Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shanes43

Need help with kitchen cabinets choice!

Sharon Hanes
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I wanted to upgrade my 60's tile kitchen so I went with modern 'statement making' counter tops. The Alpine White granite turned out way more bold than I expected and now the traditional existing cabinets don't work. I want to change to a very simple white Euro flat panel design so as not to make the space more busy by adding more pattern and also compliment the counters. Before I spend more money I need to get some design help on the right choice for cabinets to compliment. Also, could I just go with refacing or is custom suggested? Hardware suggestions are also appreciated. Thanks everyone! I'm in a huge dilemma! (The back wall not shown contains built in ovens and fridge)

Comments (14)

• Colleen Stacey
    6 years ago

I think that if your walls and cabinets were either a white or grey from the countertops things would be more cohesive. If you really want to change your cabinets, refacing would most likley be your best option to avoid possible damage to the new countertops.

My only change would be pure white or grey cabinets as your kitchen is smaller.

Check out this one...

Transitional Modern Home - Hinsdale, IL · More Info

Sharon Hanes thanked Colleen Stacey
  • PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

The cabinets need to be whiter. You can paint, but you've got thermafoil doors so that's not the greatest way to go. Find yourself a cabinet maker and have him do doors and drawer fronts for the boxes. You'll spend some money but it will totally change the look.

Sharon Hanes thanked Carolina Kitchen & Bath
  • PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

And change the bracket on the peninsula, holding up the granite. Find someone who's done that before, it's not a do-it-yourself project. That granite needs to be properly supported.

Sharon Hanes thanked Carolina Kitchen & Bath
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

If your boxes are paintable, you can look at Barker Cabinets for door and drawer fronts-it may be less expensive than refacing. I think the granite could be stunning but I would keep everything as clean and monochromatic as possible, including getting rid of the red as suggested. IMO, tone on tone will be your friend here.

Sharon Hanes thanked katinparadise
  • acm
    6 years ago

I'm confused about why the cooktop would be below counter height...

• Sharon Hanes
    Original Author
    6 years ago

You all are wonderful and so helpful. Thank you so much for all the great suggestions! And I plan to get going on them. I was quite disturbed to see that the tighter pattern of the granite looked so mismatched on the backsplash. Expensive mistake on my part and now I'm tying to compensate. My husband likes it however, and he would drop over if I told him my misgivings. Oh boy!

• Sharon Hanes
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

acm: Yes, I know what you mean. That peninsula was dropped like that when we bought the house 5 years ago. At first I thought 'how funky' but have come to love the surprising convenience when cooking, and the ability to have normal height chairs instead of high ones.

• Joy
    6 years ago
    Well odd man out here. I liked it when you did the countertops and backsplash in the past and I like it now. To update further I would just replace the cabinet doors with slab doors, full overlay if possible.
    Sharon Hanes thanked Joy
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

I hope you'll let us know what direction you decide to take!

Sharon Hanes thanked katinparadise
  • functionthenlook
    6 years ago

I personally love the backsplash. It has personality and pizzazz. So refreshing compared to white on white on white. Yawn. I agree with changing the electric plates to white. Paint the ceiling white and the walls gray or white. I prefer light gray . I know the kitchen is cozy, but I would de-clutter a little bit more. Keep the red stools, the vase on the window sill, and the picture. The rest of the red I would tuck away. You just need a touch of red to make a statement. Red, black and white are classic. After that step back and then see how you like your present cabinets. if you still don't like them, change them.

Sharon Hanes thanked functionthenlook
  • Sharon Hanes
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Joy and katinparadise! Joy, I can't believe you remembered! You're a sweetheart. I'm setting up interviews as we speak with cabinet makers and will also paint the walls a bright white to match white cabinets. By slab doors I assume you mean the flat paneled euro style? Something like this?

Architecture · More Info

• Joy
    6 years ago
    Yep!
    Sharon Hanes thanked Joy
  • PRO
    Division 9 Contracting Company, LLC
    6 years ago

You can also install white or colored subway tile on the walls in lieu of painting them. We have done this in the past. Instead of all new cabinets, you can always just change the doors out to provide the look you want.

Sharon Hanes thanked Division 9 Contracting Company, LLC