Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swagner2468

Replacing all Floors with LVP and Carpet - Please Help!

Tammy
6 years ago

We have been updating our house little by little over the past few years and I have spent hours on the Houzz forums trying to research different products, designs and ideas. I feel like now I am spinning my wheels with flooring because I have made so many decisions and I can't seem to make a flooring one!

We currently have 20 year old light carpet through out most of our house, with the exception of hardwood floors in the kitchen and sheet vinyl in the bathroom/laundry room. I love look of hardwood unfortunately, living with an ill-behaved pet and really bad feet won't allow me to do that. So here is my plan:

1. Plush carpet on our 2nd story (bedrooms, office, hallway) - Flooring store recommended Mohawk Smartstrand

2. Plush carpet on the stairs (???)

3. Glue down professionally installed LVP on main floor (One mom and pop flooring shop sells Armstrong and Tarkett, but said they liked Novalis the best and I had never heard of that company)

My issue is I can't decide what brand to go with. I feel like I can't move forward because there are so many wildly conflicting ideas/experiences and it is not cheap. Help!

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Koeber's Interiors: Flooring, Furniture, Windows
    6 years ago

LVP is an excellent plan. We only install interlocking planks and no glue down so I can't say I can give any good insight to the brands you are looking at. Most important is to make sure your installer is credible.
    As for the carpet, I'd look at a nylon instead if you're expecting this carpet to last as long as your last. Or at least do your research on fibers before purchasing the carpet you are looking at. http://carpetprofessor.com/ has some good info in general on carpet buying and carpet fibers that is a great source not influenced by any manufacturer. We have no association with the site but many of our customers love it and rely on it heavily to do unbiast research (he does have great honest information on carpet buying). A nice dense plush that is not too tall will do good on stairs if it's a nylon fiber. Dixie Hearts Content is an excellent style for stairs and other areas. We've installed miles of it and it's a great value and great cleanability. http://www.dixie-home.com/web/forms/productdetail.aspx?sId=G5221&cId=25210 

Here is a photo of it installed on stairs-we did this a few weeks ago.

Good luck on your project!

• 5birdy
    6 years ago

I can totally relate to your panic. When building our ranch home 5 yrs ago, shopping for flooring was a nightmare. Builders and salespeople did not understand my panic over beloved elderly "leaky" dogs. By some miracle, I discovered a luxury vinyl plank sample in our builder's preferred store. It cost more per sq ft, but the installation was so easy (definitely no glue! they just laid it down on bare concrete which was pristine given new build) and required little extra materials so it didn't cost much more than builder carpet/wood install. Koeber has great advice to make sure both the store and installer are credible. We put it all over the house (no carpet except for throw rugs). Thank goodness! Our elderly dogs have since passed and well, having puppies and birds bring in the same issues. We love this floor! It is soft on the feet. It does scratch a bit so rug protection is necessary under heavily used furniture. But it has survived MANY accidents and even a fridge leak, which laminate would not. The appraiser thought it was real wood!

• Tammy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Koebers - I just saw Dixie today when I was looking at a new flooring place. The salesman there suggested 100% smartstrand or nylon. His highest suggestions were Karastan Smartstrand and Shaw's Anso Nylon. I will check out the website thank you!

5birdy - So glad someone else understands my pain! The salesman today showed me the Korlok by Karndean, it seemed pretty interesting so I may look into something that is not glue down. Thanks!

• Tammy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

5birdy - What brand did you go with?

• 5birdy
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Our showroom had a product called MetroFlor Engage which is only available in certain areas, but I would certainly contact them. Sorry for the delay; for some reason I did not receive an email alert like I normally do on Houzz discussions!

• V M
    4 years ago

so did you make a decision? Your post sounds exactly like me - from 20 yr old carpet, to wood in kitchen (that needs replacing) to dogs, etc...

I'm thinking of LVP also but overwhelmed with all that is out there and making the wrong choice. Would love to hear about your experience - what you recommend and what you do NOT recommend.