Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cpartist

Color Placement for Stained Glass Windows

cpartist
6 years ago

I'm doing 3 stained glass 20" x 20" windows in both the bedroom and in DH's study and I'm curious as to which you prefer in terms of color placement only. The actual colors will be close but will also need to be determined by the glass available and how the light shines through them.

Study First

Here is how the three windows will look together. This is for design only.

This is the fabric that is going on DH's cushion on his bench underneath the windows. (And yes while it's hard to see in the pic, there is teal in the fabric.)

Here are seven different versions for color placement. I've only included the center panel and not the side panels. Which letter do you prefer?

So next on the list is our master bedroom suite. These windows will be above our bed within a niche. Again this is to show the window placement.

Here are the five different versions for color placement. Again, I've only included the center panel and not the side panels. Which number do you prefer?

Comments (39)

• mark1993
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I think they all look good so it’s difficult to choose. Study E or F. Master 3, 4, or 5.

cpartist thanked mark1993
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Mark, you're no help. LOL

• mojomom
    6 years ago

Study: C would be my first choice, with B a close second.

Master: 3 first choice, 5 another close second.

But they all look great.

cpartist thanked mojomom
  • dsnine
    6 years ago

On the study, b or f feel the most balanced to me. On a knee jerk my eye gravitated toward both of those.

For the master I like 1 the best :)

• jimpats
    6 years ago

Study C and Master 3, cooler colors to compliment warmer color fabric especially in study.

cpartist thanked jimpats
  • DLM2000-GW
    6 years ago

wait a minute - didn't I respond to this?

cpartist thanked DLM2000-GW
  • rdy2retire
    6 years ago

The ones that first caught my eye were - Study - B, master - 5. Good luck with this fun project!

cpartist thanked rdy2retire
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    6 years ago

wait a minute - didn't I respond to this?

Um yes. I deleted the original thread to add two more versions of the study one. The last two with the teal color in the centers of the trees.

Now which two DLM?

• User
    6 years ago

Study: D - there's too much blue in the others, and the fabric doesn't appear to have any/much blue at all. (Even though you say it's there, I don't see it as a strong color in the design.)

Bedroom: I can't offer an opinion because I don't know what color your room is painted, what you're planning for linens, etc.

cpartist thanked User
  • DLM2000-GW
    6 years ago

ok

Study - D or E depending on what you find for specific glass

Bedroom - 1 or 2, same reason.

Can you tell I'm trying to minimize the blues? YMMV Also, I'm personally drawn more to stained glass where the focus is on the design rather than the color pop. I'm so sorry I had to use that word.

cpartist thanked DLM2000-GW
  • chicagoans
    6 years ago

Study: I like F or B best (and B C E F better than A D G.)

BR: 5 (because I really like the light blue-green color that predominates the background)

But honestly I'd be delighted with any of the versions. So pretty!

cpartist thanked chicagoans
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all so far.

Chloecat, my bedroom is painted with BM Fernwood Green walls and the ceiling is SW Believable Buff. All trim in the house is BM Cotton Balls.

• Summye
    6 years ago

Fun idea.

Study: B or C

Master: 1

cpartist thanked Summye
  • just_janni
    6 years ago

Study - F I think this is light enough, but highlights the teal in the "flower" portion.

Master - 3. I lean blue, so more blue works for me. And liked the framing in blue

I honestly can't easily describe the "why" - they just felt right, that's all.

They are going to be lovely!

cpartist thanked just_janni
  • sis33
    6 years ago

Study C and Master 4. I think they all look good but to my eye those two are the loveliest. My eye is not educated like yours though, CP.

cpartist thanked sis33
  • nhbaskets
    6 years ago

Study - E. I think it blends bests with your fabric, where teal doesn't appear to be a dominant color.

Master - Toss up between 3 and 4, leaning toward 4.

