Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
budzw

Master bath double vanity - Storage tower or One large mirror

budsw
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello everyone, We are building a spec home and this is the vanity the builder installed.. its too late to change the design or the wiring for the lights.

I already had nice advice from you all in a separate discussion as to where to put lights above the mirror. The mirror the builder is going to install is a one large mirror covering the whole wall.

One thing I am worried about is the amount of storage in the vanity for things like linen and medicine and other usual bathroom stuff. I hate cluttered counter tops and I can see the counter here going to be filled with creams and tooth brushes and etc in the future.. With the layout of the bathroom there is no space to put a standing storage unless we put it in the master closet which is on the right side of the vanity. So I want to add something similar to a tower storage like shown below for more storage.

Farmhouse Reinterpreted · More Info

Or something like this with mirrors on the tower doors.

Hamptons Historic Residence · More Info

To visualize things, I took some poster frames and placed them on top of the painted vanity and tried to see how things will look like if we add 2 mirrors instead of a one large one. Here is a picture I took of the vanity with the poster frames.

The sink areas are 24.5 inches wide and will have 1 light mounted above the mirror. centered on sinks. Can't add sconces unfortunately. Too late for wiring.

The makeup area is 44 inches long and will have 3 lights mounted above.

The two poster frames above the sinks are 24x36

Middle poster frame is 22.x34

I thought it will look nicer if we get taller mirrors (ceilings are 9 foot high). Maybe we can add two simple storage towers between the mirrors or use a storage cabinet with mirrored doors as in the previous houzz picture. But my husband thinks it is better to have the large mirror for the master bathroom. He thinks two mirrors are two small and is not suitable for a master bathroom. My thought is adding more storage is important to a bathroom and the two/three mirrors add a nice touch.

We both are not experts so please let us know you think about this dilemma. I know storage is a personal preference but design-wise and based on your experiences, for a master vanity is it better to go with a big mirror or use two mirrors and a storage tower? Sorry for the lengthy post. Just wanted to add all the details. Thanks so much in advance!

Comments (23)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

ONE mirror. Don't duplicate your posts either, which you did. And definite no to three mirrors..

What is the look you want? Because you are late in the process : )

• budsw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Denita! Yes I prefer to have clean counters. I hope we can get that look!

Hi JAN MOYER, I am sorry but I thought it was better to start another discussion about the mirror instead of using the discussion about the lights.. You all definitely help me decide on the lights so I thought that was a closed discussion.

We like the transitional look. I'd say more contemporary than traditional. But if I use one mirror, how do I address the storage issue? I thought 3 mirrors with the middle one having storage would give us both what we want,storage and a big mirror. : )

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

you can't add "2 simple storage towers" and have a 3rd mirror over the vanity! what on earth are you going to place in these narrow storage towers? just because they are, say, 10" across on the outside, doesn't mean you're going to get that on the inside. subtract 1 1/2 to 2" for the inner dimensions.

If you want a middle storage tower, then you will have to forgo the mirror. you can't have both.

why wasn't storage thought of before this was almost done? that's usually the first thing one considers when redoing a bathroom.

You could always do some glass shelving and put your little lotions and such on those.

here is a large wall of mirror that they've trimmed out. you might be able to do this w/yours.

as for the sconces, whats the big deal about going back in the wall to do the wiring? It's going to be covered by a mirror either way. just do a quick patch on the drywall. It won't have to be perfectly patched or textured if you're covering it.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

Your lavatory cabinets are not nearly as large (or have the drawer storage units) shown in the "something like this" photo! And your center vanity counter and cabinet look to be twice as wide as the "like this photo".

And where will your lighting and controls be located which can't be changed?

Have you talked to your architect or designer?

• User
    6 years ago

I must be in the minority, but I hate those "storage towers." They look like something that was "forgotten" during the build and then added later.

We live a very minimalist lifestyle, and share one vanity about the size of one of your sink bases, plus a small medicine cabinet with mirror. Nothing is left on the vanity top other than our toothbrushes in their chargers and a soap dispenser.

