Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acrubendall

Help! Choosing tile over the cooktop

acrubendall
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Please help! We are in the process of building a house, have most selections made except the tile over the cooktop. I hope you can help based on my picture collage. There is a wood bell shaped Vent Hood over the stove. It will be stained SW Rustic Gray in the bell, painted SW pure white around the bottom and top trim, cabinets are white. Large Island with Wood panels, is stained rustic gray, kitchen floor is the tile shown in picture. Countertop is granite white ice shown. Adjacent wood floor is Weathered Teak, darker color shown. The wall color is repose gray (peaking through in picture, backsplash is 3.6 white glossy subway tile. I've thrown in a random chair and lamp to assist visually. We haven't chosen lighting yet, but this is the breakfast / dining area lighting I will probably go with.

My goal is to do a square or rectangle shape between the bell vent hood and cooktop. I just can't decide which tile to use. The grout is white I believe. I would love to hear your suggestions! Thank you in advance!!

Cabinet Color, SW Pure White

Floor

Wall Color

Rustic Gray Stain, Island and Hood Bell

SW Weathered Teak, floor / beams in living room area adjacent to kitchen

Comments (31)

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

So you already have white subway tile installed and are looking for an accent that just goes by your cooktop? That means you will need something that is colored or patterned, no? Otherwise you will not be able to match the tile that is already there. Am I missing something?

• acrubendall
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Rita, thanks for the response. I have seen many examples of white on white here on Houzz. Sometimes they even use the same tile, but in a different pattern and outline it with a white or other color border.

• acrubendall
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Nothing is installed yet, but the white subway tile is ordered and will be used.

• acm
    6 years ago

Or just change the direction of the tile you're using elsewhere, for a more subtle accent...

• acrubendall
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, have considered that, but think in my heart of hearts I want something at least with a different shape tile.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

you did a great job of putting the boards together..unfortunately they're too small so whatever I can say will be an uneducated guess..I can't see the kitchen itself, layout, and colors ..colors I can see, but very approximately.

But as far as I understand-you ask about medallion only? surrounded by white glossy subway tile?

In such case I'd do something vertical..I mean, striving to be vertical in it's pattern..and would be mindful of my whites so they don't seem like they met from totally different places, you know? Unless you decide to go for, say, pattern on white-and then you can put whatever colors work with the space and please you

from what I can see-the leaves on pic# 9 look the best to me. two other..contendants? lol..would be pic #8..and pic #10 seems interesting but I can't see it:) I just see some sort of a pattern on a tile

bigger pictures would help of course, but my main idea would be -to choose the tile that takes your eyes up a bit

will be interesting to hear other responses

acrubendall thanked aprilneverends
  • acrubendall
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wall Color

pure white cabinet color, sherwin williams

island / hood stain

kitchen floor tile

6 years ago

Here is a tile I like very much, but I am not sure how to handle matching the color. It's dimensional tile rom Heath:

acrubendall thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • acrubendall
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I updated the pictures, see if that helps!

• acrubendall
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I am relegated to the tile that is shown in the pictures because I have to have it hands in the next couple days. The tile in the pictures is what I have to choose from.

6 years ago

Now I see your tile choices. I was very confused. Never mind anything I said.

No 6,9 & 10 are my favorites.

• chispa
    6 years ago

Adding to Mtn's comment, the horizontal stick mosaics and arabesques have been overused lately. I have a Spanish house and used some arabesque tiles years ago, long before they could be found at Home Depot, which now has them and the horizontal mosaics in several colors.

Stay away from all of these me-too choices and try to come up with something more unique. It is hard, but can be done. I am also picking tile for my backsplash and it took driving all over a large city to visit many tile shops and lots of time on Houzz photos to recognize the trends I wanted to avoid.

acrubendall thanked chispa
    6 years ago

And yes, to Mtn and Chipsa. All the same tile for the kitchen is preferred now and if you must choose something different because it's what you have your heart set on, stay away from Arabesque, chevron/herringbone, mosaic.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

I agree. I must say though-avoiding the trend just to avoid is is very close to following the trend..the other side of the coin. Or so I see it.

I can't be bossed arounf by trends in whatever forms this bossing comes

I agree to be bossed around by the house though and my specific kitchen and other inclinations, limitations, etc.

If the house is Spanish-like mine now is too-I'll use whatever I think works with the house..without overdoing it

I didn't want a medallion I wanted my dream tile everywhere-but my dream tile was out of my budget, and yes, medallion would seem too contrived..not giving enough justice to my tile. So I skipped it and went with simpler tile allover

But your kitchen liiks more impressive than mine, and the hood area is more distinctive

So you might decide differently whatever aprilneverends says, because aprilneverends lives in a certain house in a certain place:) and has het own ideas-applicable to your situation or not.

If you're choosing between many tiles though-it tells me no one of them is your true love. Or else you would just know. Your true love-as I see it-is not a tile itself at this point, but the idea of a medallion.

Which is fine,

Now it's dated, and maybe in five years won't be dated.

Think hard with yourself what do you want, why, and how it will work in the context of your kitchen.

• acrubendall
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I suppose I like a little bit of whimsy, and I think I'm after just a touch of whimsy! I like the idea of clean, but unique. I also want it to be a place you feel at home, but still elegant. I believe I am leaning towards 8,9, 10, but will always wonder "what if" on the arabesque patterns. I love the idea of French kitchens in their simplicity and whimsical nature and how they feel like "home". But, I don't want to get too feminine in my choices either.

• acrubendall
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Also, as I am not a designer, I don't want to do something so drastic that no one else would want to buy it later...

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

..to which I want to add-shapely tiles like arabesque, lanterns, you name it, will always look a bit sadder if they re man made as opposed to hand made..probably because their traditional nature-in our minds-implies some handmade quality. and when it's not there and the house doesn't support in some special way-then when it might start getting on one's nerves

if the house works with the place it stands it works. if the kitchen works with the house it works. if the tile works with that kitchen..then the mouse has its cookie. lol

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

"..to which I want to add"-it was to my own post I guess)))) I missed several while writing..

now, that's interesting even though OT..what's feminine when one talks about kitchens? maybe worth its own thread I don't know

acrubendall, you're not a designer but your kitchen looks good so far and you consider every choice of yours. meaning-you're on the right way. whether you're a designer or not

it takes thinking, no question. well the more thinking the better. I'm not a designer-but the best ones think. A lot. Or so it seems. They explore, feel and then they think:)

as per resale-if someone loves your house to the point of buying it he loves it as a whole. A bit like with people. If to dissect us all-well there's a lot of what not to love. But overall..we get lucky, in eyes of some people we're their dream..even if they don't like our "medallions" and other stuff.

6 years ago

I understand you need for whimsy. You can add that through a few well thought out accessories.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

also true..my kitchen is as plain as a corner of a house lol..yet me being me-I put there flowers, and ceramics, and strange handmade candles that look like onions to the point guests thinks they are onions..and mugs that I love..and it all makes it distinctively mine. So it pleases me just fine.

Would be better if also had tile of my dreams plus countertop of my dreams plus copper faucet..and painterly finish on cabinets..theoretically speaking..))

• mmilos
    6 years ago

I would keep it plain with the white subway, no accent tile. You'll have enough interest with your countertops and contrasting stained hood.

• momcarole62
    6 years ago

My vote is for #7. It has a little pizazz to it but is still classy, and classy never goes out of style. Good luck, your kitchen is gorgeous!

• blfenton
    6 years ago

Your bell-shaped vent hood with the corbels is already whimsy. Why try adding another shape underneath it and just cluttering up what is already beautiful.Not only that but you also already have the 4-square glass cabinets on that same wall and you also have the counter pattern to consider. Adding another shape on that wall is going to create a real mess.

Stick to the subway and leave it.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

I must confess-I totally missed the hood will be stained a different color

that of course changes things..your hood is more of a focal point than I thought

in short. think. sometimes the beauty of our freedom is in letting something go. for the sake of the whole. free will, all that jazz. yes, even in simple things. if you frame it like that to yourself-you'll feel powerful. rather than frustrated. good luck with your decision!

it will be beautiful. it already is.

• acrubendall
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you blfenton and aprilneverends. I have had these thoughts of keeping it simple, especially with the stained hood, but didn't want to "miss out" with the accent tile. Perhaps this is why I am not able to make a decision on it. If something does not just jump out at me that I love, I should perhaps "let it go".... having said that - - - should I maybe do the same tile, but in an angled or herring bone pattern square or rectangle? or just completely leave it alone?

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

you'll probably have your tile soon, or have some samples already. play with them a bit..I think it will help to visualize it a lot

not that I like Better Homes and Gardens as a rule but quick search gave me this link with some ideas.

http://www.bhg.com/kitchen/backsplash/subway-tile-arrangements/

Some of them I like, some don't..the important thing-they do exist. You might decide to place your tile differently regardless the area too. Even when you do brick pattern there are three or so ways to off set the tile, as far as I remember. You have choices to make anyway:)

• acrubendall
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you for that link, good resource! I truly appreciate your efforts! It will all be decided very soon. I will sleep on it and see what tomorrow brings...
  • acrubendall
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thought I would update! The house is finished, hooray! Here is the kitchen!
  • amykath
    6 years ago

Looks amazing! You did a wonderful job!

• Olychick
    6 years ago

Lovely!