Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angela_shults

Paint too light?

J Kildman
6 years ago
This is a large 2 story family room and it will go in a 2 story foyer.

Paint is BM PALE OAK. Floors will be medium brown hardwoods.

I want light and neutral but you think this is TOO light?

Fireplace tile will be an off white marble.

Comments (210)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

The neutral looks good it has some warm neutral threading in it...I love the lightness with the walls and your classic dark furniture...if they come in gray why not order both and see what you like best.... they are really a great deal

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'm ordering now and will keep you posted. Thanks and you're SO HELPFUL! :) I wish I could give you hug. :)

• hopingtogetfit
    6 years ago
    Omg! Why are there 162 posts on this topic?
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Three baby peaches keep me updated! If we don’t post between now and Christmas just want to wish you Happy Holidays! Enjoy all your changes it is going to look amazing:)

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi HIWE! Thanks for checking in! I've been so busy trying to "move" back into the main living space of my home. Still waiting on the natural colored curtains for the dining room. They are expected to arrive tomorrow! Refinishing floors is no joke lol In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out how to arrange my little den (aka keeping room here in the south). No idea on what color rug, pillows yet (was thinking a mixture of creams and whites for the pillows. blah?? ) etc AND most IMPORTANTLY what the heck to put on this blank wall over the table? Unfortunately I have a decent size bird cage that needs to go back to the other side of the fireplace so I'm stuck with one chair for now. I feel like I have so many rooms I'm trying to tackle at once just to make my living space more presentable. I'll attach some pics below.

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Den/keeping room pics (sorry realized lighting is quite dark in these pics)

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Still needing to iron but are these good enough to keep?
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

It was worth a try for the low price but..I would not keep them...your room is so pretty and they just don’t match the level your room is....I would hold out and order from Half price drapes or wait for a great sale from Smith and Noble to do custom.

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Ok I’ll return them and thanks for your honest input! Is there something in particular I should look for in regard to color, style, solid or pattern etc?
  • aventu
    6 years ago
    Loving the transformation of your home. Everything looks wonderful! Julie @HIWE is always spot on with her recommendations.
    J Kildman thanked aventu
  • christina405
    6 years ago

Part of the problem is the way the drapes intrude on the window space. If the rods can be extended further out each side, the drapes (these or others) will look better. Also adding weights to the corners so the edge hangs straight will help. As suggested by HIWE, they don't live up to the quality of the room.

J Kildman thanked christina405
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Christina405, Funny you said that because I was just reading about how rods should extend 10-15" outside the frame. Mine definitely do not and the top of the panels look a bit scrunched to me! I will need to also buy new rods as these don't extend. I agree that will help a lot once I find the perfect curtains. :)

Yes, aventu, Julie is ah-ma-zing! I love her style so it's always a blessing to me when she gives her awesome recommendations. :) Love the Houzz community.

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Also was just thinking about this. If I extend my rod say 10” beyond each side of the window, will that make the small wall space in between the windows look strange?

Also should I get one large rod to go across or get two rods for each window as shown? With two rods that are longer, they seem like they be awfully close to each other.
  • DH
    6 years ago
    you can pass on those metallic thread curtains to me. i think theyre lovely. even if not for your dining room
    what was the name.... i frequent hpd alot
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

No worries three baby Peaches...you will have 24” between the drapes if you extend another 10”....can you raise that rod up under the crown on the flat molding? It would really look great...

I would add rings to rod for the drapes.

J Kildman thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

HPD is having a great sale right now...take a look at all the textured silks and linens...saw these thought they would look beautiful in your dining room...you might want to order some samples..they come quick....I think the textured silk can be customized.....

J Kildman thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok thanks so much! I'll check out HPD. :)

• christina405
    6 years ago

Pottery Barn drapes also on sale. I have their lined drapes and am very happy with them. Bought a few years ago, so don't remember exactly what they were called.

• User
    6 years ago

If she raises the rod higher she would be right in the moulding

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Yep it can be hung on the flat inside part f the lower trim just under crown molding,

• andria564
    6 years ago

Three Baby Peaches Do you remember the brand of stain used for the mix? We are going to be doing a large refinish and I love the color.

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    75 dark walnut / 25 provincial ratio
  • andria564
    6 years ago

Are those Minwax or Bona colors?

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Not sure but I’m guessing Bona.
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Finally starting on my kitchen renovation! Yipee!!!! Pretty sure I have my counter tops selected (Sea Pearl quartzite). Pretty sure the cabinets will be painted BM Simply White. Just need to double check that next to the slab once I finalize. New hardware, trim around island.

Lots of changes will be going on but for now, my main thought I've been pondering.... Should I make my desk area a beverage station. I'd need to raise the counter to desk height and change the cabinets below and possibly add a beverage fridge. I can move the computer into the office.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

• Linda H
    5 years ago

Big yes to a Beverage Station! I like that it's out of the path of all the flurry that goes on when you are preparing meals or entertaining. Very convenient to scoot in and grab an espresso or whatever. Great idea!

• Linda H
    5 years ago

My dream coffee station would have a built in Miele beverage maker with it's own water line so no dragging pots of water over there to fill tea pots or coffee pots. I'd get one that offered hot water, regular coffee and Nespresso pods all in one. I think built in milk frothing is too much clean up. Better to have a separate frother on the counter.

J Kildman thanked Linda H
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ok thanks for your input! :)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Good Morning!

so excited that you are starting your kitchen...

a beverage station is what I have always wanted......I have saved this image to add to my kitchen when we move back to MI...love how it all closes up and looks like cabinets when not in use....

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi HIWE! Long time no talk and hope you're doing well! Moving back to MI soon?

What an amazing beverage station!! That's truly a swoon worthy one!!! Happy to hear you like the idea too of getting rid of the desk. I may need to pick your brain throughout the process. I think this is the quartizite we decided on. I am getting a sample of Simply White so hopefully it work together nicely. :)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Beautiful!!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Is Simply White your trim color throughout your home?

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    It will be! I am going to slowly change it all over room by room. Not sure if you remember from some previous discussions but it’s close to SW Steamed Milk and will look way too dingy.
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I’m wanting an off white, nothing stark.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Simply white is a very nice white it does have a very slight yellow undertone....think about looking at BM White Dove too...both are great choices.

here is what Kylie describes them as.....

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Too funny! I grabbed a swatch of White Dove too! I not sure how to go about selecting the right paint color for the cabinets since I’d be viewing both colors outside my house since the slab is literally sitting outside . Do I just paint swatches on poster board and bring it there?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

You could.....they Are both nice choices..no right or wrong....I have used White Dove but not Simply White on Cabinets...

BM Simple White

BM White Dove

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yup I love both! I’ll make sure to get samples of both.

Here are two things I’m pondering....

I want to get my island trimmed out and I can potentially extend one side. It’s currently 52” from the edge of the island to the perimeter cabinets. OR should I just leave it alone and trim it out as is. It’s only 51x37 now so not very big.

Another thought. Ceilings are 10’ tall and these are 42” cabinets with about a 10” space at the top. I was thinking about getting that space boxed in and have it trimmed out with crown. Yah or nah?
  • judymn
    5 years ago

everything is turning out so nicely!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Go into my projects and check out kitchen for Zoto....we couldn’t add over cabinets because they where all different heights....but added trim and a faux exhaust hood...I would box yours out to get rid of that space it will look amazing...you could add another 12“ to Your island without it feeling to tight.

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ok awesome glad to hear this will work! And yes I really like the kitchen for Zoto. Amazing transformation!

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Quick question! What do you think would look best? The sea pearl quartzite on all my counters OR absolute black honed granite on the perimeter and only the quartzite on the island? Please keep in my my island is only 51x37. :)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

I would do Seapearl everywhere it is so beautiful...Maybe think about doing a medium wood stain on the island and all perimeter cabinets white...it is such a warm beautiful look.

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I just ordered it!
    They did a rough template for me. The island is shown on the top right corner!
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

It is such a beautiful selection!!!,,

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you!
  • ilesliemy
    5 years ago
    My experience with getting something I loved that loved nice with creamy woodwork was to keep buying samples! Aarg, maybe 25 or so. I ended up with SW Dover White. It really refreshed the room. It had previously been Pittsburg Toasted Almond. The gray in any shade made the room die and then I was looking at replacing furniture etc. Not what I wanted to do!
    Leslie
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Looking good! Hope they honor your hopes about the layouts. Very important. But should be really nice.

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you so much Flo! This is my first time choosing my own countertop so it’s really exciting and scary at the same time. Always scared to make the wrong choice!
  • anne_cooper85
    5 years ago
    what did you end up putting on the walls? edgecomb gray?
Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!