Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ycloh1

Saving cactus Uebelmannia Pectinifera

A year ago got 2 U. Pectinifera. One growing well, but the other shrinking and not growing. Decided to check the roots, roots not good. Reason of not growing. Need to re grow new roots.

Close-up

Re grow roots test date 17Aug2017.

The setup water culture method.

Some water in the glass container. Clean roots. Any pvc cut round with a hole in the center big enough for the roots to go through.

And place the cap on the glass container mouth. And wait.

Today 25Aug2017, decided to check, wow roots and roots hairs grown. Will leave it there until more roots are established.

Actually roots hairs are the one that take in nutrients. Another cactus saved.

Hope this help growers with similar problems

Comments (23)

• socks
    6 years ago

Interesting. I hope the roots make the transition to soil. Keep us posted.

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Socks, sure will do.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

That looks cool:). I hate when roots get like that. Why do you think that happens? I think it's from not enough water, but I really don't know.

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Kara, from my little experience, I think did not totally removed the peat from the roots. When peat dried up and harden overtime it will repel water so even the water drain out the roots still did not get water properly.

Secondly, during watering timing , gave too little water. Best to drench the plant like nature did. Top to bottom a good drench.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

That's what I thought not enough h2o. I've had this happen on a few on my cactus usually Mammillaria. The roots become dust.

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Kara,I Have kill countless cacti not knowing how to. Store bought cactus always used peat, because it cheap and light. Overtime growing in the peat the peat have harden. (Found out the hard way, ouch!) It kill the plant slowly.

Wash out all the peat before repotting.

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Update progress.

Before.

Today 3 sep 2017

The cactus growing. The wrinkle straighten up.

More roots.

Overall results more roots and the cactus is growing. Because the roots are absorbing water n nutrients.

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Karen, when started the only 10% of the cactus roots touch the water.

Unfortunately I have not try Echeveria, not easy to grow in Singapore.

• karen (R.I.)
    6 years ago

Thank you

Ycloh1 (Singapore) thanked karen (R.I.)
  • Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Karen, I found this on the net, using the same method I used for cactus. Propagating succulents with water.

http://www.shopterrain.com/article/propagating-succulents

Hope this help.

• karen (R.I.)
    6 years ago

Ycloth1, Thank you for the information. It' very interesting. I have a large etna echeveria that I be-headed & right now its on top of an empty pot waiting to grow roots. I have done this w a curly echeveria & a topsy turvy & it works, but takes a long time. The etna was very expensive, i'm a chicken, but if it doesn't start to grow roots soon I will be brave & try it. Thank you for your time. Karen

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Karen, I have shared a number of method which was successful saving my plants. Most of them are try and error and see which one works.

I was also scare like you, to try because some cactus are very expensive. But than bite the bullet and do it.

The more you try , the more you understand how plants grow. Any way plants are survivalist.

This Neochilenia Paucicostata Cactus cost me $35. Unfortunately after 2week it was rotted from the inside out. To save it , l dissect and save only the areolas, grafted 3 areolas only one make it.

Above is the result. Take months to get to this size.

• karen (R.I.)
    6 years ago

Hi Ycloth1, That is so cool & impressive!! You have a lot of knowledge so yes I'm going to bite the bullet & do it. I read the link & have it saved in favorites, very interesting. Also I have been reading this site for a few years & learned a lot to. I must tell you, you have very beautiful & interesting plants. Just saw the September blooms. AWESOME!!!! Thank you, Karen

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Karen, Just to add, recently I was doing some research how to reduce transplants stress to plants. Found B-1 fertilize , farmer said good for transplant, bought it try it. After a 2 weeks using it ( I have plenty of fat plants seedling to transplant to pots) found that plant stress is less. New leaves grow faster plant are more stable.

The re rooting cactus in water can also used B-1. I will try or test or experiment saving a plant. But sometimes it works something it don't, re-adjust the method.

• karen (R.I.)
    6 years ago

Hi Ycloth1, What exactly is B-1 fertilizer? A vitamin, never heard of it. Going to look it up to. Thank you, Karen

• karen (R.I.)
    6 years ago

Hi Ycloth1, Found it on Amazon. Going to order some. I have 10 very large planters potted outside all succulents mixed, I have to take them out of the very large pots and transplant them into smaller pots, separate them so they can winter over inside. They did great outside. I used umbrellas to protect them from to much rain & sunburn. Worked great! They have grown a lot, made babies to (Imbricata & Vera Higgins Afterglow, Ghost plant ect. Aloes doubled in size. Only had 1 casualty. 1 Aloe. No bugs yet? Will start soon. Thank you for all your advice. I think the B-1 fertilizer will be a great help w/ transplanting them. Big job!! Love it!! Thanks again, Karen

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

I wonder what it really is (B1 fertilizer). Is it just a B1 vitamin 'all dressed up' or something else? Reading about using vitamins for plants, here is something about B1:

- read here -

From the linked article:

It is fairly easy to find testimonials for vitamin B-1, root stimulators, and other garden products. It is more difficult to find published studies on the efficacy of these materials. I encourage gardeners to carefully scrutinize anecdotal claims and seek out science-based information before purchasing “miracle products”.

• karen (R.I.)
    6 years ago

Hi rina, I read the article, thank you. But I have so many pots to repot that I am going to try the B-1 fertilizer. I can use all the help for my plants I can get. I do not think it would harm them, so if it can help them I will take the chance. I did some more research to & found a site (got to start writing them down) from a man who makes, grows & sells bonsai trees along w/ succulents, gives classes & he uses it. His bonsai trees sell for $400.00 & up. Thank you for your input & concern. Karen

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I m not backing up must used this product. I have some seedlings of cactus and fat plants. Having transplant stress to my seedlings, usually weeks to recover. The dorstenia leaves will dried up. (That was before using b1).

Today after using B1 my new batch of dorstonia seeding grow better, more leaves and bigger plants than the previous batch.

Also did a research what is B1, there are alot or pro n cons. Some say is god send and others don't waste your money. But I also did research on Thai growers, they are excellent farmers.

They did very well on cacti , dorstenia, adenium, dyckia and many others. One of the fertilizer they used was B1 for transplants. Also read about plants hormones which not available here in Singapore. But easier to get in the west like USA.

Anyway I like to experiment to make my plants grow better. Well part of the hobby, making it more interesting.

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Update roots growth today.

More fines roots hairs.

• SoCal Stewart (San Diego, Ca Zone 10A/10B)
    6 years ago

Ycloh1, I'm afraid I've managed to damage a Crassula Buddhas Temple that I recently acquired. It was a cutting that had very small root nubs beginning when I got it. I potted it up and it was initially doing well but when I looked the other day, one side of it was dried out looking.

I think what may have happened is that even though it was on my table under the umbrella, as the seasons change from Summer to Fall, the sun's position in the sky is changing so that where once the sun was more overhead, it is now at more of an angle so the umbrella is offering less protection. The sun is hitting from the side. I think my Buddhas Temlle got direct sunlight at the peak time of the day and was burned.

Anyway, I unpotted it and there appear to be no living roots. Some of the fine roots that formed appear to be dead. Have you tried this water culture method on any Crassula? I'm not sure whether I should just clean it up of the apparently dead roots and remove some of the lower leaves and set aside to callous and form new roots or whether I should try this water culture method.

Thank you for any advice offered.

Tyler

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Tyler, I should say it will work. Firstly the cutting need to be healthy before trying out the water culture method. Suggest you try a few cutting if possible.