Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asdittenbat112

Haworthia seeds?

AS _NJ ZONE 6B
6 years ago

This must be a very dumb question but are these seed pods? Or something else? My haworthia are flowering all of the time but always just flowers, I've never seen anything like this. If so, how to collect them? Should I remove them from the stalk now?

Comments (9)

• mesembs
    6 years ago

That is a pod. You want to wait until it ripens before you collect the seeds. It will turn brown, then split open. You probably want to wrap the pod in something to catch the seeds. Maybe loosely wrap a reasonably sized piece of clear tape around it (with the sticky pointed inward toward the pod) so that the sticky part catches the seeds as they fall out.

• AS _NJ ZONE 6B
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yahoo! Thanks both of you for the help. I don't have any straws so I might try the tape. Just need to make sure I have a steady hand so I don't accidentally knock any off the stalk.

Bikerdoc by pumice fines do you mean the excess "dust" basically that comes out when you sift pumice? Or is the "dust" even too fine? Because when I sift mine I have a lot of it going to waste for that reason so that would be neat to be able to use it for something.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    6 years ago

This is pumice fines

I also usenfinds of other additive I use from my gritty mix; turface, diatomite etc

If you are straining out that much fines and dust, you might want to change your source for pumice. For bang for buck, General Pumice Products has about the best pricing for the best product out there.

• AS _NJ ZONE 6B
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok got it, so not dust like I was thinking.

Thank you for the suggestion but I actually do buy from them. :). Maybe it's just the last bag I got but it was a very, very dusty bag. Just got a new box in the mail though so hopefully won't have the same problem.

• AS _NJ ZONE 6B
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sigh. I am too nervous to do the tape. I'm so nervous I'm going to ruin the pods. Maybe I will just bring the plant inside for the time being so I can have more control if they open/fall while I'm at work or something. Does anyone know ABOUT how long for the pods to open once they are formed? I was going to bring in my plants in the next 3 weeks probably anyways.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I just brought home a straw from going out for dinner. It could take several weeks for the pod to begin to open

• mesembs
    6 years ago

Instead of tape you could also plastic wrap or something to make a bubble around the whole stalk (or maybe just the part with the pod) in hopes of catching any runaway seed.

• AS _NJ ZONE 6B
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have been so busy I forgot about this one and yesterday when moving all my plants I noticed the pods had opened! In my excitement I accidentally let some spill on the floor but I managed to get 9 seeds! Plus there are 5 more pods that have not yet opened! Woohoo!!!