Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erica_shadoin

Not enough kitchen island overhang!

Erica Shadoin
6 years ago
Well, I had our new kitchen island countertops installed today, and needless to say I am disappointed. I have a Arch shaped island and now looking at the installed countertop, I think it is too short for seating and it looks... small. At its deepest point in the middle the overhang is 15", however on the curved sides the overhang is only 9". This looks way too short to me and worse, I think it will be impractical for an adult to actually sit and reach the counter with enough legroom.

When the contractor measured for the countertops I asked for the max amount of overhang without needing additional support. He said this would be 16"... and I ended up with 15"... I guess after you factor in the 1" cabinet doors.

I am so disappointed. Love the countertop but after the amount of money I spent, I can't help but think this was a design mistake that should have been caught by my contractor or the countertop designer. Thoughts? Am I overreacting or should I tell my contractor I am unhappy with the end result? Not sure who should have to foot the bill to fix it if and when I do...

Comments (53)

• emwallace25
    6 years ago

Can you try three people sitting on the stools with the outer two angled in towards the middle stool? I measured myself sitting at my desk and the overhang needed is 11" and I am 5'9". With a slight angle on the outer chairs, you might be ok. Unfortunately, it sounds like he told you what the maximum overhang was without supports and you approved it. Also, if you hadn't done the arch design, you would have had 15" all around. I think this is one of those learning opportunities for the next remodel. I'm sorry it was such an expensive lesson to learn - we all have them and it's never fun!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

well, I suppose the GC could have pointed out that the middle spot would only get the largest overhang. If the max is 15" and you knew it was going to be curved , you had to know the ends were going to be short-changed,,,,right?

I'm actually questioning the arch shape. In a very, formal kitchen I could see this, but normally it's just square/rectangle. any reason you went w/this?

so what to do now? accept it, or get a new piece. Really isn't anything else to be done. try it out and see how it works w/eating.

• Melody Mulhall
    6 years ago
    What about adding another layer underneath of same countertop in same material but a squared off shape the size of overhang you want. You will be able to enjoy the curved look and a squared off underneath. Like directly underneath so it sits right below it and it will add another dimension. Otherwise you might have to eat it and get it the way you want it or it will haunt you every time you walk in the kitchen. Sorry to say but true
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    I don't understand why you picked an arch shape. It only makes sense that at the sides the overhang would be less.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

I agree this would have been better just as a rectangular overhang at 12”

• Erica Shadoin
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I didn't actually pick the Arch shape. And there were never any drawings that showed the countertop arched. The contractor laid the tape on the floor as an arch and I just went with that I guess. Stupid that I didn't really question it, but I didn't. I guess I'll have to deal with this.
  • altadavey
    6 years ago
    If you're going to use this space for actual eating, the two people on either end can angle themselves rather than sit head-on. It it's just for casual snacking/cocktails, it won't matter so much. It's a beautiful piece and, if you have to "eat" it, you will find a way to use it! I can see a buffet set out on it, or appetizers for a cocktail party, etc. Counter stools without backs might help. Good luck!
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    I find it strange that he decided the arch shape and didn't even ask you. That's bizarre. I suppose you could complain to him but ultimately you gave him the go-ahead. If it bothers you that much just go ahead and suck it up and replace it.
    But I would tell him you're not happy and anything else he has to finish needs to be reviewed by you.

That's not a typical shape and not very functional for a kitchen island, imo....
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Melissa I agree completely. I have never seen a contractor do an island in a curve without being told to do so. It's always done in the default square edged. Did he someone mistake a comment you made, perhaps? did you show him a pic of an island you liked and it was rounded? Have you asked him why he chose this shape? I'm curious to what he says.

• Erica Shadoin
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    My GC got his drawings from my cabinet supplier. The cabinet supplier provided drawings which show an arched shape island. I of course never saw those drawings... I just had the elevations. I guess my GC just assumed that's the way the island was designed, even though it was for rendering purposes only. I did not even purchase the countertops through the cabinet guy. I got them them through my GC.

