Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mahleendel

Where would you put the dining room and living room?

mahleendel
6 years ago
Would love to have an open floor plan. but not sure of the lay-out of dining and living room. would appreciate any advice. thanks

Comments (20)

• mahleendel
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes and please disregard the existing chandelier where the previous condo owner had the dining room. The living room is currently next to the patio opening. But if we take down the kitchen wall diving the rooms where would we put the couch and tv. We usually watch TV in the living room.
  • Elizabeth B
    6 years ago

When I was searching for my current home I looked at many 1,200 sqft homes with open concepts and not one wall to put a tv and another wall for a couch. Open concepts don't always workout. If you take down the kitchen wall how will you arrange your furniture?

• Elizabeth B
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I think if the wall was down you'd put your dinning room by the sliding glass door. But I can't tell if the current dining room has enough wall space or space in general for a tv and couch? maybe add a layout with dimensions/doors/windows on it

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

Pano pix are not helpful as we cannot judge the real scale of your room. Can you provide standard pix of each wall?

• mahleendel
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    here are more pictures
  • Elizabeth B
    6 years ago

ok so if living room was in the front room with the front door I'm not sure a couch and tv would fit without something hanging out in the middle of the space? and if living room was in backroom and you had the kitchen wall removed you'd have the same issue?

• mahleendel
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Great point ElizabethB. This is really my dilemma if I do an open concept. I'll work on posting measurements.
  • Elizabeth B
    6 years ago

Np I've just looked at so many homes and I always try to picture furniture. If a simple couch/tv set up didn't work I'd move on to the next house.

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

I can see why the chandy is at the front; access from the kitchen door is easy. The thermostat can probably be moved if that wall comes down, but I question what kind of kitchen you'll have then. May we see it?

• Elizabeth B
    6 years ago

Good point the kitchen is an entirely different can of worms without that wall do you have a place to put a sink/fridge/range and it all make sense. Not like the fridge and range touching each other?

• mahleendel
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    kitchen is L-shap with ref and range on one side and sink and dishwasher on the other
  • Elizabeth B
    6 years ago

ok so the kitchen really doesn't need to be changed to take that wall down. My only concern is furniture placement. Maybe wait and see how you can arrange your furniture with that wall taken down.

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

That's a plus! Close up the pass through and door and make a high opening through that wall. Joanna Gaines does that a lot so the support is not lost but you get the feeling of openness. She'll take a regular 72" opening and widen it to 84 or 96 and open it to the ceiling. Remarkable difference, but if it is load bearing, you may have to insert some support in the wall above it which is more expensive to do. Remember, when you open this wall, guests will step through your front door and see your kitchen and all the mess. Something to consider. You might appreciate closing the current door and pass through and putting a 48" wide opening at the thermostat end of that wall for access without the direct view from the entrance into the kitchen. With the other wall closed, you might find room for a tiny breakfast table and chairs or for a coffee bar.

• Elizabeth B
    6 years ago

That's a great idea deco if that walk thru was closed and pass thru you'd have a place to put your tv most likely and your couch

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

I think that's a hallway, Elizabeth B. Probably won't add any usable space for the living area but can add a bit more for the kitchen (maybe shelving, coffee bar, or little breakfast spot.)

• Elizabeth B
    6 years ago

Yeah I know it's a hallway but if it's closed off from the living area that will give them more furniture placement options. As is if they just remove the kitchen wall where will they put a couch and tv?

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

I suggest putting the TV on a credenza (25%wider than the TV) right of the door as we're facing it (chandelier area.) That way it isn't in guests' faces when they enter. Angle a chair facing TV at the bump out on the far right (out in front of the current pass through.) Then float a sofa perpendicular to the hall with its back to the dining area and aligned with the thermostat. There appears to be room to pass by it on both sides. Place a sofa table behind it to use as a serving spot for the dining area too. Add a coffee table 18" from it, a side table and lamp by the chair (use Fred's chart for sizing.) That's the basics, but for balance some tall casegoods can fill the right and left walls once seating is arranged.

• mahleendel
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you Elizabeth and Deco! is this what you mean with a couch and sofa table? I think I would love that. just have to figure out scale so the space will not be so cramped.
  • decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

Yes, that's it! A 3-seat sofa is always a good choice. Measure carefully.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert