Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weety

Help! My beigey taupe sofa turned out to be gray...and now green!

weety
6 years ago

I just purchased an all leather taupe sofa that looked more on the beige side at the store. I loved the color--not to dark, not too light! But when we got it moved in to my living room, it looked super gray. Now, at night, it looks a bit more beige, but now it appears to be an olive green! I'm sure there is a color wheel issue (or maybe just lighting?) going on, but I can't figure out what I need to do to get it back to the beigey taupe that I thought I bought! Is it hopeless?

Here are some pictures:

At the store it looked more beige

Here is when we first put it in my living room

And now at night, it looks more beige, but kind of green!

Comments (33)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    That is crazy. Sure is a lighting issue. Do you have LED White in your lighting or standard incandescent bulbs? Lighting in showrooms is usually super bright white.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Very nice pieces though. Also your floors, rug and wall color will influence too.
    weety thanked Flo Mangan
  • weety
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm not sure what color of lighting I have, but they are not LED. They might be CFL. I thought it was weird that the daylight light made it look gray. I would have thought the showroom had more of the daylight-like bright light.

• Ana Gonzalez
    6 years ago
    Love the sofas, and that sage green color (that they turned) is really in. All you need are some patterned pillows that bring your sofa color and your accent color together. Maybe a floral that has greens, reds, and beiges. A rug would really bring it all together too.
    weety thanked Ana Gonzalez
  • havingfun
    6 years ago

this is such a common problem as to be a nonproblem. decorate so they look good,chances are you will barely need to change other colors.

• DH
    6 years ago

It looks to me like it's the lighting (agree 100% with Flo, change to all LED white bulbs), plus the surrounding colors that are influencing how the color reads. In the showroom, the couch has darker colors behind it—looks like a dark grey wall and that burgundy couch, plus a primarily whitish creamy floor. You have a lighter wall and wood flooring, so it is going to look darker and more gray in comparison to those. The green at night is simply a matter of your yellowish light making them look more green. In all the pictures, it's still a lovely couch, even though it is more chameleon like than you thought. Decorate with your favorite colors, great art and your favorite things and enjoy!

• eelh
    6 years ago

Really interesting how the colors change. I love the couch. What brand/name is it? Thanks.

• Bette P
    6 years ago
    It's not the same piece, did they give you the same color? Take your cushion back to the store to compare if the big sectional is still there.
    I like them, they are not the usual huge oversized ones!
  • weety
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for all who have replied. I'm so disappointed and frustrated right now. :( I had one of those big, giant, huge, brown marshmallow sofas that recline, and I FINALLY got brave enough to get rid of it and look for something more up to date, and then this happens! So now I lost my comfortable reclining couch and I'm stuck with something that looks kind of ugly in my space. I'm so sad right now. :(

• Bette P
    6 years ago

Don't be sad, you'll get some help with this. You can improve this with the right lighting as suggested. CFL's can be warm white, neutral or blueish-white, take them out and see if they labelled. Depending on the direction this room faces, the light coming in windows will be different. North facing rooms can be cool and bluish, east facing can turn bluer later in the day. West facing can look dull in the morning. If you change the bulbs, remove your pillows and throw so they don't affect your eye to reading the sofa color.

What color name/number/brand do you have on the walls? It may have a green undertone to it.

weety thanked Bette P
  • weety
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Okay, one step at a time and breathe...

I took the light bulb out and it is not LED, and I don't think it is CFL because it doesn't have those weird curly bulbs in the middle. It says, "Philips DuraMax 65 w 120v Flood." Does that mean it is incandescent?

My living room is facing south out the windows. So is that called south light?

And about the paint, YES! The old paint color has an olive-green undertone. Does that make the green stand out more in the couch? I would have expected the opposite. Shows how much I know! The paint is from over 10 years ago--probably 15! Yikes!

