Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelleg69

Do you still like your remodeled kitchen?

kelleg69
6 years ago

I feel like kitchen trends change fairly quickly. I am curious if most people like all their choices a few years later. If you remodeled less than 10 years ago, are you still happy? Do you feel like any of your choices look "dated?" I am not as curious about function, more about finishes...thanks in advance.

Comments (24)

• eld6161
    6 years ago

Funny, I was just thinking about this today. We remodeled in 2009 and I still love to walk into my kitchen.

I have a white kitchen, cream subway tiles, and Giallo Ornamental granite. Although the grays and marbles are currently in favor, I don't think my kitchen looks dated as I still see people using granite and subway tiles.

kelleg69 thanked eld6161
  • sas95
    6 years ago

We did our kitchen 6+ years ago. Green and cream cabinets, tan quartz countertops. A multicolored earth toned backsplash with greens and creams and tans. It wasn't trendy then and it isn't now (though I have read that green cabs are done more these days). Anyway, we still love our kitchen. It fits our home, it is not like anyone else's kitchen and it is exactly my taste. I don't think I will ever tire of it.

kelleg69 thanked sas95
  • dovetonsils
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We remodeled in 2013 and I really liked it until I started to read GardenWeb/Houzz threads and found out all of the things I should have done. ;-)

kelleg69 thanked dovetonsils
  • lisapoi
    6 years ago

We remodelled about 3 years ago and I still LOVE my kitchen!! We chose medium brown cabinets, medium brown hardwood, creamy Blanco Romano granite, an island with main sink, tiny prep sink next to the stove, and drawers everywhere. And best of all, we opened up the wall between the kitchen and dining room to create one large wonderfully functional room! Love it all!

kelleg69 thanked lisapoi
  • kaismom
    6 years ago

My kitchen was remodeled in 2010 with Henrybuilt cabinets using vertical grain fir and grey laminate. It fits our house and my personal aesthetics. It fits how we live our life. My house is unusual not something that is ever "in fashion" or will be "out dated".

I personally feel that if the house is cohesive in design choices, it ages gracefully.

kelleg69 thanked kaismom
  • Jeanette Vey
    6 years ago

Did our kitchen about 3 years ago. White cabinets,Terra Bianca quartzite, porcelain wood look floors. Only thing I am sorry about is that we spent extra for glazing the cabinets,sorry I did it. Otherwise very happy . All drawer bottoms,stainless steel sink & refrigerator,covered dishwasher, cooktop & double ovens!

kelleg69 thanked Jeanette Vey
  • leela4
    6 years ago

We remodeled in 2010, staying in the footprint but removing some walls, changing doors to the deck, and changing some windows. We have natural cherry cabinets with soapstone counters, natural maple floors, which we extended into the dining room, and a backsplash of creamy subways. I love it all still, with the exception of the mosaic we put behind the range, which is iridescent glass. It didn't occur to us that the iridescence would not be as striking without light falling on it directly, which doesn't really happen unless the hood lights are on. I would love to change that out (someday), but DH still really likes it so I am okay with it.

In a way it's hard for me to separate out form from function because the functional changes we made have made the space exponentially better.

kelleg69 thanked leela4
  • aliris19
    6 years ago

We remodeled in 2010 and it feels like yesterday. I didn't really do anything for the looks, or if I did, ... hmmm..... there is one thing. I made a piano-shaped island with a specially-beveled edge that I thought would look like the roll top cover to a piano but absolutely no one ever sees that and I'm left with really disliking the curved beveling. I cook a lot and wipe the counter a lot and it all just slides off and halfway over. I much prefer the straight edges.

However, that's also functional and not pure look. I think the question has to be more for folks who build to a look or pattern they see in pictures. It was always only ever about functionality for me and that's as fabulous now as it was then. Thanks GW

kelleg69 thanked aliris19
  • rebunky
    6 years ago

Yes, but I’m never doing white Painted cabinets and dark hardwood floors again. I love, LOVE, how it looks, but hate the constant cleaning for it to look beautiful.

kelleg69 thanked rebunky
  • localeater
    6 years ago

Yes. We remodeled in 2012. We relocated stove, took down a wall, removed an angled peninsula and put in an island. We replaced painted white cabinets with medium stained ones. I love it everyday. The new layout and cabinets are much more functional(drawers).

kelleg69 thanked localeater
  • Patti
    6 years ago

It's been a little over two years since our kitchen remodel was completed. Still absolutely love it, particularly our Fantasy Brown counter tops and black walnut island top. I wouldn't change anything about them. I wouldn't mind if my cabinet paint color was a smidge whiter. The color is Sherwin Williams Neutral Ground.

kelleg69 thanked Patti
  • palimpsest
    6 years ago

I did one twenty years ago and one ten years ago and I still like the esthetics of both. In each there were some functional things I might have done differently, but in each I also had a lot of restrictions. I am starting on another kitchen soon, so maybe I will get it all right third time around. However, I am an "anti trend" kind of person and concentrate on making my kitchens and baths work right for the house. (I've never owned anything newer than 50 years so I don't have to worry about the esthetics of having to recreate a kitchen from 1990 for a 1990 house or anything like that).

kelleg69 thanked palimpsest
  • aprilneverends
    6 years ago

My kitchen is not even a toddler yet, of course I like it:)

I'm not concerned with "dated" at all since I never knew the term even until a couple years ago-and when I learned it left me unimpressed, maybe because didn't live here for a long enough time to experience it. So I don't feel strong emotions -dated, updated, outdated..I either like it or not. Either works with a house or doesn't. Either done well or badly or overdone. Etcetera.