I did eventually realize the island was planned as Arch shaped because my GC taped the floor to show how the island would hang. (You can kind of see what he did in the picture below). Stupidly, I did not really question it. I was there when the countertop supplier came out to measure and they asked me how big I wanted the overhang. I asked for the max without extra support needed, which he said was 16". (And at its max point it only ended up being 15" because of the 1" doors... something else no one really pointed out to me at the time). At that point, I should have (and did) realize that the nature of the arch meant that the ends would be more tapered, but I assumed (again, stupidly) that they would taper down only a few inches to maybe 11" or 12". I never realized it would be shaped in a way that tapers to only a couple of inches at the end of the counter (again, see attached). I also never saw a drawing depicting this.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure I can point to any one party and say it was their fault. I myself definitely should have paid closer attention to the finer details, but being a newbie at this I didn't think to even ask. It was always discussed that there would be counter stools on this side of the island so I just trusted the "experts", ya know?

I told my GC today that I'm not happy and with all off the money spent, I just don't think I can live with it. Needless to say, he is pretty unhappy with me. Not sure where that leaves us at this point. Just so depressed that it all went down this way. Oh, and I'm 36 weeks pregnant so emotions are running high. Damn this kitchen and the whole remodel!!! Ugh.
  • acm
    6 years ago

:((

remodels are exhausting even when 99% goes well, let alone when you're really disappointed with some major part. I'm so sorry that this happened.

I hope that you and the other parties involved can come up with some way to replace the top with something that can function the way you envisioned without breaking the bank or the relationships involved. good luck.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

sorry Erica. being pregnant during a big remodel? my hat is off to you. Well, no sense crying over spilled milk. The island and countertop is very nice. Can you live with it? only you know the answer. If it's not suitable to sit at, then just bite the bullet and redo the top. Perhaps you can point out the fact that you didn't know about this rendering and never knew the arch was going to be there. Yes, you should have spoken to him when the tape went down. maybe you can both agree to these miscommunications and meet half way? Perhaps there is another piece of this quartz at the fabricator that they can cut and reuse yours elsewhere? Prob not, but just throwing it out there. Talk to the GC, claim pregnancy brain, and see if he'll work with you.

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

i just looked at some photos of islands similar to yours. (type "curved island top in photos" in the search box above...) and you are not alone with this design, apparently, so its not surprising that the contractor wasn't surprised. a longer island gives you more spaces, some, as do supports. there really wasnt any way for this to turn out other than it did.

Spring Kitchen · More Info

you might say 'mea culpa' to your contractor and perhaps get a reduction on labor (but not materials) for a redo. find a photo of the exact shaped island you would like, so there is not mistaking again.

• Lisa McLeod
    6 years ago
    I actually think it's really beautiful, and gives a great style,to your kitchen.
  • jj610
    6 years ago

This is why I am not a fan of the arched overhang. People assume it will add space when in reality it actually ends up taking away from the overhang in most cases. The arch only really works when there are corbels or legs at the ends of the arch so the there is leg room from end to end. Its a crappy designed island top but technically there is nothing wrong with it so chances are they will not replace it for free. You will at the very least end up paying for a new piece of stone.

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    6 years ago
    If you decide this is not functional for you- fix it now. The arch shape is nice but will require extra support if you want it deeper, which could be hidden steel or an extra leg at both ends with an apron connecting them. Regardless make these changes asap while the counter and cabinet pieces if needed can still be ordered to match.

Yes this will cost you more, but many years of regret will be much worse.
  • Lisa Fouts
    6 years ago
    Hi, very stressful remodeling...but if you are willing to give up on the curve...hire a very good craftsman/woodworker. Choose a nice piece of wood, have it cut on one edge to match curve exactly, and the other edge to be finished to complete the rectangle. It will be tricky to attach but it can be done. Make sure you try it with a piece of heavy cardboard the shape, and close to color you want first. Stain it a color you will be happy with. Good Luck!
  • Lisa Fouts
    6 years ago
    Hi, here is a pic that shows a mixed material countertop.
  • kjoy1
    6 years ago

The overhang on my island is 9"...it functions just fine:) Don't fret over this. Your island looks beautiful and your kitchen will be stunning once it is done.

• suezbell
    6 years ago

Nice kitchen. Like the contrast color of the island rather than all white like the cabinets.

Perhaps you could ask your contractor to cut off the arc -- even all the way back to the wood of the island (or nearly that if you want to rest a vertical piece on the island countertop) and then you could add a totally separate bar in that space that is the width and height you need -- even use the same or a different materials for the bar top and sides:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/3c/1f/88/3c1f889ad87c6a382a2f6c6021140eee.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/1b/79/93/1b7993d4b4d6312a32a08163ff5851b1.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/3e/38/c0/3e38c0140e4e5aec1e1fb6db208b8d9a--island-kitchen-kitchen-bars.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/62/47/7b/62477bcdae4aecb59c04e40e3927b9d4.jpg

You could save the part cut off and use it to create a shelf elsewhere in the kitchen.

• millworkman
    6 years ago

"When the contractor measured for the countertops I asked for the max amount of overhang without needing additional support. He said this would be 16"... and I ended up with 15"

What type of material is that top? This may be entirely incorrect info based on the answer to my first question..................

• Erica Shadoin
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    It's quartz
  • User
    6 years ago

will u be using it to actually eat meals or do u have a kitchen table? If u just want it for people to hang out n have a drink while ur cooking, then leave it.

Its a pretty addition to the kitchen and it's a big expense to redo it.

I know how u feel, u think a contractor will tell u if something might be a problem - but they all don't. I had bath tile floor put in n our guy didn't even bother to take off the woodwork along the floor, (yet he did for the other bathroom - so I assumed he would do it). It just looks little n stupid. :(

ill never use that guy again.

• babs0507
    6 years ago

I live in a condo so space is at a premium. My counter overhang is only 9 inches and it has not been an issue. I find that most people angle the stools in order to chat with others at the counter. Enjoy your beautiful new kitchen!

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    6 years ago

Erica, they should have started the radius from the corners instead of making a 4" depression over the corner pilasters + overhand you lost almost 10" of countertop from the seating area, and that would give a more comfortable seating at the ends on a small island like this.

That being said you would be better off with a rectangular 10-12" overhang.

• greenfish1234
    6 years ago
    Your island looks great and you will adjust. This was not your contractors fault. The standard tiny rectangle is in every kitchen. Yours is more unusual in a good way. I have a huge curved island, still only seats 4, but with a family of 5? It NEVER has more than 2 at it. We eat dinner at the table, the island is more for one or 2 people to hang out with the chef. And as mentioned before a fantastic buffet at parties. Even as a rectangle 3 would be tight-you would get more overhang but less linear footage. I know how stressful it is to do a project and have things not turn out how you wish, compound that with pregnancy. Take a deep breath, enjoy your beautiful kitchen.
  • greenfish1234
    6 years ago
    Also. It sounds like your main customers for years to come will not need more than a few inches of overhang! 3 or even 4 little ones will fit quite comfortably at that counter :)
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    You have a beautiful kitchen and I would leave it. I think once you are done and get everything else in place it will be fine. I actually think it's nice.
    You're just probably over-stressed with all that you have going on right now.
    But still make sure they run all future installations by you before they do them, for sure.
  • PRO
    SJS Interiors
    6 years ago
    The contractor probably took it personally which is why he is unhappy. You could try having another conversation with him but I feel you should carry the cost of redoing but maybe he might be willing to work with you on that. Also, your initial reaction might not be how you will feel later. Change is good but does take some adjustment.
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

I cut this bar down. The depth of the the lower top, at about 9", was dictated by what was left over. She was delighted when I left, but called me later to tell me it wasn't deep enough. If she wants perfect color match, I'll have to pull the splash.

• kjoy1
    6 years ago
    Maybe just use this as an excuse to get new bar stools:) One with a back...safer for kids...and that can swivel...so it is easier to angle into the island. We can help you pick them out;)
  • Erica Shadoin
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Kjoy1 - Those are my new bar stools!! Lol

I picked them because I knew I wouldn't have much overhang even at the 16" and I wanted them to fit underneath the counter. So much for that!!
  • kjoy1
    6 years ago
    Poop!
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    6 years ago

Off Topic... Looking at the picture where guys having lunch, I never saw a cabinet installer who would install lower cabinets first.