• Bette P
    6 years ago

Ok, one more thing I would do. Take one sofa cushion outside to see what color it really looks like. Take a white sheet outside as a backdrop if you have one. Does it look grey or brownish or greenish outside? Cool or warm? Don't be standing under green trees either! LOL!

weety thanked Bette P
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

OK, easiest first step is new light bulbs. Those are regular incandescent bulbs and those tend to glow yellow/gold tones. That is impacting your color. Second, wall color. Big influence, but probably even more is the flooring. Loads of gold and yellow coming from the wood. So next easiest fix, a nice rug in a light and bright white tone with perhaps some gray lines or pattern. Not too dark. Test a couple of small ones in looks and feels you like and then get the size you need. Rugs should fit under your sofas at least 6" better if about 12" for all furniture. All front legs should be on the rug. Then see what happens to your leather color. Last, wall color. For sure you need to paint at some point. Old paint doesn't have any of the modern full spectrum qualities that keep coloring clean, so that is a big factor too. Once you do the lighting and rug, I think you will see a big difference, but probably not going to be fully best until the walls are painted. Now selecting a color for your walls is a whole other dilemma!! :)

• weety
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I just looked at LED light bulbs and the choices are soft white or daylight. One is 2700K and the other is 5000K. I think I would prefer the softer white, but is that the same color as incandescent?

• weety
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh, and the sofa only had two colors--a dark, dark brown and the lighter color I got called mushroom.

• rocketjcat
    6 years ago
    They look like 2 entirely different colors to me, regardless of lighting. And since the sectional and the sofa are 2 distinct items, it could be possible that the sectional came in more colors, even though the sofa was only 2. Also perhaps the floor model is old color names. I would hotfoot it back to the store with a cushion to verify.
    weety thanked rocketjcat
  • weety
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here is my plan of attack:

1. Pick up new light bulbs. I found some at Lowe's that say "Bright White" and seem to be in between soft white and daylight. I think that is what Flo was talking about.

2. Take cushion back to check at store. Although, I am pretty sure it is correct because when I look at the part of the store couch photo that is in the shadows, it looks like my color. I don't have as much of a problem with the grayish color--it is the olive green tint that I think looks bad in my house that I didn't see at the store.

3. We needed to paint anyways, so I'll call the painter and see when he can come. We have BM Dove Wing on our dining and kitchen walls that looks good. It is a nice white that I think will help lighten up all the dark wood I have in my living room. Will that color work?

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Look at your floors in all three pictures. All show different colors, so changing light bulbs is a good idea, but I think your first two photos are showing the south light impacting the room, as the sun is moving around your windows. Even the throw pillows show differently.

The green tone at night is probably light bulb related.

I bet if you paint your walls a a gray…specifically, B.M Gull Wing Gray…your sofas will look truer to the color. Add the proper light bulbs and it will work beautifully at night.

Find a rug in tones like this…and once the sofas are balance with the grays, the leather will show better

Brentwood 8020L Abstract Multi/ Blue Area Rug, 5'3"x7'3" · More Info
    South light is wonderful, but it is strong and remember, isn’t consistent. As the day goes on, it will do different things to your room.

North light can make a room dark, but at least it is consistent and wall paint will make up the difference.

weety thanked JudyG Designs
  • DH
    6 years ago

Definitely still think it's worth taking a cushion in and checking the color against the floor sample. Die lots can differ too.

weety thanked DH
  • acm
    6 years ago

I think that the couch in the third photo looks just like that in the first, indicating that your night-time lights match the store lighting. It's the gray color in daylight that's really different. I think this is just about the effects of light on shiny leather, and the naturally chameleon character of grays.

weety thanked acm
  • jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    GE Reveal bulbs give a very attractively balanced light. You definitely need a major rug (whose colour will be picked up by the reflectiveness of the leather.
    weety thanked jbtanyderi
  • weety
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, it is the same color as the showroom. :( The store just has lighting that makes it look lighter and more beige. I'm picking up lightbulbs next.

@jbtanyderi, I couldn't find a mid white in the Reveal bulbs. I think they only had soft white and daylight. But I'm on my way to pick up the other bulbs that said bright light They were 3500K which is in between the 2700 of soft white and the 5000 of daylight. I tried a daylight one and it looked way too bright and harsh. I'm hoping the mid white will work. Fingers crossed.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

I use the 3000K in the bright white for bathrooms, but you might like the soft white for your living room. Remember the "for dimmers" point I made. If you have dimmers which would be helpful. If you don't have them, and you have overhead recessed lighting, do that. It really helps. Especially in a room where lighting is rather critical. Good luck. On your point about incandescent lighting, it is a warm white more of a golden light rather than white. Much softer than LED whites.

• Boxerpal
    6 years ago

Hi Weekly, I have been watching your posts, and thinking of you. Sending lots of positive energy, and luck your way hoping it all comes together.

• Alisha S
    6 years ago
    Oh man, I'm in this same boat. We special ordered a $2500 sectional and picked our "grey" fabric at the store and when we received it and got it in our room...totally green!! Eeek. We have north facing huge double windows so we get quite a bit of daylight. I was thinking of makeup...I had a green primer to combat redness, so I figured if I used colors with red undertones that it would combat the green? I need to repaint also and get new flooring, so hopefully my issue will be resolved soon, but just know that I feel your pain!! Good luck!
    weety thanked Alisha S
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

This is why having a designer go with your for these major purchases can be invaluable, because we know how these stores light things up. I also take fabric samples outside into the daylight to see what they do too. Tricks of the trade. I think you will sort this out, but I can sure understand the disappointment and upset over feeling you have more to do. It is a "process"! For sure. Also, leather is tricky and depending on the supplier, and where they get their leather from, it can vary from the samples. I also get a "current run" sample of all fabrics and leathers to make sure. Verify, verify. These tips won't help you now, but for others reading this and for your next large purchase, get a couple hours help from a designer who knows the local suppliers and can go with you for best results. Should be able to get some designer discounts as well. Meantime, hope some lighting changes really helps. At least for starters!

weety thanked Flo Mangan
  • weety
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for all the advice! Flo, You are right about the lightbulbs! The 3500K are still too bright! Yowsers! I didn't realize that the 2700k LEDs will still look less warm than incandescent 2700k bulbs. That would have saved me some running around because those are pretty standard and everywhere! lol But, it has made a bit of the greeness go away! :)

I don't have any dimmers, so I'll get some soft white LED (2700k) tomorrow and see if those work better. After I figure out lighting, I'll be able to move on with accessorizing and figuring out a paint color.

As long as I can lose some of the olive greeniness, I think the color of them will be okay.Do I still wish they were more beige? Yes, but I'm okay with a gray taupe--just not an olive green couch. Yuck.

• Snaggy
    6 years ago

The shop picture looks grey to me

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    So you are making progress with lighting changes. I will bet changing your wall color and perhaps getting off white with pure black tint for true gray without any other undertones is your next best bet.
    I am not a fan of LED lighting in living spaces because of how harsh the light is even with the newer warm whites. But given your leather it is a quick option.
  • weety
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The paint color that I was going to carry over to the living room was going to be BM Dove Wing. But I don't think that has a gray tint. I think it has a very slight yellow tint--I think it is similar to Simply White. Any color recommendations that wouldn't clash with that? The dining room walls/entry area are right next to where the living room walls start, so it would have to somewhat go together.

Right now there is an tannish color on the walls that has a lot of green undertones (almost the same color as the couch at night). Is that making the green come out more on the sofa? What undertone in the paint should I look for to lessen the green? We are overdue for painting anyways.

• weety
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I bought the GE Reveal light bulbs like jbtanyderi recommended, and it has really helped a lot with the night time greeniness! Thank you for all the lighting ideas and advice. If anyone has ideas on paint colors, I'd love to hear them. I'm also looking to buy a new coffee table (something with an industrial touch) that is smaller and more in line with the new sofa. Would it be better to start a new thread now that I've got the lighting issue somewhat under control?

• havingfun
    6 years ago

Living Room Furniture - Sofas, Coffee Tables and Decor | At Home Stores · More Info

Coffee Tables | Joss & Main · More Info

weety thanked havingfun
Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio