Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
07cooper

Moving the laundry to under the stairs - will that work?

07Cooper
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

No longer in the middle of the main living areas plus its in the bedroom wing. Also easy to vent as its on an outside wall. I will add a window. Any issues with headroom? These are front loading machines that usually sit on a pedestal.

I had to move the door to the master (red rectangles) so the laundry wasn't in the master bedroom. Any suggestions on how to break up the long hallway?

House Plan · More Info

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

Side by side washer and dryer need approximately 60" of clear area. Then there's the issue of storage and a counter top with lower and upper cabs. Often there's a closet for broom, vacuum, mop, and shelves for cleaner, wax, soap and the like.

Where will you put all these things in the plan above?

If you reversed the W&D and relocated them on the wall separating the laundry from the closet, you could add a small closet with built-ins under the stairs.

• 07Cooper
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Virgil I put the washer and dryer on that wall under the stairs to leave the opposite wall open for a closet and hanging space. It sounds like there won't be enough space to have the w&d where it is. I just posted another thread about possibly downsizing the build so this could be a moot point.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

Well...it's not at all clear to me why you couldn't simply relocate the W&D on the opposite wall, change the door location and have usable space on the opposite wall under the stairs.

In the current design, you don't have room for anything on the wall shared with the bedroom closet, and you're losing all the space under the stairs.

Do you have an architect?

• 07Cooper
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Do you have an architect?

Yes, and the exciting news is he is planning to start on the redesign next week. I will ask him to look at putting the laundry in the bedroom wing. Hopefully he can come up with a viable solution.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

If you have an architect, s/he will quickly give you some ideas. If you have a drafter or CAD operator, they will ask you what you want to do. Good luck!