Doing it that way makes the job much harder to install uppers, especially when you doing build-up and running crown, not to mention that you stand further back and leaning over base cabinets, taking a chance to scuff or scratch the cabinet finish of lower cabinets; being this a belt buckle, tool belt, or anything else.

This is also a safety concern when working off the ladder because you're leaning over to fasten the cabinet, making an adjustment, installing crown, etc... you don't have a good balance being in that position.

Just a tip for DIYs and installers.

• auntthelma
    6 years ago

Honestly, it is a non issue. The kitchen is beautiful. The island is beautiful. I am making an assumption that the island is not your primary dining space. The overhand doesn't have to be a full 15" for someone to enjoy a drink or cereal or lunch.

Breathe. It's perfect.

(Anecdote: We had a tiny kitchen and I wanted a breakfast bar. We put a 12" wide piece of oak along the half wall. The overhang was maybe 8 inches. It wasn't 'standard', but we often had cocktails or coffee there. And when the dining table was overcrowded, we made do and had dinner there. See the right side of this picture. Also, the short stool was just by the counter. No overhang. Kids used it all the time.)

• Erica Shadoin
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I do have a dining room table, although we eat casually at the island quite a bit. I know it isn't the end of the world, just visually and practically speaking it wasn't what I had planned.

These are first world problems for sure. It's just after spending THOUSANDS on the reno I am having a hard time with it. Meeting with my contractor again today to discuss. Maybe I can get over it and just enjoy the kitchen. MAYBE.
  • Jay Walsh
    6 years ago

@Erica Shadoin

What are the dimensions of your island?

• Erica Shadoin
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Jay Walsh - the cabinet base is 34.5" x 80"
  • auntthelma
    6 years ago

Erica, I understand being disappointed because it is not what you expected. (It has happened to me more than once.) I hope I didn't sound harsh above.

But I step back, understand it is done and go look at it with fresh eyes. Your island really is pretty. :)

• greenfish1234
    6 years ago
    Honestly,I wasn't going to say anything but Kjoy did...the uncomfortable-ness of those stools will limit anyone's desire to stay for long!! I went through a number of stools before I landed on the perfect combination. I was certain that I wanted stools the height of my counter, so that there would be a smooth plane on interrupted, a perfect view of my beautiful counter. There is absolutely nothing worse than a stool that hit to just below the middle of your back. I gave up on that quickly, and went with a fallback stool. I couldn't be happier. Some of the things we worry about and fuss over and lose sleep about during projects like this really end up being being meaningless in the end: perfect view of counter, perfect overhang. I promise you once you give it some time you never think of it again. It's ugly things that drive me nuts forever. Lucky for you, the counter is more beautiful this way then it would be in a rectangle. Can you bring the chairs back?
  • er612
    6 years ago

Can you return the barstools? They look really deep. Shallower stools might help. If you can return the stools, do so and wait for the space to be finished. You can look for stools once the baby is here.

• kjensen11
    6 years ago

I feel your pain! I love that countertop though, can you tell me the name of it?

• shivece
    6 years ago
    I am sitting at our island with 12" overhang and my legs aren't more than 4-5" under the edge. I sit like this all the time. iPad, breakfast, lunch. I don't like my stomach right up to the edge. The other side has a 9.5 inch overhang and no one sitting there has ever complained or looked uncomfortable. If you haven't actually tried it yet, go get some takeout and have a seat.
  • millworkman
    6 years ago

"If you haven't actually tried it yet, go get some takeout and have a seat."

Hopefully they have tried it out by now as a year is fast apporoaching................

• CEM TOSA
    6 years ago

following

• Erica Shadoin
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @ kjensen11 - The countertops are quartz by Aurea Stone (color Divine) and I LOVE them. Our kitchen has been done for about 4 months now and I have just become used to the smaller overhang. It really does not bother me at all. Thankfully! I love the way everything turned out!
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    Wow, so pretty! Glad it all worked out!
  • CEM TOSA
    6 years ago

Very nice. Glad you love it!

• kjoy1
    6 years ago

It looks great! I hope you and your new baby are doing great as well:)