Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theresa_clementi

Back Yard- Landscaping and Using Patio Area More

Theresa Doan
6 years ago

This is a two part question.

1) It might be hard to tell from this picture but where the grass looks yellow, it's actually not grassy towards the back of the yard. Any ideas why or how to fix it? Is there other landscaping we should do? We have a puppy who likes to dig FYI

2) How can we better utilize this patio area? Is there a way to cover up the cracks/discoloration in the pavement (maybe a huge heavy duty rug?)

Thank you in advance!

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

IMO the patio is way too small to do much , maybe a BBQ and a nice table for outdoor eating.An outdoor rug under the table and maybe a matching mat by the door to cover the cracks . I would just rip it up and install a much larger patio properly laid to avoid cracking next time.The grass is not happy there so maybe look at more plantings in beds and not so much grass, nice big space right now just blah, could be awesome. Maybe puppy needs a dog run

• Theresa Doan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I agree Patricia! Thank you, we definitely want a grill and an outdoor table maybe with an umbrella. My mom had suggested a retractable awning but that might be too expensive and not worth it since it's a small space. I like the idea of ripping it out and getting a larger one installed. Any idea of the cost range on that?

We will look into plantings on beds!

Thanks again!

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    6 years ago

There's probably no grass under the trees because the trees are taking all the sun and water. They look like large, established trees so their need for water is high. You will have a hard time growing anything there unless you plant something shade loving and you water heavily.

I agree that your patio is too small and too sunny. Could you have an addition poured? Research 'concrete acid stain' to fix what's there. Also research pergola. A pergola would give you some shade. Do you need privacy too? I would plant some small ornamental trees nearby.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    6 years ago

Here's a cute pergola built over a concrete pad like yours.

• Theresa Doan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ah that makes sense about the large trees using the water. Maybe I will try an above ground planter with plants that like shade and water them a lot.

I'll research pergola and concrete acid stain! Appreciate your suggestions!

• Theresa Doan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow! Lots of info pinkmountain, thanks so much! I'll look into those plants and I like how you suggested thinking about it first and building in stages.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    6 years ago

I don't think the patio is too small for many uses, but one deficiency is that there is nowhere to store a grill outside of the window view or partially blocking a window. Wish the patio extended around the corner of house where there seems to be plenty of blank walls.

There are a number of high quality, durable concrete coatings (not "paint") that could dress up the concrete so long as it is sound. The picture is too blurry to tell.

Insofar as getting advice on general landscaping of the back yard, you need photos that show the complete span. If you were to stand at center of back of house and photograph everything from left to right without moving the camera position, taking slightly overlapping photos, we'd have a lot better idea of what you are working with now. Take the photos with a better camera as these pictures are too small and blurry. Also show a better picture of the patio floor.