Are you incorporating any stained glass in your kitchen? Love it all!

cpartist thanked nhbaskets
  • User
    6 years ago

OK - for the bedroom, #2. I'm not a fan of the blue, really - which is odd, because blue is one of my favorite colors.

cpartist thanked User
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

My vote: 2

cpartist thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Are you incorporating any stained glass in your kitchen? Love it all!

Yes I have a backsplash window behind my prep sink and right now we have a preliminary drawing for that area. Mostly it will be green leaves with some antique looking glass.

• cpartist
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So what I've been doing is if you gave me more than one choice, I incorporated both into my poll. I also have this post on the Home Decorating forum and so far for DH's study, B is the winner with C one behind C.

For the bedroom, 4 so far is the winner with 3 one behind.

I do want to thank everyone for helping.

• wifemothergoddess
    6 years ago

Study - C

Master - 5

cpartist thanked wifemothergoddess
  • ILoveRed
    6 years ago

A

cpartist thanked ILoveRed
  • Angela Zuill
    6 years ago

Study C or E, Master 3 or 5. But you really can’t go wrong! It will be beautiful!

cpartist thanked Angela Zuill
  • Suru
    6 years ago

I think if you want to accent the teal in the study, then C. If you might change furnishing down the road, E is more neutral.

Same with the master, if you have a lot of blue then I vote for 3, but if you want to go more neutral, then 2.

The stained glass is going to make your already beautiful house even more so!

cpartist thanked Suru
  • artemis_ma
    6 years ago

The study - B or C, about equal.

bedroom - 4, with 1 a contender too.

Can't wait to see!

cpartist thanked artemis_ma
  • BethA
    6 years ago

I like B for the study (I like the pop of the red with everything else more muted) and 4 for the MB.

cpartist thanked BethA
  • kalenangel
    6 years ago

G and 4

cpartist thanked kalenangel
  • nini804
    6 years ago

I like C and 4. They seem like they would let on the most light and don't look as "heavy"'as some of the others.

cpartist thanked nini804
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    6 years ago

4 seems to be a clear winner.

• amyktexas
    6 years ago

C4, did I sink the battleship? Seriously they are all lovely but I was drawn to the balance in C and enjoyed 4

• cpartist
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The glass guy and I picked glass today and 4 was the clear winner. On Thursday I'll be choosing for DH's office.

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    6 years ago

I like C and 3 or 4. You are going to have some gorgeous windows!

cpartist thanked biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you biondanonima. I'm so excited about them.

• cpartist
    Original Author
    6 years ago

For DH's office I decided on this one. C actually got 2 more votes but I wanted to play up the red a bit more.

Here is the glass we pulled out for this one today. The center that is white in the drawing will be heavily seeded clear glass.

From left to right: The orange will be the border. The teal blue is the ribbon. The bright green in his hand is the green circles. Below that is the tan/yellow that is the darker background. Next to that is the lighter background. And to the fair right is the reds for the red area. The dark green isn't shown in this photo but is the same green as in the bedroom glass photo.

For the master bedroom, we're still finalizing as we don't have the main background color. I chose 4 which was the one that got the most votes too.

The main green background is the color that we're waiting on samples but here's the colors chosen so far.

From left to right: The rose color, then the yellow accent color. The glass guy is holding the leaf color. Below that is the blue for the horizontal bands. Next to that is the light green for the border and the stem of the vase and next to that is the lighter background color.

And like with any glass, the colors look different depending on the light.

• nhbaskets
    6 years ago

What fun! These are going to be stunning!

cpartist thanked nhbaskets
  • doc5md
    6 years ago

Just chiming in to point out this is an area where I'd defer to you for sure CP! I am terrible at this sort of thing. My analytical brain lacks the artistic talent needed! :)

they all will be beautiful!!

cpartist thanked doc5md
  • dsnine
    6 years ago

Love! The glass is going to look amazing!

cpartist thanked dsnine
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all. I'm looking forward to seeing them.