Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theodonnells

I hate this outdated fireplace surround. What can I do to update it?

theodonnells
6 years ago

Heres the challenge...I hate this fireplace. Want to update but don't want to demo. What can I do to make it more current. I wanted to paint the white mantel black but it looked terrible. Now Im sooo confused I can't think straight. I am getting new darker carpet in 2 weeks. All cords and stuff iare there temporarily. Any and all solutions/ideas appreciated. As always, Thanks!

Comments (20)

• PRO
    The Roof Wizard by Allen Roofing and Construction
    6 years ago

Did the fireplace look bad due to the color of the brick? I have a good friend who painted their brick white. It was a pink color previously. Perhaps painting the brick a grey color would look good with the white mantle, or painting the brick a white color would allow you to paint the mantle a different color.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago

You have 3 posts going on the same topic. Stick to one, only and it will work out. I, for one, am not going to read the other two to find our what is missing or redundant in this post.

You need more suggestions for this room than just painting the fireplace.

• theodonnells
    Original Author
    6 years ago

like what?

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

So you think updating the fireplace will solve the room issues. I agree with JudyG....Since you want to update - What is up with that coffee table it needs to be updated. What is up with that sectional, it looks like it needs to be updated, What is up with those pictures on the wall near the fireplace, they need to be updated.

• theodonnells
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Furniture leftover from downsizing. This room in lower level. It is the family room. Full of memories from trips the last 30 years. I just figured if I did something with the fireplace I wouldn't hate it as much. I don't mind the print sectional. Agree about table. Have to start somewhere. The fireplace would be a good jumping off point.

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

Okay - fair enough! So what do you want to do. I'd redo that area with a built-in or something(I think folks recommend Ikea's systems).

• theodonnells
    Original Author
    6 years ago

thanks shiripp...this is in basement. Doesn't get used unless my kids come home. Not looking to sink a lot of money into. Was hoping the fireplace would offer a solution that at least when Im down there I don't cringe.

• kulrn
    6 years ago

The fireplace doesn't make me cringe, it's a perfectly normal looking fireplace, Changing the wall paint and your new carpet may improve the look for you. The TV on top doesn't help either.

• jent78
    6 years ago

I think if you want to bring it up to date, whitewash the brick and keep the mantel white since it's in the basement to keep it light and airy. Changing the paint color on the walls is cheap and a quick project and would make a huge difference in the room, a lighter nuetral color would look great. Pick up a new chunky coffee table (maybe at overstock or world market since you don't want to spend a lot)

• theodonnells
    Original Author
    6 years ago

thanks everyone! I just painted the walls and love the color. The whole back wall is doors and windows so there is light. Im now realizing I should have taken more pics of the room. Back wall is white plantation shutters. Im laying new carpet that is darker. Im realizing how skattered I sound. Perhaps all of those will make a difference. I just wanted to get this fireplace resolved before the new carpet. I will take addtl pics and add to thread. Thanks!

• nicole___
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

If you just want a quick, easy...cheap fix? I'd glue(liquid nails) a light colored marble on top of the brick. Brick fireplaces are out of style right now. (brick is in-style on walls). Keep the light carpet...if it needs shampooing then do that. I'd put in dark wood flooring before i'd put in dark carpeting. Carpeting is big in bedrooms, not living areas right now. (You said you wanted up-to-date)

• jhmarie
    6 years ago

I actually think this fireplace is charming and cozy. I do see this look still in design pics:

If this was my space I would bring down the TV and put it next to the fireplace. Actually, that is how my basement TV and fireplace are arranged. Built-ins might not be in the budget, but this is a good look. It would allow you to decorate the mantel in your more contemporary style. I don't think it is the fireplace that is the real problem - but the TV above does not give you space to dress the room in your style.

From Pinterest:

Most of the pros here only put the TV over the fireplace if there is no other place. In my basement, I would have to crane my neck to see the TV if it was over the fireplace and I could not possibly lay on the couch and watch TV.

[https://www.houzz.com/discussions/on-my-soapbox-mounting-the-flatscreen-too-high-dsvw-vd~4537748[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/on-my-soapbox-mounting-the-flatscreen-too-high-dsvw-vd~4537748)

The above pics do show painted brick. I find it cold, and much prefer the first two pics I posted, but that is personal preference, and you don't need to think about it unless you are selling soon.

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

It would not make me cringe either. I think as suggested white washing the brick will make it better for you - as it appears that you've painted the walls a green shade. Greenish walls with a red brick fireplace.....yep - white washing is a quick and easy fix, before you lay the carpet.

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Frankly, I think the fireplace is the best thing in this room. I'd slipcover those sofas in a natural cotton duck, replace that coffee table, maybe with an ottoman, lose that dated torchiere lamp in the corner, then find a better way to showcase the important memorabilia that doesn't look so haphazard.

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

What about updating with grey slate.

• chloebud
    6 years ago

There's nothing wrong with the fireplace. Totally agree with grover's comments.

• Dee Carmona
    6 years ago

I think you should replace the old bricks on the fireplace with a bit of a dark colored ones and replace carpet with a bit of a lighter color.

• PRO
    CCM Countertop and Cabinet Manufacturing
    6 years ago

I like the fireplace white - it ties in with the plantation shutters. You could always add a colorful slate tile over the brick surround and on the hearth to pull the colors together. That would add some rustic flair, IMHO.

• PRO
    Susan Jablon Mosaics
    6 years ago

Have you thought about using glass tile?