Is my kitchen my dream kitchen? no my dream kitchen-in this house- would have walnut butcherblock, very expensive handmade tiles(with flower motives of course!) and-as I realized several days ago while reading a thread here-painterly finish on cabinets

but we were adviced against butcherblock(small kitchen no island) , also walnut butcherblock probably wouldn't withstand my DH's gentle touch;

tiles, we couldn't afford(ours are still very pretty though. I'm a tile person),

and I highly suspect that even if I knew of painterly finish in time-it would somehow appear it's much more expensive. Just a gut feeling.

So yes..I think we did the best we could for the space, under the circumstanses.

And I especially love it being semi-open and not seen from the entrance anymore. And having a lot of drawers. And being very comfy and all.

It has two big windows and So Cal flora around..it reads like a very happy kitchen, and my main concern was not to spoil that but rather to create a perfect frame , part of the whole.

kelleg69 thanked aprilneverends
  • sherri1058
    6 years ago

When I renovated our kitchen in 2003, I had no idea about trends or function or gardenweb! That said, after 13 years, I did like my old kitchen (pale yellow inset cabinets, quartz counters), but I didn't like the lack of drawers and hated the ss fridge that dominated my space (even though it was only 32" wide). When I redid the kitchen last year I went with white cabinets, integrated fridge and soapstone counters. I do like the looks of this kitchen, but I don't think I am as excited about the looks of this one as I was when I was in 2003 but this one was built with specific objectives in mind.... brighter, more streamlined and better function. The fact that I've looked at tons of pictures on Houzz probably factors into my feelings of wow (or lack thereof) when looking at my kitchen.

kelleg69 thanked sherri1058
  • fouramblues
    6 years ago

Our kitchen was redone in 2012. It still looks beautiful to me, not dated. And it’s so much more functional than the old one that it’s a joy to work in!

kelleg69 thanked fouramblues
  • einportlandor
    6 years ago

Mine is four years old and still love it. The house is a 1928 cottage so I tried to keep the spirit of the era in my finish selections. Thus, I have white cabinetry, chrome fixtures, schoolhouse lights and a checkerboard marmoleum floor. The counters are dark quartz. The zing! comes from the bright mustard yellow walls.

My advice is to stick to the style of the house -- don't put a country kitchen in modern house, or a Euro kitchen in a Victorian. IMO it never really works over the long haul.

kelleg69 thanked einportlandor
  • 3katz4me
    6 years ago

I did mine in 2006 and I still love it. I didn't follow the trends at that time so it's not clearly associated with any particular timeframe and thus not dated. I got what I liked and what blended seamlessly with the rest of the house.

kelleg69 thanked 3katz4me
  • Nicole
    6 years ago

We finished in 2012 and I still love it.

kelleg69 thanked Nicole
  • rebeccamomof123
    6 years ago

Finished in 2013, white shaker cabs, white ice granite, grey subway backsplash and an overall farmhouse vibe. Love it still. Would do it exactly the same today.

kelleg69 thanked rebeccamomof123
  • powermuffin
    6 years ago

Ours is an old house, the kitchen reflects that, so not trendy. We remodeled in 2013 and it made a huge difference in functionality. Since I love to cook, I really, really needed a change and we are very pleased with the "new" kitchen.

kelleg69 thanked powermuffin
  • lisadlu16
    6 years ago

My kitchen is one year old and I still tell my husband often how much I love it! Maple veneer with very light stain, Cambria Newport quartz, and light grey floor tile. Wonderful!

kelleg69 thanked lisadlu16
  • Cathy DiVello
    6 years ago
    Our 1890 folk Victorian didn't have a kitchen to speak of. Just a stove and fridge on 1 wall and a sink in an alcove. Bumped out a wall by 6 feet, maple floors to tie with the rest of the house, white cabinets, granite and ss appliances all still look very nice. the white cabinets need more cleaning than the oak in our previous home and the ss does too. But, since we'll be selling in about a year or do, I'd do it all again.
    kelleg69 thanked Cathy DiVello
  • vicbayside
    6 years ago

I did our last kitchen here in 2009 and it was all with the help of those of you here, back then. We recently left that house of 30 years and I loved my kitchen, I made it my own and was worried that a buyer would not want it and some did not. Some wanted the white kitchen, the bigger kitchen etc. The one that fell in love with the house, fell in love with my kitchen. Its under vicnsb and was so much fun creating. I am recently in a new house and starting to plan out a new and very different kitchen and hope to have the help and advice of all of you again. I really believe if you create what you love and not necessarily whats popular, it will be timeless.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH