Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megan_schlichtig

Exterior upgrade ideas?

Megan
6 years ago

Hello there. I'm looking for any ideas to upgrade my new home's exterior and curb appeal. I've only been here a few weeks, but am brainstorming future projects. I do plan to re-paint the front door. I feel like the trim work is hard to see and blends in with the front of the house. Wondering if shutters might help or if anyone has any ideas besides completely re-siding it. I included two pictures...one is from the real listing and the other I took myself. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Comments (19)

• PRO
    The Roof Wizard by Allen Roofing and Construction
    6 years ago

It looks like you may have some algae streaks on your roof. Since your roof is prominent from the road, a new roof (if its time) or removal of the algae would definitely help.

A new paint job for your home would help. I like the white trim around your windows. I don't know that shutters is what you need. I think just some paint and some elbow grease, and you'll be amazed at how new your home looks!

Megan thanked The Roof Wizard by Allen Roofing and Construction
  • Peke
    6 years ago

You could put a covered porch like the 2nd picture but without the roof part. You could put wider trim around your windows like the 1st picture. You already have the larger piece over the windows like picture 1.

Or a pergola type trim like the last picture.

Search for architectural trim or details

Megan thanked Peke
  • jck910
    6 years ago

I agree with some cleaning up you may feel better until it is time for a new roof and paint job. Also when you paint the front door the storm door should also be painted same color to make a statement. The sidelights should be the trim color. Your foundation plantings need some help also

Megan thanked jck910
  • Peke
    6 years ago

I am not an expert, but I think your house is a Colonial. I am not sure what kind of Colonial though. I found the following comment about a Federal style Colonial. Builders had added architectural details to Georgian style Colonials.

"Ubiquitous up and down the East Coast, Federal-style architecture dates from the late 1700s and coincided with a reawakening of interest in classical Greek and Roman culture. Builders began to add swags, garlands, elliptical windows, and other decorative details to rectangular Georgian houses. The style that emerged resembles Georgian, but is more delicate and more formal. Many Federal-style homes have an arched Palladian window on the second story above the front door. The front door usually has sidelights and a semicircular fanlight. Federal-style homes are often called "Adam" after the English brothers who popularized the style."

Maybe that is why the arched window is above the front door and it has the sidelights beside the door. I can't see if the back roof is longer (steeper) than the front which would be a Saltbox. Maybe someone will comment on which style is correct.

I agree with you that it needs something, but not shutters. It just seems so white. I sort of like the turquoise/blue door but not the white storm door. I think I saw a picture the other day of a house that looked like yours, sort of. They put a gable porch over the front door. I think I had been googling "Exterior remodeled before and after".

Megan thanked Peke
  • Peke
    6 years ago

Top picture has shutters and they added a porch/balcony when they remodeled. Bottom picture just added a porch.

• User
    6 years ago

A small portico addition would give added dimension. No to shutters unless appropriately sized. Moses of your looks issues will be handled by you taking care of the deferred maintenance issues.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Most of these comments are spot on. I think you could do enough without adding a porch if you're limited by budget. Of the above, flopsycat1's comments are probably the simplest and will achieve the most.

Part of what's crushing your home appeal is the overgrown bush in the front that hides any obvious access to the door. It feels like you have to walk across the lawn to get to the front door. An obvious foot path, some basic maintenance, and contrast between the house color and trim (or painting both the same color) will give you a house that looks like new.

• Paddy
    6 years ago

Megan, what kind of siding have you got? It's impossible to tell from the photos. Pretty much any type of siding can be painted - which is definitely cheaper than replacing the siding. However, if the siding isn't in good condition and/or you're thinking of replacing it anyway, then painting wouldn't be a good option. At any rate - if you can paint/replace the siding with a stronger colour, with the white trim and a different colour for the front door (either the existing blue or something else bright and cheerful) it will look a lot better.

Your planting could also use some attention - the shrub on the far left is a bit large, and depending on what it is, either needs some pruning or removal. What one of my profs in landscape architecture used to call the "clippy-clippy" look - everything pruned into rounded balls - isn't helping. You can often solve that problem by simply NOT pruning for a while, and then pruning very carefully thereafter to shape gently, but let things get more fluffy/natural looking. In other words - don't use electric hedge pruners! That's of course if the shrubs themselves aren't already way too large for their locations. Some things can be pruned hard and respond well (yew, for instance) - other things not so much (juniper is an example). You need some colour and texture - but I think we'd need to see the layout (i.e.: where the planting beds are, where the walkway is) a little more clearly, with more close up photos along the front of the house, from the driveway along the front, etc.

Re: the door - if you were to paint the sidelight panels white to match the rest of the trim, then the storm door won't be as much of a problem it is right now (visually). Of course, if you can do without the storm door, it will look better. Traditionally, these panels would be painted the colour of the trim, not the door colour. This is our old house in Massachusetts - we had a storm door exactly like yours for a while - but removed it when we had to do a lot of repair work on the wood around the door and replace the door, and never put it back.

• Megan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Lydia Derhake, LLC...which bush would you trim? There's a tree in the front yard more towards the road that's overgrown. But I wasn't sure if you meant that or the bushes in front of the house? There is a short paved walkway along the front of the house...you can see it a little in the below picture.

