Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arcy_gw

Day 16 My House in August "Bedroom"

arcy_gw
6 years ago

DD#2 graduated/got job/moved so it was time to turn her room into a guest room. It was a fun summer project.

Comments (26)

• amykath
    6 years ago

• Jak Perth
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

A bedroom set that has been in my family for at least a hundred years. It was in very bad shape so I refurbished it for my Grandson. All the tops are marble.

• raphaellathespanishwaterdog
    6 years ago

Very calming, restful bedrooms :)

We recently swapped sleeping quarters as we had been using what should be the master as our library/second living room. As we hope to sell soon we've added a bed/lost a sideboard etc in order to re-instate it as the master, but it's currently full of stuff I'm going through to sell so not fit for photographing, lol!

So these are pics of the room we were sleeping in till a couple of months ago. The bedroom suite is c1900 Belgian, the rug and chair are modern repros, the period fireplace was found at an auction house 200 miles away - we collected it and had to dismantle it to fit in our Land Rover ;) - and the decorative objects/antiques have been collected over the past fifteen years. I made the curtains.

• Bonnie
    6 years ago

This chair was just "gifted" to me by DD, who just came back to the US after working in Europe for a few months. She bought a condo and this chair "doesn't work". She took Jenny Lund, which I really liked there!

The table beside it is one of a pair that my late father refinished, including meticulously polishing the brass and all its crevices. I adore these tables.

Here is another table restored by my late father. It was from his NH house, which he bought fully furnished. This one has a metal base, but he refinished the top. Again, very precious to me (and Billie, who just has to be in every single picture I take!)

The 3 rugs, Bidjar and Bokhara are among several in our home. I never tire of them! I got my love of red from my mother.

I'm enjoying seeing everyone's special bedrooms, filled with furnishings with sentimental meaning.

• LynnNM
    6 years ago

Nothing much has changed in our master bedroom. I decorated it to be a calm and romantic retreat for us, and it is. It has great views out the door wall of the mountains in this direction:

Kiva fireplace reading nook. This is an older pic as I'm too lazy to take a new one. I've since relocated most of the things on the mantel and hearth, except for the old log bucket:

Another sitting area to the left of the bed. The table is usually next to the chair.

Just to the left of my chair is the door that leads to our private, walled garden. I just took this a minute ago:

And in the foyer of our MBR, you can better see our painted, exposed adobe walls. The nicho there holds one of our santos. The silver pitcher on the chest was a wedding gift to my parents from a family friend, the doctor who delivered me 10 months later. It's very special to me.

Oh, and just for kicks, here's a pic I took the other morning of fresh bear tracks on the brick patio outside the big door wall of our bedroom. Needless to say, we are NOT sleeping with that open anymore (LOL)!

• Bonnie
    6 years ago

Bumblebeez, so very sorry for your loss. What a handsome boy he was!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    6 years ago

Thank you, Bonnie. He was the best ever.

• LynnNM
    6 years ago

I am so sorry, Bumblebeez. He was a darling dog, and so blessed to have had you for his mom.

• ahoyhere
    6 years ago

My condolences, Bumblebeez. Losing a companion is the hardest :(

Our bedroom doesn't look at all like anyone else's.

Last November, we moved from a gorgeous 1740s rowhouse in Old City, Philadelphia to this low-ceilinged "cottage" on 10 acres. The house is from the 70s and inexplicably has 7'4" ceilings in many rooms. The master bedroom is dark as a cave during the day and when we got it, it was painted an awful yellowy-cream color that just looked filthy due to the lack of light, so I took that advice to go dark and make it cozy because a light color would never look good anyway. The result…

Well, it was an experiment. The ceiling is going back to white, because it's freaking claustrophobic.

It's almost too dark to tell, but our nightstands have that sweet mid-century "polynesian" look to them with hand-carved details and herringbone veneer on the drawer fronts. The headboard is a Lane brutalist one. The bird painting was made by an artist on an old piece of a piano!

Watson loves the bed.

This is what it looks like mid-day with all the lights off.

Our hope is to bump out about 10 feet to add a master bathroom, vault the ceiling (it's a "shed" addition with no attic so why not??), and add a big wall of windows and skylights.

Til then… white ceiling. And lots of lamps.

• caroline94535
    6 years ago

Now from sublime bedrooms to the other end of the spectrum!

My too small bedroom. The colors are all off; the "Safari" green wall color and the woven bedspread are actually the same color. The purple tote is there because I was putting away some heavier winter clothes.

The bed is not jammed against the window wall. There's about 24" of space between them.

There are holes still unpatched above the window. I was trying to update with a longer, heavier oak traverse rod and pinch pleated drapery panels on each side of the window. It just was not me. I like lace toppers and I love blinds that can be opened, shut, raised, lowered, or angled up, down, or center. They just "work" for me.

The furniture was bought "used" 25 years ago with the intention to update before long. We have had two mattress and box spring sets in that time, but the old Basset furniture is still here.

• Lars
    6 years ago

We have three bedrooms, but one is a tentative guest room (with air mattress), and the rest of the time it is an exercise/sewing room, but I sometimes move my sewing machines into the art studio, when I have large projects.