Is it possible you have too much "stuff" that you don't really need? Meds really shouldn't be kept in a bathroom due to heat/humidity...

• budsw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Dear Beth H. Thanks for your suggestions. Actually this is not a remodel. This is a spec home being built by a builder so we did not have the luxury of choosing the cabinet styles before we joined in near the last phase. That is why I said we can't change the vanity design. The builder is reluctant to redo the wiring at this stage because he has to meet deadlines but I am happy with having the lights above the mirror. Its not an issue for me. I am just concerned about the vanity storage. Thanks for pointing out the disadvantage of using two towers. I like the second picture you shared. It has a mirror and shelving. Simple but effective I guess. Thanks!

Hi Virgil Carter Fine Art , this is a spec home built by a builder so we don't work with a designer or an architect. I understand the dimensions of my vanity is different from the pictures I shared but I was hoping I can use the basic design. Yes the makeup area is twice as big as the sink area. But I was hoping I can do something similar. Maybe it will look ugly and dysfunctional. That is why I am here asking for advice from experts like you. The lighting is going to be placed above the mirrors two centered above the sinks and one centered above the makeup area. The builder said at this point he is reluctant to change the wiring because it can cause delays. I am just trying to work with what I have right now to get the extra storage. Thanks for your comment!

• budsw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks imstillchloecat for your comment! I wish we all could live a minimalist lifestyle like you do.. I admit I use lot of prescription and normal creams so they do take up counter space. But I don't use that much makeup so honestly I hate the large makeup area in the vanity that is there right now. I wish the builder thought more of cupboard storage than the makeup area. But this is what we have so we'll deal with it for now.

• User
    6 years ago

So what are you planning to put in the drawers? They can hold a LOT of creams/makeup. You can subdivide the large sink bases to hold linens, extra toilet paper, cleaning supplies, extra toiletries. What, exactly (and how much of whatever it is) do you actually need storage space FOR?

• User
    6 years ago

Under our sink, we have one elevated shelf that holds toilet paper and linens. Under that we have two large baskets (one each) with our own "stuff" - like extra shampoo, body wash, razor blades, etc., plus all my rarely used stuff like a hair dryer, waxing pot, nail polish/remover, different hair styling products, hair ties, etc. Between the baskets, we store small trash bags for the garbage can, extra light bulbs, and cleaning supplies.

The medicine cabinet contains daily use stuff - deodorant, toothpaste, q-tips, razors, shaving cream, combs/brushes, hair styling stuff, and my makeup. My hair straightener hangs on a hook on the wall.

You could always add two medicine cabinets; one on each side wall...

• chicagoans
    6 years ago

"But I don't use that much makeup so honestly I hate the large makeup area in the vanity that is there right now." It doesn't sound like you'll use the middle area as a vanity to sit and do your makeup. If that's the case, I'd tell the builder to make the whole center area into two stacks of drawers (replacing the narrow stack that's there as well as the empty space.) Yes it will likely cost some money, but cheaper now then later. Why let him build something that you say you hate?

If you will use that area to sit and use as a vanity, then you'll need a mirror there. In that case, maybe you could have a shallow cabinet with a mirrored door. I don't see another way to get mirror + more storage.

• User
    6 years ago

If you can't change the vanity, it's too late to change anything else either. Either put the brakes on pay for a massive change order, or acccrpt that it is what it is.

• gthigpen
    6 years ago

^^^ - Agree, get the builder to change that vanity to a stack of drawers. It shouldn't be that much more honestly. If you won't use that vanity, it will be wasted space and that 'clutter' on your countertop will drive you crazy. I'm the same way in that I hate bathroom counter clutter. In our current build, I was thoughtful about the way our vanity was designed as well as how to utilize our linen closet better. I actually had an outlet wired to the back of one of our drawers so my hairdryer and hair straightener can permanently sit in those drawers. They will never be on my counters again!

