Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsnason

Glass wall in foyet: lose it or leave it?

dsnason
10 years ago
This is our foyer and truthfully I don't care for the glass wall, it's too contemporary. The previous owners put it in and behind the wall you walk down into the basement. We can easily dry wall this area and paint this wall and put a small table, etc. Good idea?

Also the black carpet has to go, I am not sure if the stairs are hardwood but I think they are. We can recarpet or place a runner depending on what we find.

How can I easily update the banister? Can I paint it? It has some sort of metallic paint now. What kind of paint do you use for a Project like this? Is it a big task to get a whole new railing?

Thank you!!

Comments (38)

• PRO
    Linda
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    What is the width between the sides of the "frames" in the railing? It looks to be quite wide.

That glass wall is a bit unusual and I can understand why you might not like it...Try blocking it off with temporary paint (like the stuff used for decorating store windows) or fabric. I think you'll easily tell whether that is enough change to suit your idea of what the space looks like or whether you wish to go ahead and think about changing out the entire railing as well.
  • motownmom
    10 years ago
    That really is a nice foyer area.

RE: bannister. I have wrought iron right now, and it was already painted white when we moved in. I haven't changed it because to be honest, while I can do a lot of DIY stuff, the proper instructions I've seen available with leveling the entire thing and getting the bannister posts accurate is simply something I don't want to stress over. It would probably require an established carpenter and it was not on the top of my list for remodels. And mine covers an area of only 5 steps. I have seen, however, that wrought iron and metal bannisters are making a comeback, so it's not that it's outdated, it's simply something you like or not. I'm sure if you wanted to do it in white it would look nice, but I'd wait until you have completed the wall and stairs to see how it appears to you.

Steps: If you have wood in other areas of your home then hardwood would look good. I have hardwood steps going up from my living room area to the upstairs, and faces of the steps are white, which matches the paint in the area surrounding it.

Glass wall: It's all matter of personal preference. I think it's a nice design feature and you could decorate the same way you would if it were a non-glass wall. It's unique and sometimes a unique feature like that is ok to keep around.

Good luck.
  • Brigitte Fournier
    10 years ago
    i love it very different, i would get someone in to give u ideas, so much u can do with this wow love it!!
  • Cat Rowe
    10 years ago
    Dry wall over the glass on both sides, love the table ideas. Please see my Foyer idea book for lots of great table suggestions. I would definitely use a dark metalic paint for the railing. It will stand out better. Good luck. Pls post pictures later!
  • Shannon Kelliher
    10 years ago
    Change it
  • hadrahana
    10 years ago
    The great thing about that glass wall is the light that it lets into the stairwell and basement. A shame to lose it. If you do it would be nice drywall it so that if you sell it is easy for someone else to restore :)

You could replace the spots with colored LEDs that would give a softer effect. I think one reason it doesn't appeal is that the color scheme is all greys and neutrals which is rather cold with the coldness of the glass.

An interesting, quite stunning effect would be to paint the wall behind the glass (down to basement) in a very strong color, this would shimmer through the glass, especially when lit.

Definitely don't like the black carpet either, wood is always nice.

You could overpaint the banisters, with proper prep etc, but you obviously need to have an idea of your general color/design scheme before you do...
  • Marysia Peters
    10 years ago
    The glass is a bit to much, with the pattern. You could change the glass to frosted glass, so you will still benefit from the light.
    And then place a side table in front of it. The railing I would paint black for a more graphic look. The carpet I wouldn't change.
    Please let us know what you have decided.
  • editoranne
    10 years ago
    I would take out the glass and drywall the area.Looks like the tile floor is gray, so I'd pick up a gray tone for the wall, then do a bench with a piece of art above it or dresser/table with a chrome lamp for some sparkle. Use a great color, like yellow or even white. I'd do a glass panel instead of a railing and put great art on the stairway wall, Or drywall up to the ceiling and use the wall to frame a bench/dresser with a huge piece of art or mirror above it. Right now, there's just no drama and the stairway is too short for a dramatic railing.
  • editoranne
    10 years ago
    Just realized the glass lets light into the basement. In that case you could get another triangle piece of glass and replace the railing, creating an architectural statement with the glass.
  • PRO
    Alicia Heyman Studio
    10 years ago
    I played with this in Photoshop ...changed the wall and trim color ... and it didn't help it much. So I would paint the railing black. Like a black wrought iron finish. If you can find the right paint it would be easy. Right now the railing just disappears. So there is no balance against all those other strong features.

the other thing is that I would experiment with color on that stairway wall. Something bold. OR make it a picture gallery but use very simple black frames. If you have some big pictures it would balance the glass wall and make that wall seem just like part of the gallery.