@The Roof Wizard by Allen Roofing and Construction We definitely plan to have the roof cleaned. I'd love to re-side the house so that the trim stands out more when I have the funds available for that (not sure what that costs on average...home is about 1800 sq ft).

I appreciate the comments about the storm door! I think that's a good idea.

Any suggestions on siding color and door color?

• Megan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Paddy Thank you for your comments! I'm honestly not sure what kind of siding it is...this is my first home so I'm learning a lot as I go. I'll try to find out though. I honestly had no idea that siding could be painted! That's helpful to know. The house was built in 1997...the siding seems to be in okay shape but I'm not sure of the typical lifespan of siding? I'd also be curious of the cost of replacing siding vs. painting the siding.

I believe the plant on the left is a hydrangea. I'll try to take some more close up pictures tomorrow.

I personally would prefer to get rid of the storm door entirely, but my husband is inclined to keep it (we're from Massachusetts). Your old house is absolutely beautiful...thats the kind of curb appeal I'd like to be able to bring to my home!

• Paddy
    6 years ago

Megan, there is nothing wrong with the tree. ;) It's healthy and looks to be in good condition. I suspect that Lydia was referring to the shrubs along the house, which is what I'd suggest you think about working with. I've never been a fan of Alberta Spruce, which is, I think, what you've got next to the driveway at the end of the walk. They're very stiff looking - I prefer my planting a lot more natural looking.

Where are you? Looks like MA (where we used to live) - but we'd need to know the planting zone in order to make any useful suggestions re: planting. Generally, it's a good idea to mass your planting - not have one of something and one of something else...which appears to be what you've got at least in part. That and the dreaded red bark mulch. ;) I can identify a couple of boxwoods (clipped into round balls) in the foreground, and what may be a purple nine bark, also clipped within an inch of its life. (they are typically very enthusiastic plants - I never put them anywhere where they need much pruning, or you'll be pruning 3X a year...) Not sure what the shrub between boxwood and nine bark is - it seems to have yellow flowers. (?)

• Paddy
    6 years ago

I thought that looked like MA! (What town? We were in North Andover). Anyway - your real estate listing might list the type of siding. Go out and have a look at it - if it's wood, it will be pretty obvious. (texture - you'll have rough bits and it won't be uniform). A lot of houses built in the 90s have composite siding - cement board. That will be more uniform looking than wood, and will be very solid sounding if you tap it with your finger. If it's vinyl, it will be extremely uniform looking, probably pretty smooth and sound plastic-y if you tap it (kind of hollow, too, probably). Aluminum siding will also be extremely uniform looking and metallic sounding if you tap it. You can also look at the bottom of the wall where it meets the foundation for clues - or at any joins. Note: most aluminum and vinyl siding will have a wood grain look to it, but will be quite smooth and uniform, compared to real wood. Ditto the cement board - but you should be able to tell the difference on close examination.

Any siding can be painted - it just depends what type you have and what sort of preparation would need to be done. Wood and cement board siding often come (these days) from the manufacturer with a colour coating applied - at 20 years out, if it's either of those it's likely already been painted once or more. Vinyl fades over time (and gets brittle) and aluminum also fades and often gets chalky.

• Megan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Paddy I am in Western MA...outside of Springfield. You sure know your plants! I am going to save your suggestions for next summer when I start to attack the front plantings. I also hate the red mulch! Definitely plan to get rid of that next summer also.

• Megan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Paddy Im impressed you could tell I'm in MA! If I had to guess I'd say the siding is probably vinyl...seems very uniform with some faux wood grain to it if I remember correctly, but I'll take a closer look when I'm home later.

• Paddy
    6 years ago

Megan, we lived in MA for 10 years, so it looks VERY familiar! As for knowing my plants - I was a landscape architect. I do web design nowadays, but you don't forget - at least not all of it, anyway. ;) As for mulch - I've always favoured using nice black compost, which can simply be dug in the following year, enriching the soil. You can order it by the yard and have it delivered, which depending on the quantity can be substantially cheaper than getting it in bags at Home Depot etc. Digging in wood chips/coloured bark mulch tends to cause it to steal nitrogen from the soil as it decomposes, so you'll probably want to remove that layer next spring before you do any digging. It can be composted in a back corner of the garden...it will break down eventually. :p

• David Patrick Trigg
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Miller Paint Store. Everybody driving by, walking by has complemented the new curb appeal. The color combo seen here was actually photographed on a home of your physique in the store to see what the turn out would look like. If you like it as well, go for it!

I also plan to do dark grey color tone combination Ledge Stone 3ft high on each side of the garage door and quite possibly the same across the left side of my home at window height.

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The Palladian window should be removed or resized--it should be much bigger and go higher if it is to look like it belongs,which most likely isn't possible given that there's going to be a header over it in modern construction. It makes the house look cheaper. You could replace it with an ellipse if you want a "shaped" window.

A historically inspired porch would be great.

More contrast with the siding color will help the bleached out look more than shutters.

The chimney detail is low end but may not be worth changing.

The landscaping isn't bad, but the red mulch looks commercial and fake.

• rnonwheels
    6 years ago

No shutters, add portico over the entry, paint front storm door, new mailbox in style of the home, brick or shrubery edging the driveway to make a statement entry especially nice with that gentle curve.