Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceyonion

Help? Cheap bathroom facelift!

Stacey Onion
6 years ago

I'm helping my friend give her dated bathroom a facelift. She's thinking of painting the cabinets but what color with all that beige? Any suggestions would be appreciated. More bang for the buck is best! Thanks!

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Jake Spurgeon, AKBD
    6 years ago
    Try a grey-blue color! It will be a nice contrast to the wall tile.
  • kulrn
    6 years ago

An espresso color would look good. Can the mirror be changed? I would remove the small shelf with the décor on it and put art, or something more suited for storage if needed. And of course a fresh coat of paint. The vanity is dated, can the scroll part be removed?

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Patricia, I know but she says she can't replace it right now. Should she paint it?

• smit2380
    6 years ago

I would get rid of that crocheted thing that hold the toilet paper. I think if you paint the vanity and mirror that it will look shabby chic - which does not scream updated to me. A lot of people like that look. If you and your friend are two of them, then go for it.

• janedoe2012
    6 years ago
    If she paints the cabinets and mirror, how difficult would it be to replace the mirrors curved and carved valance front with a straight shaker style? And maybe do the same with the cabinet doors and false drawer front? That would probably end up costing $300 with paint. But I see that the mirror has lighting, and that should probably be kept.

I would definitely lose the thing over the toilet. Simplify all the clutter and then consider adding distraction with a bold wallpaper.

There was also a feature in Houzz recently that featured a brightly painted powder room vanity in a glossy finish. A bold vanity and mirror and / or a bold wall paint or wall color could move attention away from the slightly boreing dang dated (but not offensive) tile.
  • Ginny Dymek de Hernandez
    6 years ago

I'm the friend with the ugly bathroom. Thanks for all the great advice. Here's the rest of the story. The tub (not shown) is also that almond beige color but I have a new white toilet I can replace that one with. Should I mix and match? Not a problem to hide the tub with a shower curtain. That ugly tile goes around the whole room. What I also didn't show was that I have an espresso shelf on another wall so I really like the idea of painting the cabinet's and mirror/light espresso. I thought about just changing the doors on the cabinet but it's really not worth the expense at this point, it's a cheapy cabinet. And yes, I can remove that scrollwork (I've already been pulling it off). I want to remove that shelf too but the previous owner glued it on!! So I know there will be some drywall damage when I do it. But I'll just paint it and hang better art right over it. Thanks for all the tips, I'll be sure to post an after picture.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Hey Staceyonion...how did your friend do updating this bathroom?

I have a few suggestions if still in need!

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Julie, My friend is Ginny above. I'll let her know so that she checks in to see the comments!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi Ginny......

do you have any issue with painting the vanity a deep blue?

navy blue and the flesh pink beige tone is really great together

I would paint everything above the tile a soft warm white....that includes everything? Wall plates...mirror....shelf!

paint the vanity a deep navy blue..change all hardware out to brass to match faucet...or spray paint gold if not in the budget...spray paint towel bars-and

hooks too!

add towels in that flesh beige color like your tile in with navy blue. Remove all art..we can help add art once room is changed out...simple is best in this case.

6 years ago

Hi Julie, Thanks for the feedback. You and I are thinking alike on the color scheme. Months ago, I saved a pic of a navy bath cabinet from a magazine. I love the color! And I just got some new towels, white one's and greige ones, a little darker than the tile color but it works. I'll take your suggestion and paint the walls, trim, etc a warm white. There's a skylight, so plenty of natural light. If I accomplish that I should be able to live with the tile, floor and counter top a while longer.

• saratogaswizzlestick
    6 years ago

I like the idea of painting the cabinet and mirror navy after removing those wood decals. It will help balance out the color of the tile and it will be a nice update for your vanity and mirror.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Ginny...make sure not to paint the mirror navy..it is to heavy...keep the entire upper area white...any art would look pretty framed in gold on the white walls!

6 years ago
    Hi Houzz friends, I’ve completed painting the bathroom cabinet and walls and added new hardware. Hooray! Take a look at the after pictures. Now it’s time to accessorize and I’m asking for your ideas. I’m going for that coastal beach vibe. Think blues and greens. I also really love photography and if you think of a photo theme that would work, I probably have a photo to match. Regarding accent pieces I’d love to hear your ideas. I’d be willing to bet it’s already have it in my inventory. Thanks everyone!
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Ok now time to bring in lots of navy blue accents nothing light blue..you need a strong shower curtain print in navy blue and white if possible...some navy blue coral art would be nice...

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Looks great Ginny! Now the fun part!!!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Here are some prints from Etsy.com...you would have to frame them.

6 years ago
    Hi thanks for commenting so quickly. So keeping the color scheme to only navy and white? It’s time for a new shower curtain so I’ll def. make it navy. You said navy coral, is that a thing? Should I spray paint my piece of faux white coral?
  • PRO
    6 years ago
    I’ve saved that curtain on a wish list. I like the bold pattern. The art work works nicely too.