THEN, put a bench or something in front of the glass wall. Something contemporary. Would give you a stopping place. Maybe find the right table?... give that area a use. A place to drop mail. Is that an entry you use all the time? A charging station...something. Maybe a metal base table that works with the railing.
  • PRO
    Alicia Heyman Studio
    10 years ago
    hmmmm...looking the other way (up the stairs) I'm afraid black paint railing would disappear against the black carpet. I think I would paint the stairs white and cut the carpet to just be a runner up the stairs. You could fold the edges or put edge trim on the carpet.
  • PRO
    Scott Design, Inc.
    10 years ago
    One possible scenario...Is it a finished basement and will you be bringing guests and spending time in this lower level? If so, I would consider an open three story railing. Remove the glass wall completely as well as the current railing. Then continue a new railing from the 2nd floor down to the foyer, across the open area under the stairs and then down to the lower level. This approach adds stature to your foyer providing a 3 story visual, opens the space, and brings the lower level into the living area with a much improved access. Call a mill shop that builds stairs and no doubt they will come out and give you feedback and costs for such a project. If this is something you would like to do eventually, then keep it in mind when you make other changes.
  • msmliss
    10 years ago
    LOVE the black marble tile floor AND the railing, and the wall treatment up the stairs!
    Is this glass back-lighted? : O How dramatic! I like it and think it would be a shame to drywall over! What is your style? Is this house modern? I'd seriously look into one of the many abstract vinyl options for over the glass before I'd remove it.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    Somehow I see something rather unique in this :) It gives light , it gives depth and to the creative minds it gives creativity . This glass can be looked at in so many positive ways rather then negative ones. If there is a light going down the stairs or even a simple night light you could create art with this glass , for example have the glass etched into a mural and the light behind it will reflect on it giving your foyer a special touch ,for the stairs , just get a runner to cover the black carpet it will look so majestic if you did that instead of taking the carpet down,I know that dark colours show everything on them ,but when kept clean they sure are and give that elegant touch .
    Art-Glass Window · More Info

Architecture and Interior Design · More Info
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    I have seen this done with interesting branches placed just behind the glass and then uplit - it creates beautiful shadows. However, the pattern on the glass would probably be too much going on..
  • PRO
    ReMax - Lisa
    10 years ago
    The railing is an easy fix. Can be painted with a metal paint like Rustoleum. Ive used a flat black finish and its lasted for 10 years so far. I like the glass panel and the light it gives to the basement stairwell. Maybe it's the swirly pattern that is throwing you off? Try one of the cheap peel and stick films in a pattern you like temporarily, or just frosted, and if you like it better, then you can have the glass replaced. A cheap way to determine anyway.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    I would paint that area to pick up the grey of the tiles this will make the glass blend in much better,sometimes a solution if found in a can of paint and a brush :)
  • msmliss
    10 years ago
    Love the drama of the art glass window, Genevieve!
  • PRO
    Gantt's Decorating
    10 years ago
    I like Genevieve's idea. I'll take it one step farther. If you want a similar effect and like to do things yourself, and save money: try this. I discovered quite by accident that if you stencil glass with polyurethane you get a frosted design. It should last 6 or seven years. If stenciling is too much you could mask off a geometric style or fine stripes. If you don't like it or grow tired of it scrape it off with a razor blade like you would over runs of paint.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Unique it is, but in this case to me this unique feature does nothing for the foyer at all. If you are not leaning towards having a contemporary home then I would take it out and drywall and put something that you will enjoy like an entrance table, or a hall bench. I think you will get more enjoyment walking into your home and seeing a decorative piece of furniture of some kind , something that is functional and will add to the foyer.
  • msmliss
    10 years ago
    That's why I suggested a vinyl, Gantt. You've got some real support for updating what you have dsnason! : )
  • dsnason
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for all the ideas! I am amazed so many people like it! I think step one is to get rid of the black carpet, a light and durable runner would look nice. Genevieve, I like the picture you posted. Then we can see where we are. The house is modern, circa 1990, this area is beige and black. The floor is a dark green marble (I think it's marble). i agree they build this to have a dramatic effect and light up the stairwell into the basement. @Scott Design that is an interesting idea about extending the stairs into the basement. There is barely a railing down there. We do use it alot since we have young kids and they are down there playing. Other than that there's a light wood panelling down there and that needs some work too!

the paint on the walls (which extend into the hallway upstairs) is all hand painted a very cool alligator-looking pattern. I can't bring myself to painting over it all just yet. Maybe I can just paint the back wall on the stairs only and leave some other walls as they are. if we go with drywall to cover the glass, we can always uncover it down the road and maybe appreciate it more as our taste changes over the years. TBD! I will post pictures when we are done. Thanks again for the suggestions!!
  • kitter
    10 years ago
    Replace plain glass with clear, textured glass (bubble, swirl, etc.) Will let light through but not be as stark. Check out at stained glass materials' suppliers for largest range of options.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    I give it all that I had :) I see potentials in many things and try to find solutions if there seems to be a dilemma and believe me yours is not a dilemma ,before taking it down paint that wall the same green as the tile and then make up your mind . I rather see light then darkness :))
  • PRO
    Alicia Heyman Studio
    10 years ago
    WOW I LOVE Scott Design, Inc.'s idea!! Open it up. ...Is the basement finished? Takes away all the flaws of the current design and gives it a function.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    You can leave it. Though I don't like it. Hide it with a huge potted palm.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Can you just replace railing it' looks dated. Go a black rod iron with dark wood railings. Remove black carpet. Hope you find wood. It's the way to go. You could dry wall glass. But still use tree instead of table.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    If doing wood. demo black tile if not. cover with large round area rug. A rug with some black to tie in tile if leaving.
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    I think it interesting. If you keep it, that glass will influence your decor, so if you don't like it and do not want this contemporary feeling for your home, remove it.

If you leave it all, my issue is with the walls. I would rather see you take what you have and go black and white with accents of color.
    Rocky Ledge Stair with View · More Info
  • outing
    10 years ago
    I think you should take down the glass, and put in built in bookshelves. I am sure I have seen photos of staircase bookshelves on Houz. At least it wouldn't be such a waste of real estate.
  • Margie
    10 years ago
    Yes, Get rid of the glass
  • K T
    10 years ago
    lose it ! or buy a piece of beautiful stained glass to make it an art piece in the home.
  • Momof5x
    10 years ago
    I would lose it. Try something like this if possible:

Stonebreaker Builders & Remodelers · More Info

Case Design/Remodeling, Inc. · More Info

Graceful Gambrel · More Info

West Village Brownstone, New York, NY · More Info
  • dsnason
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @nancyreese, that photo does look good! Thanks for that.
    @travisinteriors, I like the idea of the black rod iron railing with wood railings (and no black carpet). Question is where do you find something like this? Can a general contractor typically do this kind of work? Thanks!
  • PRO
    Persian Crafts
    10 years ago
    Check these rugs too. They are hand woven Persian rugs on sale with free shipment. For more information and receiving our catalogs mail us at:
    thepersiancrafts@gmail.com
  • User
    10 years ago
    If you are on budget, I would do the handrail first. Changing it will improve the look the most. you have gotten some great ideas!
  • Christina Brine
    10 years ago
    Love the glass... contains noise from below, allows for another heat zone... allows light downstairs... and visually opens up the space... brilliant! I love the idea of putting lights inside so that the stairs below are a dramatic accent at night... also brilliant. The railing is very cool... just needs to be a different color... verdigris... gorgeous! The stair treads... the visible part of the treads could be verdigris... this will give a nice solid foundation for the railing. Also... frame the window in verdigris. And then add vertical strips of verdigris colored wood... as in the photo that Genevive posted. The vertical strips will look like paneling or board & batten... depending on the thickness & distance. Both effects are classic looks.
Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone