Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helsharmar

Wallpaper sources: more questions

helsharmar
6 years ago

I got a lot of helpful answers when I asked about local wallpaper stores, but I quickly found paging through books to be overwhelming. Looking online turned out to be easier.

Now I've narrowed my choices down and want to get some samples. I'm favoring papers made in the UK, and I'm not sure of the best way to order samples now and, eventually, the paper. In particular, I'm considering a Cole & Sons paper (Savuti) and a House of Hackney floral (Artemis). I think both offer samples directly, but has anyone ordered those to send to the US? How feasible is that? And when I want to buy my choice, would it be better to order from the UK or a domestic online source? Lee Jofa seems to be the only authorized US "stockist," but they may sell only to the trade.

I know nothing about the various online stores that pop up. Are some more reliable than others?

Comments (7)

• Lars
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I found that I also preferred wallpaper from UK, but I found it locally. The paper I bought (for my mother's bathroom) had a textured bamboo pattern on it (all silvery gray) that looked different when viewed from different angles. It would have been very difficult to tell what it looked it on a computer screen, and even photographs of it are very different from how it looked in person.

If you do decide to buy online, make sure that you do get to see samples before you place an order. I think everything will look different in person, even if it does not have a textured design.

helsharmar thanked Lars
  • aprilneverends
    6 years ago

not much of help..but I know that Anthropologie has Artemis in two colorways currently..you can order a sample from them

there's only one review on it right now but a very positive one

https://www.anthropologie.com/shop/artemis-wallpaper?category=wallpaper&color=011&quantity=1&size=One%20Size&type=REGULAR

helsharmar thanked aprilneverends
  • l pinkmountain
    6 years ago

Completely OT, but I had to laugh at your link April. Some of the old wallpaper styles from my youth! I predict they will be the next big thing after everyone is bored to tears with 50 shades of grey. It's about time for them to make the rounds again.

• helsharmar
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wallpaper direct has both brands I'm looking at. Does anyone have any experience with them? I found one, not very good, review on Houzz.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

pinkmountain but they were never out of style)) not really..

they're very much in style for at least several years now(since I started reading books and magazines on design and decor lol), and I bet designers always used them in high end homes

they weren't mainstream maybe..but I'd say very very popular now. they're already the big thing

since I collect them..virtually..lol..I know..there's more and more online resources with more and more choices,,more designers creating new lines..more stores carrying classics like William Morris..actually all the rage, not only in wallpaper..I felt in love the first time I saw the designs. No wonder others did too-the moment it got more exposure. Hard to want something if you never saw it. You see it-you love it-you're hooked..

(I also grew with wallpaper..at least part of my childhood. I loved it then, love it now

depends on the house of course..

and the budget..

and the DIY skills probably too. mine are non-existant..

• Sammy
    6 years ago

I wouldn't hesitate to order from Decorators Best. Here's a link to the Cole & Son paper: Cole & Son "Savuti"

helsharmar thanked Sammy