Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aluvaboy

Mite control of Curry Leaf Plant being brought indoor for winter

aluvaboy
6 years ago

I just brought my Curry Leaf plant indoors for winter. Every year I was having serious mite/aphid infestation of my Curry Leaf plant while indoors. Recently, a friend told me of that there are things I could do to prevent this. He is a pathologist. So based on his suggestion, I have done the following before bringing the plant indoors.

1. Into a one gallon container add 1 tea spoon of liquid dish washing detergent, 1 tea spoon of white vinegar and 1 teaspoon of neem oil (available in home centers).

2. Add 1 gallon of cold water and mix it thoroughly.

3. Transfer some of the above solution into a spray bottle.

4. Spray the mixture top down on the plant taking care to spray the stems, underside of the leaves as well as the top layer of the potting mix.

5. Leave the plant in sun until the solution that was applied is dried.

6. Now use a garden hose to rinse the plant top down taking care to rinse the stems and underside of leaves etc.

7. Leave the plant in sun to drain. Then remove the top layer (about 1/2inch) of the potting mix as waste.

8. Bring the plant indoors immediately.

9. Your mite/aphid infestation has been nipped in the bud!

Comments (2)

• gardendawgie
    6 years ago

Do you really want detergent or just a mild natural soap like Ivory liquid washing soap. I thought detergent was not good for plants and it was better to use a pure soap.

I have this problem and I mix up a 5 gallon bucket of neem oil and dip the plant upside down in the liquid to make sure I get every bit of surface but the mites come right back. hahaha.

I have to try it your way. I have been doing it in the house and I think I have already infected the house with the mites. I like your idea of doing it outdoors BEFORE bring the plants indoors. and getting rid of the surface soil because I suspect that the surface is infected with mites and aphids. I have not had as much problems with aphids over winter. I have it more in the summer.

anyway I like your ideas very much. I have to try it out. I was not sure of where to pick up neem oil so I ordered it off EBay. Home Depot sold it to me on Ebay. that was this month. it just arrived a couple of days ago. and the shipping said it was sold from home depot. hahaha.

• aluvaboy
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I never had aphid or mite problem during summer time when the plants are outside. My problem starts when the plants are brought inside the house. I use the Palmolive dish washing detergent ( green in color). My pathologist friend says it is just fine. We are rinsing it off immediately outside. So no harm in my opinion. Any way keep us posted of the outcome.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm