Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fkakristamarie

Concerts, your favorites, least favorites etc

fkakristamarie
6 years ago

My very first concert when I was 17ish was Milli Vanilli, so it doesn't really count ;) a friend had an extra ticket and it was something to do. Haven't been a big concert goer in the past, not fond of large crowds, pricey tickets and parking costs. I do enjoy live music though and the beau is a big music aficionado, so I have seen more concerts than I ever thought AND music that I only came to appreciate the last several years. I really loved AC/DC! Great energy. Guns n Roses was also a good show. LOVED Bob Seger. Jon Butler Trio, mesmerizing. Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Don Henley, Hollywood Vampires, Buckingham McVee (Lindsey Buckingham was a strong performer, McVee not so much) were good but not my favorites. Eagles and Joe Bonamassa will wind down the year, but my favorite experience from each and every concert is the one man show I attend these concerts with. He sings, dances, plays air guitar, air keyboard, air drums and every "air" instrument there is LOL

Comments (8)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    6 years ago

I just can't "handle" concerts all that well. I've been to see Chicago more than once. Neil Diamond twice, Harry Connick, Jr. once, and Billy Joel once. It was hard in my youth, but I sure can't see me doing it now. It's too late at night. I hate crowds, and the noise level, I just can't. Does your one man show put on a show at your house too?

;)

• kris_zone6
    6 years ago

I've been to Neil Diamond, Rod Stewart and Luciano Pavarotti. Too old to fight the crowds, noise and late hours any more. The Pavarotti concert was the most memorable.

• fkakristamarie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm not a night person due to my work hours, nor do I particularly enjoy large crowds, but my beau's enthusiasm and love of music are contagious. The rare Thursday night concert, I make sure I take Friday off. He will pretty much hum, sing and/or "bust a move" anywhere. It's amusing to watch other people watch him when we shop together. :D We almost saw Chicago this summer, hopefully next year. I love a good horn section. My favorite venue was outdoor at Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids, much more intimate setting. I really like Neil Diamond and Billy Joel. I'll have to look up New Riders of the Purple Sage. I'm glad he's getting me out, it's too easy to get into a rut. I am grateful too, that in return he sometimes accompanies me doing something I am passionate about.

• gyr_falcon
    6 years ago

My very first concert when I was 17ish was Milli Vanilli, so it doesn't really count ;)

Ok that is funny. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I recall only having been to a Nick Gilder/ Cheap Trick concert (with a HS boyfriend) My husband isn't into concerts, and we have been together since we were 18. So even though I gifted tickets to stuff, we never went.

• fkakristamarie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Nancy, you have me beat for eclectic taste! Several years ago, my son went to camp and we hung around town to see the sights and there happened to be an annual gathering of musicians that meet up to play chamber music. We found out about it from a musician and his wife that were staying at the same bed and breakfast (from Chicago). It was a great experience! unplanned and surreal. Gyr_falcon, I enjoy Cheap Trick, though I always have the odd memory of my step dad playing the broom as a guitar to "I want you to want me" LOL

• fkakristamarie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

OH!!!! The Eagles were EXCELLENT last Friday. Joe Walsh did some of his songs from the James Gang, LOVED Funk 49. Deacon Fry and Vince Gill fit right in and it was like a soundtrack to my younger years. I think I knew the lyrics to every song except Tequila Sunrise. Top of my list for most enjoyed concerts.

• Laurie (8A)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I have been to 79 concerts so far. First real concert was Aerosmith, so freakin long ago. Favorites have been Jethro Tull. Joe Cocker, Fleetwood Mack. the Band, foreighner, Pink Floyd, Doobies, (so good). Saw Heart at a tiny Theatre in Aberdeen just a few days after Dreamboat Annie came out. No one had heard of them yet, so......we were in the front row. Such a lucky night. I can say that there are only 3 or so concerts I did not thoroughly love, and none I regret. Well, yes.....I regret Thorogood. He was f-ed up and slimy with women, just an aging cliche. Paul McCartney was a snooze fest for me, but I am glad I have seen him, and loved the drummer. Bands I was not expecting to love like I did were the Rolling Stones, Lyle Lovett was just something to do, but from the moment the Large Band and Lyle began playing, it was so so good, and a top 5. Elton John was amazing. The Steve Miller Band is the most authentic singer and group I have seen, sounding exactly like their albums. Three Dog Night sounded the same live as on the albums too. If you have been to a concert where you realize the singer can't really sing as well as you thought it's sort of a slap in the face. Buddy Guy, Etta James. Mellancamp, Love Dave Matthews and the fiddle player. Love Love Joe Walch and Neil Young. EAgles, Clapton concert had terrible sound for some reason. Bonnie Raitt is worth seeing. Susan Tadeschi is a cross between Raitt and Janis Joplin and still tours a lot. She would be an affordable and amazing night out. I was determined to see Petty before I die, and am sad as heck he beat me to it. Took both my sons and wives to see Greg Ahlman, a year ago. Really great.

Will never see Ringo, or Sam Smith. No Katy Perry or pit bull, No Adell for me, either.

I would love to hear from anyone who has seen anything new, and current. Would love to get opinions.

Go see every one you can, as often as you can afford to, and buy full cd's so you really get to know what the band is really like. If you stop listening to the current stuff, you get stuck in your decade of favorite music. But this period for me, is one of the best periods for music I have seen in a long time. My Kids had the late 80's and the 90s. A lot of good, and a lot of crap too. LOL.

Sponsored
More Discussions