Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
devhice

help with exterior color

Devon
6 years ago
The husband and I bought our first house about 6 months ago. We really want to paint the exterior of the home and put all the shutters back on, and maybe paint them too. The problem is we can’t decide on a color scheme we love. Please help. Right now it’s a faded yellow with faded black shutters and brown shingles.

Comments (26)

• wysmama
    6 years ago
    Sorry I'm not great at choosing colors, but I wanted to say, you have an adorable family! Love the pic with the sold sign!
  • just_terrilynn
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hey congratulations! Could you give us an idea of your region and colors your neighbors are using or what you like?

• Devon
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We are in arkansas in a small town. We live in a super nice neighborhood. Unfortunately we are one of the only two houses on the block that are not brick. All the houses are basically the same like grey brick or red brick.
  • Devon
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We like the idea of having a color that’s not like the rest on the block. But I’ve always loved home and garden magazine and have always wanted a home that would be breathtaking. We will have flowers growing in front come spring.
  • deegw
    6 years ago

Your house has lots of potential! What do you think of this combo? White trim, tan house, brown shutters.

Dark brown, white trim, black shutters

Blue with white trim and white shutters

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

How about a nice crisp white with black shutters?

P Allen Smith's Garden Home · More Info
    One thing I absolutely would do is beef up those front porch posts.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

There was just a thread on green houses which looked beautiful : ) .

• Fori
    6 years ago

Can all the trim around the windows be painted? I could see a sage green (it's probably out-of-fashion now. I dunno! But it's nice.) with all white trim. Maybe black-green shutters? You might not need shutters once you get stuff growing.

This house would go so well with a cottage style garden. I hope you are documenting your progress. :)

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    6 years ago

Groveraxle, that looks nice. Clean and simple. Great backdrop for a flower garden.

• Devon
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I love that groveraxle. Looks great. I’m going to show tho to my husband and see what he thinks. As far as the dog goes, we already have one in our extra large fenced in back yard. Haha.
  • Devon
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Fori, I’m going to have to look into cottage style gardens. I know that I’m planning to have beautiful flowers up front.
  • Devon
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    D_gw, I love the dark brown and blue one. My husband is a little put off when it comes to dark colors. He thinks it would be too hot in the summers.
  • flopsycat1
    6 years ago

Grover’s rendering + a garden. Perfect. ( can you post a pic which includes the front door? A color for that might be nice.)

• mom2hsm
    6 years ago

voting for the dark brown with white trim and black shutters...and congratulations on your new house! You will never be bored :) as there is always a project to be done!!!

• deegw
    6 years ago

I lived in South Georgia and we had a light tan house that we changed to dark blue. I never noticed a difference in the inside temperature. It looks like you have some nice shade trees too.

White would look great but I like how a clean darker color on a house can add presence and instant curb appeal. If you want lots of flowers in front they will show up better against a white house.

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

I would do something like this.

EXCEPT...

I would do the body in Behr Lima Green

White Trim on window surrounds and trim.

And, Behr Chicory Root for the door, posts and shutters.

I think the Chicory Root would look nice with your roof color and maybe blend with some of the brick homes in the neighborhood ?

The green is a happy green and goes well with surrounding vegetation and knew plantings.

The white will make it all pop.

• bpath
    6 years ago

D_gw, the second house you posted has been a favorite of mine for years. I may still have the magazine it was featured in, somewhere. The inside is as charming as the outside, but what the angle of the photo doesn't show is the two-story addition in back. If I recall, it's in San Diego, but would look perfect almost anywhere (except maybe the desert).

Devon, congratulations on your new house! It's going to be charming!

• deegw
    6 years ago

bpathome - Here is one of my favorites from a town where I used to live and it's very similar to your favorite : ) The homeowner picked the color scheme back when turquoise and brown were popular but it still works because the house is in a beach town.

• Devon
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I was wrong. Our roof is dark grey. Just had a ten minute argument with my husband about it lol. He won’t the argument. It is not brown
  • just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

This roof is Gray? Sorry, I missed the part where you may have said there was a new different roof. Are you sure it doesn't just look gray in dirty parts when the sun is down?

• Devon
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    No I just out and checked. It just looks brown in the picture.
  • just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Please ignore the attempt at landscape. I don't have time to do it properly. If you don't like this it's all good because you can at least eliminate colors you don't want. I didn't finish the right side as it doesn't show in your photo. Could you beef up the porch posts a bit?

• Devon
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Oh I love that justerrilynn. I’m showing my husband this. I didn’t even think about adding flower boxes too
  • just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

I don't think I got the door area right. Couldn't really tell if that bit I was seeing was a door or part of a shutter. You will just have to use your imagination on that part.

• Devon
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I think my husband and I really like this.