Here are photos from my own bedroom:

These two painting were done by my brother during his "abstract" phase. And here is the silk damask curtain I made for my linen closet:
    It is also lined in silk, partly because I have so much silk in my sewing room. My linen closet conceals access to plumbing for the bath/shower in my bathroom, and so I removed the bi-fold doors when I needed to have new plumbing installed in my bathroom. I also had the plumber leave an access hole in my closet, and I covered it with a removable panel, for easier access in the future. I did not like the bi-fold doors on my linen closet, and so I made the curtain to replace them.

Here are silk brocade valances I made for my brother's bedroom:

(Watercolor painting by my brother on the lower left - from his realism/romantic phase) The fabric I used had a pattern that alternated between leopards and tigers, and I pieced it together so that one valance has leopards and one has tigers. They do not match, but they look similar enough.

Here is the headboard that I designed and we made for his bed:

I drew the shape for it freehand with the corners curved so that it would be easier to upholster. The fabric is African mudcloth that was hand-stitched together, and so I had to back the fabric before we could upholster the headboard. The bedspread is African mudcloth that we found at the same shop. There is some sort of message written into the headboard, but I am not sure what it means. I think it has something to do with wishing good luck and prosperity.

Here's a photo from the sometimes guest bedroom:

• micheletx
    6 years ago

Bumblebeez, I'm so sorry for your loss. Pets are such an important part of our lives. It's so hard to say goodbye.

We have an antique iron and brass bed. The birdcage was purchased from someone who bought movie props. It was in one of the Batman movies. The mirror came from an old theater. We repurposed an old library card file as a TV stand.

• raphaellathespanishwaterdog
    6 years ago

ahoyhere, I adore your bedroom.......and especially love the bird painting :) Fabulous!

• cliff_and_joann
    6 years ago

Made the two end tables and perfume cabinet to match our existing bedroom

set, Refinished the wash stand in front of the bed; it's a family heirloom.

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

My bedroom at home is not photo worthy at the moment, but here's my beach house bedroom...

The door to the left leads to a cozy second-story deck.

• pamghatten
    6 years ago

Bumblebeez, I am also very sorry for your loss!

Lars, I love that painting of the cat ... so true to form!

And I think it's funny how many of our bedroom pictures show a cat on the bed.

This is my guest bedroom, with the antique family bed that I slept in as I was growing up. For some reason, my bedroom had all the old antiques as a child ...

And this is my bedroom, with only one pillow for some odd reason, and Bailey in his usual spot:

Looking into the Master Bath ...

• torreykm
    6 years ago

This isn't our master - but a recent re-do of our son's bedroom (he's moved out on his own now). It was medium/dark blue and my thought was to make it "clean and serene". Nothing over the bed right now because DH is going to attempt making a headboard. Will wait to hang art and possible wall lamps until that's done. I'm not sure the pine armoire will stay; if it does, I'll probably paint it.

Before -

• roarah
    6 years ago

My cats' room aka guest room

my room not my favorite furniture but DH brought it across the pond with him when he moved here 15 years ago and it reminds him of home so it will stay.

• dedtired
    6 years ago

Well, at least I am honest. Here is my guest room / home office in its current condition. I am in the midst of weeding papers. This poor room is always last in my list.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

The master bedroom in summer and winter versions, and the guest bedroom with a totally inappropriate coffee table, for which we have no other place.

• User
    6 years ago

This is our master bedroom. A bit feminine but DH doesn't mind. The paper was put up by a former owner about 30 years ago and it's just a pretty paper.

• czarinalex
    6 years ago

My master bedroom here in PA is still a work in progress. But here are some pics of our master in CA. I'm very happy with the way it turned out. Everything is either craigslist or consignment stores. I'll be looking for a rug next time we are there.

• jakabedy
    6 years ago

Such great rooms, and such variety. The new house is still a wreck/work-in-progress, so you're getting the starkly decluttered stretchy realtor shots of the bedrooms in the house we're selling. I bought all the beds specifically for that house, and they totally don't work in the new house. I'm missing my sweet Pueblo revival house quite a bit, but I know the new MCM place will be great with time. And money. Time and money. (sigh)

Master:

Guest room (large 1920s Spanish armoire across from bed isn't in view):

My office, with twin daybed for guest overflow:

• gsciencechick
    6 years ago

Bumbebeez, I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your dog.

I really don't have good photos of our BR. These are after repainting last summer. I had planned on BM Stonington Gray but I gave the painters the wrong gallon, so we have BM Nantucket Fog! Oh well, I think the Nantucket Fog is probably a nicer color anyways, and I sold the unopened gray paint on Nextdoor.

I bought the Lexington white BR furniture when I was single, and I paid good money for it. So, yeah, I'm sure not DH's first choice. So, I have the paisley bedding that is a little less feminine. The iron headboard we got after we got a new mattress. I never ordered the Seaside headboard because it was really big.

Needed to include kitty pics, too!

Here is the guest room that I also posted on the "green" thread. It is also a cat room. I do not use the Marimekko bedding for every day. I have another coverlet. I posted yesterday we are thinking about giving up the guest room to make it more of a music room or else a workout room. Walls are SW Celery.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

ahoyhere, it might feel claustrofobic, yet as we don't live there ourselves-to us, it looks drop dead gorgeous..I hope you share changes later?..

I absolutely loved all the different textures in the thread..the stucco, the wood, the mudcloth, the lace..

I couldn't really play yesterday,, also our master bedroom is kinda long, so I have bits and pieces rather than one normal pic..yet since I want the easiness of following the thread..:) which is just too great to miss.. I'll post my DD's bedroom..it's small enough to capture the most of it