). Also, I might add that my husband is NOT a friend to the squeegee, so I'm also thinking about how it might look between cleanings, since I'm not about to follow him in & squeegee after his showers as well as my own. I'm always open to ideas, however--at least through the beginning. Of September when I desperately hope that reconstruction will finally begin. :-)
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Simstress, you mentioned the depth of the closets and I am completely in agreement, but I could figure out no way of eliminating that hall and consolidating the closets & still reaching the bathroom, since there is plumbing going up through the wall (!) where his closet abuts the vanity.
  • User
    6 years ago

Lynne Om LOL! You must be super duper old, "at your age". I completely understand your point. There is a point where trend is not important if you plan to stay in your home for quite a while. Whatever works best for you is what you should do. I'm sure you will be happy with the results.

Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks, Mocreidhl! Yeah, if you ask my son, he'd say I'm virtually in the grave, not to mention outdated (but he HATES it when I play Daddy Yankee songs that are, he feels, inappropriate to my age, lol).
  • Susan Davis
    6 years ago

I browsed thru the houzz pics and found this one that is quite nice; I like that they went all the way with the glass blocks, but if you choose simple colors for finish it is pretty slick. This is just an inspiration pic though and you will have your own taste. But fun seeing all the great ideas.

The square floor pattern mimics the glass blocks.

Archevie Design · More Info

Natural stone

Glass Block Shower · More Info

Love the set up and the materials; sleek and soft too.

Scripps Blue Bath · More Info

Curvy shower and tub adds softness to the room

Contemporary Master Bathroom · More Info

Contemporary Master Bathroom · More Info

Let us know what you choose.

• everdebz
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Checking - does the sauna work for you at 6'?... you probably don't want to alter the size.

• everdebz
    6 years ago

As to Jacuzzi's faucet location: would it work to help closet shape/size, to turn it? [so it's sticking out into the room.... then could one closet become wider: wide as the tub is long]....

• felizlady
    6 years ago
    Your vanity is too narrow!!
    Glass block is passe'.
    Your reach-in closets are too deep, and the "hall" to the bedroom is too narrow.
    Your pocket door is a piece of paper? Is there currently a pocket door in that location?
    Do you actually think you will use the jacuzzi tub and the shower and the sauna on a regular basis?
    Where is the storage for towels, toilet paper, Kleenex, soaps, makeup, hair needs, mouthwash, hair spray, shaving stuff?
    Where are the shower controls?
    Do you have an exhaust vent to keep the moisture out of your closets?
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks, Susan, for the inspiration. I appreciate the style of #1, but #2 is more the look I am going for, except with the colors of # 3. I think the shape of the shower & walls is most like #2 but the shower head would be in the corner where the bench is and the bench would slide across to the opposite far corner with a niche above. (It looks as if that is how they mounted the shower head in #5.). While I love the curved tile steps in #4 & 5, we don't have the space to extend the glass wall straight for the length they did there. I envision the blue stripe in #3 but as a curved wave that varies in width. I tried to draw something similar before demo on the wall by the jacuzzi.
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Everdebz, you are right in that I REALLY don't want to mess with the sauna. It's large enough for me to lie down & for my husband to sit by my feet. If i don't use it frequently now, it's only because of the mess in the rest of the bathroom & the summer heat in FL is like a sauna itself! In the photo I just posted for Susan, you can see the jacuzzi before demo. We are thinking of moving the spigot to the long side wall, i.e. under the window, so that each of us has a backrest. I plan to replace the dual handles with a single handle that will be moved to the right front corner wall.
  • User
    6 years ago

I think you should do what you like.

For me, I love glass blocks. We replaced a normal window with glass blocks in my moms tub/shower. It's been about four years now and it looks like the day it was done. It lets in light, and the neighbors can't see (although the window is off the sunroom....which is all regular windows, if we had left it as is....it would have caused some trauma for the neighbor :))

I don't think they're passe at all...Art Deco is simply classic and a style I LOVE. That said....I do think that your tile design will make it look more out-of-date and not in any sort of good way. I wouldn't choose it...but, like I said, it has to be what you like.

Is there some reason you need to tile that area so high up on the wall?

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Someone mentioned 3' not wide enough - but will the 9 feet be open, without closet doors? Might as well leave it open some....but thinking somehow you could rearrange things more.... do you like the plan, ?

