Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3088dorchester

Shiplap hall bathroom and mud closet ?

3088dorchester
6 years ago
Thoughts on shiplap in hall bath? The sink wall will be patterned tile. Shiplap would go all the way up wall. Shower would be gray crackle tile. Going with a white pedestal sink. closet turned "mud area" will be shiplap up wall and sides with bench and top storage. Also one wall in my kitchen is already shiplap

Comments (18)

• acm
    6 years ago

You really want the focus to be on the beautiful tile you've chosen -- I'd keep the other walls simple, a nice eggshell paint.

• 3088dorchester
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    real shiplap right?
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

en.wikipedia.org

Shiplap is the building material everyone's talking about, thanks to Chip and Joanna Gaines of HGTV's Fixer Upper, who use it on pratically everything. ... A little light internet research reveals that shiplap is a kind of wooden board that's often used for constructing sheds, barns, and other rustic buildings.Jun 26, 2017 Is this really what you want in a bathroom I do not think so

• 3088dorchester
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I'm not anti shiplap, from your posts you are. I have seen it look nice regardless of what it was typically used for. Just wondering about it in my space. Thanks for your input though
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

if done right it looks good. just make sure to use proper primer/paint and good ventilation.

as for the tile, make sure the depths are equal or it could be a prob. What's going on the floor?

how are you doing the tile wall behind sink? just halfway and then ship lap above that?

• Matt Man
    6 years ago
    Shiplap will not be fun to remove when the trend has changed.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

once again,, very helpful advice matt. oh, and kind too.

• Matt Man
    6 years ago
    My apologies, if I installed shiplap I would use construction adhesive and 15 gauge angle nails to prevent any cracking where paint or caulk has filled the crack.This would destroy the wall behind.My opinion
  • Matt Man
    6 years ago
    Not real familiar with paint though, Beth what is this proper primer that needs ventilation?
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago

“Real” ship lap was meant to repel water/moisture. If you install something resembling, but not with the right edge, it will not hold up in a bathroom. I tried..it swelled; it contracted; and every spring I had the painter come back to fill the cracks.

Maybe helpful:

http://thecraftsmanblog.com/no-joanna-thats-not-shiplap/

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

matt, sigh. c'mon, you really aren't that slow, are you? proper ventilation in the bathroom. go back and try and read it carefully. primer/paint AND proper ventilation.

Are you stalking me Matt? seems like you just love to personally attack my comments on numerous threads. better stop or " they'll say we're in love" .. Hannibal

• 3088dorchester
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    This is a pick of what would be used. It says shiplap siding on the back. Beth, the patterned tile will go all the way up the wall behind the sink
  • 3088dorchester
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    beth, patterned tile will also be on the floor
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

3088,,ah, ok. so tile all the way to ceiling behind sink, and the shiplap on all the other walls? similar to the first pic I posted except tile behind the sink. I can't find a pic of what you're describing, But I like the idea.

• 3088dorchester
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    beth, yes that was my plan
  • lhutch13
    6 years ago
    My question: do you have boys? They may stain any ship lap in any proximity to the toilet.
  • 3088dorchester
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Not in this world. but that is a good point to consider