I also think 2 mirrors will look fine (we are doing two mirrors) and if you wanted to put a storage tower, it looks like you've got room.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

"...It shouldn't be that much more honestly..."

The last words before financial disaster.

• User
    6 years ago

But, I don't see how this even passed inspection as it is. 24" vanities crammed up against the walls should not pass. It does not give you the required 15" center drain distance to any obstruction. Maybe you could use that to force the builder into doing some changes.

But there are other issues too. Texas? Or somewhere close? It's the only place left that still wants bugs and dust in their cabinet finishes. Or let's a house painter touch cabinetry.

• housequester
    6 years ago

I have a storage tower because there wasn't room for very many drawers and things inside the walls precluded medicine cabinets. It is only 8 inches deep, and I really like it. Our last home had plenty of drawers and a huge, deep cupboard, and it was just difficult to dig around and find things. Standing storage is far more useable.

One regret is that we considered having a drawer at the bottom of the tower but didn't due to cost. I wish we would have. As it is, when we open the door, there is about a half inch of clearance on the counter. If I put nearly anything there while getting ready, the door hits it. So I take off my glasses to do my hair, go to open the door to get hairspray, and have to move the glasses first or the door will hit them. It's pretty annoying.

Construction · More Info

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

In general, it takes a really large bathroom to pull off a tower successfully. As in, the vanity sections are at least 48" each, and the tower at least 24". Yes, it can be done with smaller vanity sections, but the proportions are never as good, and it will always look off. I've done as small as 2 30" vanities with a 15" tower, but that was the homeowner's specific request, not my suggestion. I'd personally rather do a separate linen cabinet between two vanities than a tower on the counter.

• housequester
    6 years ago

Wow! No need to hold back, Imstillchloecat. It was the best solution for us, so we went with it, and frankly, I like it, far better than I liked rummaging around in drawers to find things.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

bathroom storage ideas · More Info
    Wish you would have done a lower part of your tower with these hydraulic hinges like we did with this counter tower. It is so easy to use and it just glides up and out of the way. My client's who have done this love it!

• DH
    6 years ago

I don't think a tower will work in your space, for the simple fact that in every single example, the space has been very symmetrical. You have an asymmetrical space with the offset drawers and vanity there. If there's no way to change out the vanity for a set of drawers or another base cabinet, go with the original plan. There are a lot of options for under the desk storage, so you may be able to add something like that under the vanity since you don't plan to use it anyway.

• acm
    6 years ago

You could do the tower and then replace simple mirrors with two recessed medicine cabinets, which take most of the everyday stuff, leaving the drawers to organize less-used items, medicines, and all the rest.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

OK...time to say it...the base lavatory cabinets are too narrow; the center make-up cabinet is too wide. As long as these cabinets stay in place a center "tower" cabinet simply won't work. With these cabinets it's simply impossible to achieve any of the designs of the truly attractive photos posted above.

So what's to do? Either replace the lower cabinets to match the photos or leave everything thing and use a large single piece mirror which was obviously the original design. Solve the storage issue in other ways, in other places. :-)

• budsw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello everyone I am so sorry for the late response. My little one got sick ..

Thanks for all of your suggestions and comments! I truly appreciate them!

I understand that what I would like to have is not going to fit in the current vanity layout we have right now. There is no time for us to change the layout now. They have started installing granite and we want them to meet the deadline to finish the house or we will be left without a place to stay! So we have decided to go with the single mirror for now. There is no point now in worrying over not having extra storage that we may or may not need in the vanity in the future. If after living in the house for couple of months we feel like we need extra vanity storage, I will add extra storage under the makeup area or in the master closet. But I will for sure replace this vanity sometime in the future with a more useful one :)

Sophie Wheeler we live in Northern Louisiana. I looked up the guidelines you are talking about. I wish we knew about these before. But are they firm rules or just guidelines? The builder already sold a house with a similar layout last year so I am assuming he had the same vanity there and it passed inspection. I do not know for sure but why would anyone build something knowing it will fail inspection? :/