Original Author
    6 years ago
    Wow, Felizlady, my first thought was that you didn't sound "feliz" at all, but then I realized that you probably didn't mean to carp about (lack of) my drawing/design skills as much as bring some needed considerations to my attention, for which I thank you. Please remember that this house is not my design per se, but existing construction from 30 years ago with which I am working as best I can. The vanity is 22" wide--I thought that was probably a standard width, but since we plan on replacing it with a custom vanity, we could make it wider if you think that's a good idea--I think there is definitely space to make it 24" or even 26". I am not married to the idea of glass block, but it was the most reasonable way that I could think of to get a curved shower wall, which I do want for whatever strange reason. Perhaps I am mistaken, but I imagine that achieving the same effect with glass would be much more expensive, although I admit I haven't yet called to price it out. My thoughts are that at my age, resale isn't my prime consideration, but ease of maintenance is, and my husband is no friend to the squeegee, nor do I want to follow him after a shower and squeegee for him as well as for myself. About the closets--existing construction. Please check out the alternate plans I tried to draw up from my profile--for one reason or another none of them worked. I am open to alternate plans, but to date I haven't seen any that did not involve completely rebuilding the house and it's existing plumbing, which I am unwilling to do. (Everdebz, you had mentioned turning the jacuzzi sideways and consolidating the closets, but that would require cutting a couple of feet off the vanity & I couldn't figure anything workable out.). Pocket door, despite how I may have drawn it, is a normal, workable, solid wood pocket door. Will I use the jacuzzi, shower & sauna on a regular basis? Yes, although probably more the shower and sauna than the jacuzzi because we have a hot tub by the pool. But a bubble bath when you want one is a really nice luxury. Shower controls will either be below the shower head on the small triangular wall or on the right wall by the shower entrance, depends on what the plumber says is best. Exhaust vent: there was an existing exhaust vent & light in the shower + another over the toilet, both of which we plan on keeping or replacing as appropriate. Note: would appreciate recommendations as to quiet and efficient light/vent combos. Storage: yes, less than perfect, especially because we removed an existing linen closet in the bath between the shower and tub (reason: too many doors--closet, shower, sauna in small space). But, I am older now, without as much need for make-up, hair stuff, etc. We could make a niche in the wall between toilet & shower for a couple extra rolls of tp and we have 3 other vanities in which to store stuff. I think the vanity as it is in length has plenty of room for most things and we could add some open shelves over the toilet for towels. Most of the towels & sheets will probably end up being stored in my bathroom. Am I unhappy with the closet space? Well, coming from a house with a 6x10 closet plus 6 x 10 cedar closet, of course! BUT, I am approaching my 7th decade, mostly retired, and I foresee fewer clothes and shoes in my future, not more (sigh).
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

Ok.. less clothing. If tub were turned, how much walking space would be between vanity and tub? A door placed there.

Wouldn't you like more footage in Master bedroom? [reconfigure/shorten the 9 feet].

• chiflipper
    6 years ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-iron_glass

I suggest you consider glass block made with low-iron glass. It really does make a difference.

Original Author
    6 years ago
    Chiflipper, if I were going with glass panels, I would definitely use low-iron glass. I wasn't aware that was an option with the glass blocks, but will definitely check it out. Actually, I had thought about using tinted glass block for color, but I'm afraid I would grow tired of it more quickly...thanks!
  • User
    6 years ago

Curbless is gonna need jackhammering the slab to move the drain against the far wall, and convert to a trench drain. Ditch that space swallowing sauna, and do an enclosed bit larger steam shower. You'll appreciate the additional room created. Not a fan of having the toilet be there furthest away from the door was can possibly happen, but then I am of a certain age and need it as close as possible. Which is why I don't care for having to pass through closets to get to a bathroom. Separation of the two functions is better for the clothes and the people. You might also want to look at other aging in place features beyond just the curbless shower. Because, as is, the shower couldn't fit a walker through the door, and doesn't have a bench for seating, so what point is it to do it curbless anyway?

Original Author
    6 years ago
    Good comments, Pennydesign & they've made me think. I wish I knew how to copy photos from my idea books here. :-(. I think I'm tired of all the straight stripes with tile and was looking for something different. One of my thoughts was to use Tesoro wave blue-green tile vertically for the entire back wall of the shower and keep the rest white, but I've read about problems with larger glass tiles cracking...and I would be sick if that happened. And I'm not sure what the wave indentations would look like at the wall corners with the grout. I think I'd have to use black grout for the wave tiles and white grout elsewhere. Plus I thought it might be a waste to put up a whole wall of expensive tile in the shower if you couldn't see it through the blocks. At this point (don't tell my husband, who thinks it's silly that I can't just make up my mind with what's available at the big box stores), I'm not wedded to any one design plan, except that I'd like more color than just white and gray.
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Sophie, I totally identify with what you are saying about location of the toilet. BUT, I am not about to tear up the entire 30 year old slab with all the problems that could unleash. New construction, definitely would have a different plan, but as it is, I think we're better off trying to find a compromise. Tearing out the sauna is a NO GO for me--I love it. Don't want a steam shower--a dry sauna (that can also have steam when desired) suits me to a T.
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Oh, Sophie, just realized I hadn't responded to your question about the shower--32" at the opening is not wide enough for a walker? Then we're sunk from the getgo because the entrance to the bathroom is, I think, only 30". There will be a bench--I was thinking fold-down teak--in the corner of the shower nearest the toilet. Niche above or on wall to left of bench.
  • User
    6 years ago

Adapting a home of this age, on slab, to aging in place, gets to be pretty darn expensive. You seriously need to think about moving if all of your hallways aren't at least 36" wide and minimum of 32" doors everywhere. 48" halls and 36" doors are what is being specified for new universal design builds. You're easily in 6 figures to attempt to retrofit. Just a 60K+ bathroom remodel isn't enough. You'd still have to pass through the home to get into the bathroom. And this bathroom requires you to pass through closets as well. Very non universal design friendly.

