Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trashcanman

What do you think of this laundry room layout?

Michael Lamb
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Building a custom home, what do you think about this layout? This room will serve two adults and two kids.

Comments (13)

• Cedric Owens
    6 years ago

Makes sense to me and looks like you have everything that you need. I'd add that don't miss out on the opportunity to add a counter top over the washer and dryer.

• Michael Lamb
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I thought about adding a counter/surface above the washer and dryer, but decided not to. I think it will hinder access to the back of the units for connections, and possibly limit my future appliance selections. Plus, its just another expense and we are already over budget. And there would not be much clearance between the counter and the wall cabinets.

Should have mentioned this earlier, was thinking about adding a build in ironing board, but we are a casual family and rarely iron anything...

• georgect
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I don't know...it there enough room to slide out a full sized washer with the counters and dryer in place (it looks tight in there)..

Are you going to do the ironing in there? Is there room for an ironing board opened up?

• Michael Lamb
    Original Author
    6 years ago

No ironing. I had not thought about having enough space to rotate the appliances and get them in place. I think there will be enough room based on this?

• kris_zone6
    6 years ago

That utility cabinet is not going to hold much in the way of vacuums, brooms, ironing board or do you have another place for those items?

• enduring
    6 years ago

If depth is a concern you can always make the counter across from the w/d not as deep. My thought about the closet is to have either part or all of it a tall pull out for broom, vac, ironing board, or what ever, so these tools have a designated spot for storage, and always accessible. Might prevent the dreaded hell hole, that I had in my old bathroom.

• Michael Lamb
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Its been so long since we have ironed anything I don't even know where the ironing board is...

• Michael Lamb
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm puzzled, because I thought that is how my drawings show the washer and dryer door opening right now?

• enduring
    6 years ago

you do have it in the drawing correctly, to open away from the center, making it easy to move laundry from washer to dryer. The issue that @aamassther is probably speaking to is that most w/d open the opposite way. The washer is usually placed on the left because its hing is on the left. The dryer placed on the right, with its hing on the right. The only brand that I know that open the way you have drawn is a Miele. The Electorlux has reversible doors on their models I believe, or at least they did on their older models.

• Michael Lamb
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think I get it now... The GE front loading washing machine that I have now and will move to the new house does not allow me to switch the hinge side, it is fixed on the left. The dryer does allow me to switch the hinge side though.

But considering the other long wall is shared with the garage, I'm probably just going to have to keep them on that side and the washing machine won't be next to the sink.

• enduring
    6 years ago

But in your drawing you have your washing machine on the right and with hinges on the right. That is atypical for most machines. You say your machine has hinges on the left, so the machine would be handier if placed to the left of the dryer.

• Michael Lamb
    Original Author
    6 years ago

When I had the machines delivered they stacked them in my basement, and they changed the hinge side of the dryer to match the washer. I incorrectly assumed that if they can change the hinge on the dryer, that they can change the hinge washer too.