Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jillvilla82

Converting Den to bedroom- what to do with fireplace/mantle

jillvilla82
6 years ago
We need an extra bedroom so have decided to convert a room on the first floor to a bedroom. It is currently a den/music room. It is a smallish room, but adequate for a double bed and wardrobe (since there is no closet), however, the fireplace is at an angle which makes the space kind of awkward.

Speaking of the fireplace...it's pretty ugly. The insert is gas and doesn't work (the gas is shut off for safety) and we intend to replace it eventually, but for now...cover it? With a screen for example? Perhaps put the bed against it and treat it like a headboard?

I have zero desire to paint it (because I know long term I'll regret it) and a small budget so no refacing it either. I would be willing to paint the mantle. It's already painted a hideous green/tan sponged camouflage effect. Ugliest. Paint job. Ever.

I can't take photos of the rest of the room right now Bc we have some stuff in there but I'll try to move it so you all can get a glimpse of the entire space.

Comments (10)

• PRO
    The Studio Decor Centre
    6 years ago

Depending on the size of the space you might consider using ply wood and 2x4 to cover the fireplace for the meantime and make a shelving unit. Simple and cost efficient solution - also giving storage (just be sure the lines are off of course). Would be built out a bit but may be an option?

Floor plan and more images would be great!

Looking forward to more images.

• Angel 18432
    6 years ago

I would work with it. Is the room going to be used by a male or female?

• jillvilla82
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Ok, per your request, here are more photos. Please, try to ignore the all the big bulk items. It's heavy equipment that I can't move, and, it's not mine to mess around with so bear with me. Also, the room is dark. It's on the west side of the house and has a row of arborvitae right outside. It gets hardly any natural light. Obviously, it's night time in the pictures but it's *always* dark.

No, we aren't planning on painting-the room is intended for a 13 yr old boy, and he LOVES that color. He has coordinated his bedding and decor around it and purchased a rug (not the one that's there, if it's shown at all.)

The artwork and posters, etc, as well as the dark bookshelf and desk will all be removed. I realize the height/scale/placement of the art is all wrong. Please, go easy on me, as I mentioned, this stuff in here isn't mine.

I appreciate the compliment on the woodwork-it is custom designed crown molding with picture rail below it. We paid tons of money to have the original horsehair plaster (from 1908) replicated and restored when we suffered water damage 3 yrs ago from a leaky roof. I had picture rail installed so there would be no reason to put holes in it to hang artwork.

FYI-when we did the demo
    Post water damage, that fireplace wall had 1/4 in drywall hiding rustic 1970's paneling. Unfortunately, the paneling was securing a crumbling wall behind it, so we opted to repair the drywall and save $$$$ we didn't get from the insurance co. to begin with. Whatever we do to that wall, we must be mindful of its...layers.
  • PRO
    The Studio Decor Centre
    6 years ago

Okay, I did a very basic floorpan (as best as I can based on images). As well as a conceptual sketch of an elevation of the fireplace wall.

It's hard to tell the scale but I put a desk in the flat wall next to the fireplace for homework and the fireplace I turned into a shelving unit. I would square it off based on the gas front and put shelves for storage (toys, books, storage baskets etc) I would put a piece of art - maybe favourite superhero, whatever his heart desires :) Or you can continue the shelves but usually kids and high things don't mix haha

Not sure the depth you'll need you may want the full depth of the brick on the floor or half? But whichever you choose I would either carpet the whole room (as best you can for a temporary fix) or put a small carpet over the exposed brick (if there is any left) on the floor.

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

Who will use this bedroom; guests, a child, you?

• jillvilla82
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    It's for my 13 yr old son. We are running out of bedrooms upstairs so we are moving him to the first floor. Ya know, since he's the only one of our 4 kids that isn't still afraid of the dark. ;-)
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Do you have room measurements? Can't do much without those details. From the photos, I would say a twin daybed might be a good choice. I would just leave the fireplace alone. However, I would keep the daybed framing extremely simple. You will need every inch you can get. With a trundle type set up, he can pull out the lower mattress for a sleep over. Our grandsons, however, are perfectly fine with a air mattress and sleeping bag. You might want to consider a very simple set up for now and get the room set up to where it is usable and he can kind of help design what he likes. Every piece of furniture should be multi-purpose. Might look at beds with drawer storage below mattress. How about a bunk bed with open desk and storage underneath. Lots of options out there. And many are very inexpensive.

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

Just some jumping off places...

• PRO
    The Studio Decor Centre
    6 years ago

@jillvilla82 I would check the length of that wall and make sure you have clearance on all sides - or push it against the window wall so you'll have more room.

Personally as a child my friends and I would just 'deal' with whatever was available haha! Air mattresses, squishing into 1 twin or double bed whatever it took LOL