Original Author
    6 years ago
    Everdebz, the distance between the wall and the vanity is 106", so conceivably a door could fit there, but as you walked in the door, you would bump into anyone who happened to be at the vanity then. Plus, it would mean relocating and reversing the existing pocket door, which I don't think my husband would want to do... The existing closets have bifold doors on them. I would not want a completely open closet because, unfortunately, I'm not that near in certain areas of my house.. :-) Take a look at my idea book of bath plans--I tried to come up with alternatives and didn't really like any of them.
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

I'm not on others' level - but if only thing moved [placed a few feet down the wall idk].... is the faucet, what about? 3' is almost wasted? Can't shower be entered from room's center more so? and move tub down, etc......

• User
    6 years ago

There are very low curb shower pans now (I'm on a slab, too and we had wanted curbless as that area of the house was originally built to be accessible.....but the shower currently has about a four inch curb)....anyway. I will have to have a curb so I'll make it as low profile as I can with as wide a shower entrance as I can get.

My parents are in their 80's and still climb over a tub every day (not ideal, but there's no more renovation in their future). They do have grabber bars but no seat.

Have you considered just an angled front? Forgive me if I missed that part of the discussion....Then it would be more contemporary like your ideas indicate you would like.

I know nothing about these people: http://www.onyxcollection.com/custom-lowprofile-shower-base-pan.html

But you may want to check it out....I see they make a "ramp" that's only 6" deep that can be added on permanently.

• mark1993
    6 years ago

I just wanted to add a comment on glass block. The window in our master bath, located above the tub, is glass block. I like it because it offers complete privacy at all times, yet the room is light filled. I never have a dusty window treatment to close or clean.

Original Author
    6 years ago
    Sophie, yes, you are absolutely right, and when I get there, I probably will have to move to an OFH (old folks' home) but I'm not there yet. Right now I'm at a place where I'd like to have a few items in place, such as grab bars, a bench, a fairly open shower, but not do the whole kit and kaboodle. We bought this house last October and we still haven't moved in. :-( At this point I think I've totally given up on having any kind of a dream bathroom and am just trying to come up with something we can finish (for the most part, ourselves) and MOVE IN! The last 2 contractors we talked to wouldn't be able to start until December, for Pete's sake. The one designer we've been working since February with has not come up with a drawing to go from, nor have any of the 3 contractors she talked to called us. We do have a tile person who can come at beginning of September, so I'm trying to make sure that when he comes he's not going to say, "Hey, this plan can't be done." Sorry, but I'm feeling just the tiniest bit frustrated right now. I completely recognize the truth of what you are saying, but if true ADA compatible isn't possible without rebuilding the house from the ground up, what could we do just to have a working bathroom?
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks, Mark, for letting me know about your experience. That helps.
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi Everdebz, check out the original bath plan in my idea book "Bath Plans". Unfortunately I can't move the tub closer to the shower because the existing pipes come up from the slab in the wall between the shower and the tub. I could conceivably extend the shower up to the tub and make the entrance into the center of the bathroom using a sliding door, which would create a huge shower, but it wouldn't be doorless any more. I was afraid doing that would make the bathroom look smaller + no place for towel hooks (which I was going to put on the wall between the shower entrance and the tub). Pennydesign, thanks for the direction to low curb shower bases. I had wanted a tiled floor in the shower, but they might be worth looking into. Anyone have experience with these?
  • User
    6 years ago

I had originally wanted tile also, but I've read too much about failure plus there's the whole grout cleaning thing....so I'm flip flopping between a solid surface or a cast iron.

We also live in an area that's got "expansive soil"....and is building new like crazy, so that's where the good workers are... :) They're not to interested in my little project.

FWIW, I don't think it will look smaller if you have a door. If anything, the glass block will visually take up more space.

I'm just kind of in the same position you are (except we have three bathrooms to do) so I hear your frustration.

Original Author
    5 years ago
    For all who were generous with their help/comments along the way, some after pics of our bathroom.
  • PRO
    Innovate Building Solutions
    4 years ago

Lynn - your project came out very nice. Sorry I just saw the email string - or I would have commented earlier. We supply prefabricated shower wall and base systems. Well done- Mike

• felizlady
    4 years ago

You need to be able to reach into the shower and turn on/adjust the water temperature before you step into the shower. The shower head should be spraying on an angle away from the shower entry.

• jcyoncrest
    3 years ago

THANK YOU @Lynne Om (9A, New Smyrna Beach,FL) for following up with pics! So many folks don't do that! So appreciate!!

Original Author
    3 years ago

@jcyoncrest. You’re welcome. For what it’s worth, I LOVE how the bathroom came out. It makes me happy every time I use it.