Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nuhouse10

Color help - Large room, low natural light, brick fireplace

nuhouse10
6 years ago

Looking for color suggestions for this room. It's in a 1890s home but this portion was built in the 1980s. We primed it white and now we are stuck.

Features:

• Brick fireplace (close up of brick/mortar below). Do not want to paint.
  • Black and White Vinyl tile: Do not like it but saving for wood flooring
  • Stained Glass in Door
  • Bay Window (on left)
  • Leads into kitchen
  • Windows on left face West - Windows at far end of room face North.
  • Surrounded by trees - little light. This photo was taken on a very sunny day in the winter when there were no leaves on trees. In summer, it's much darker.

What we have tried:

• Bought house and it was painted bright yellow. Yuck
  • grays - light grays seem too dingy or cold (ie: sw repose gray), darker grays just look blah (ie: rockport way too dark, sw mindful just 'eh', sw requisite too brown and looked dark)
  • Off white walls looked dingy

Our goal is warm, cozy, relaxing but not modern/contemportary. Out the back window is a woods and mountain. The house was sold as a "folk victorian farmhouse". It might have looks farmhouse-y at one point and we wouldn't mind it again but they decorated in the 1990s and never did again until we purchased the home. We are trying to restore it to a more farmhouse/country/rustic feel. Our ideal would be wide plank floors and beams in this room...but that is for the future. It's currently a "tool room" as we work to re-do the rest of the house of this fixer-upper but want it to be more than just a place to store the tools. It's off the kitchen and has access to the main bathroom and a porch door and a patio door. We go through the room often, so it needs to be "usable".

Any suggestions? My husband thinks deep jewel tones or a deep blue-green might work to make it cozy and comfy. I wouldn't mind but I think that would be too dark. I tried all these lighter colors and they just make the fire place look so "blah".

Comments (9)

• Cara Lewis-Watts
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

What about a very soft greyish green color to compliment the lovely red brick of the fireplace? Thinking something like Sea Salt.

I'd ditch the black rugs and bring in some pattern with a traditional rug, reflecting the brick colors and the pale greens.

Fabulous over your new hardwood!

• Cara Lewis-Watts
    6 years ago

ALso- is there a coffee table, and is the couch turned that way to face a TV? I don't love the placement. You at least need another accent chair for a cozier inviting feel and ease of conversation. The current one is pretty lost.

Finally, I don't love the fan. I think a semi-flush mount would be better.

• nuhouse10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Cara Lewis-Watts I love how you think! I was just reading a bit more about west/north lighting and thought Sea Salt might work. I had it for a different room and it was so washed out - but that room had a lot of natural light. I had just added Sea Salt to my list when I saw your notification! I would love it that worked - it would soften everything. I tried a few greens but they all seem so "yellow-green" and harsh. I tried BM Soft Fern (which we had some extra from painting a small office upstairs). It didn't look great with the brick. The one right above it on the color chip, I think it's BM Silken Pine was way too light and didn't look good at all by the brick. I love the idea of Sea Salt and I hope it works! Thanks for the suggestion!

As for the room, we are only using it as a utility room at the moment and haven't set it up at all! I probably should have explained that better in the post. The black rug was only to cover the black and white floor temp and help our dog who has a bad knee so he didn't slip. They were on super sale at HD and are "utility rugs" - we needed something quick and efficient. Definitely not staying! We just had so many other projects we were spreading ourselves thin (the joys of a fixer upper). There is no tv on that side of the room - Bathroom door, open doorway to a closet/office and the door to the patio. This room has a lot going on - that wall alone has only about 4' of wall before there's another doorway. Oh, and w are def going to do a flush mount for the new fan too! The previous owner said the fan is from 1985 and we want it gone. Again, just triaging the repairs. I don't know if you can see it in the pictures but there's also some hideous track lighting aobve the fireplace. We are going to fix that too maybe a hanging lamp of some kind. Haven't through too far. Just trying to figure out paint before we decorate (backwards I know). The couch is covered in a canvas drop cloth and we will probably not keep it.

Thanks for your suggestions. They are so helpful!

• Cara Lewis-Watts
    6 years ago

Oh good- hope it works out! I wonder how the couch would look facing the fireplace? Since that will be the obvious focal point of the room.

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago

I have a north facing room and sampled BM Healing Aloe, Quiet Moments, etc.

However, in the end I went with BM Windham Cream. Also liked Lancaster Wash, Philadelphia Cream.

I also suggest to look at www.KylieMinteriors.com for her paint suggestions.

nuhouse10 thanked nosoccermom
  • nuhouse10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, Cara Lewis-watts! I hope it works out too! We have thought about facing the couch towards the fireplace and maybe adding a comfy chair in the corner by the window (if it's not too crowded) so we can hang and read/relax over there. It leaves a lot of empty space to the front of the room but I know we could make it work. First, we have to paint the kitchen...and that all revolves around this color. I'll keep everyone posted!

• nuhouse10
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, nosoccermom! I wrote all of the paint names down. I have actually considered Quiet Moments but worry it will look too "dingy" since the light is so spotchy. I will check out your suggestions!

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago

I was determined to pick a blue-gray-green, and "definitely not yellow". However, in the end, the cream/very pale yellow "won". I have another north facing room in SW Creamy and just love it. Other favorite is BM Capital or Capitol White.

Also, have you tried warm light bulbs?