Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

Found a great blog! Lots of info about "trends"!

Anglophilia
6 years ago

<http://www.theglampad.com/2018/01/the-glam-pads-anti-trend-month-in-review.html>;

Found this last night. It totally speaks to me. I love this issue about "trends". For all of you who are painting everything gray or beige, or putting up shiplap or barn doors, PLEASE READ THIS!

BTW, the pictures of rooms done 20-30 years old, still look wonderful. They ARE timeless and still bring much joy.

Comments (45)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    6 years ago

Thanks for the link. It's a good read!

• jellytoast
    6 years ago

Link didn't work for me ... "page not found"

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

Same here, it's still not working.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    6 years ago

Just below the error message click on home page

• eastautumn
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Interesting article with fun picures. I suspect many young people would probably consider the rooms in the article "dated" rather than "timeless," but I think they look cozy (albeit a little fussy for my taste).

I wonder if in 50 years or so people in the older generation will be writing articles about how all white and gray interiors with lots of reclaimed wood and shiplap is "timeless" while the young people will be decorating with riotous color ;)

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I can't image all the gray and ship lap will ever be considered timeless as it's just plain not good design. It's faddish - think comparing something that's from H&M to something by Chanel.

Young people have zero interest in educating themselves about good design, wherther it be an Eames chair or a period George III one. They just like that it's available on Wayfair and they can have it right away - oh, and their neighbor has one exactly like it. Shelter magazines are dying due to this lack of interest in educating ones eye.

One is not born recognizing what is good design - one learns either by living with it, visiting it, or seeing it in books and magazines. None of this is happening today, even among people with very deep pockets.

When my parents got married in 1940, they were in their 30's -quite old for that era. But newly wed couples studied the various styles of sofas, learned about the construction of such, and bought the best they could afford. It was in a size that could fit in a small apt or small house, but move on to a bigger one if that came to pass. They fully expected it to last their entire marriage. Now, they go out on a Sat to someplace with low prices and purchase a god-awful enormous soda or sectional. They fully expect to replace it in 5 years - they will have to as it's garbage. And that's just fine with them.

Tract houses, tract furniture but it must be hot because they saw it on HGTV.

• DYH
    6 years ago

I love character in homes. The bloggers seems to find a lot of material that appeals to me. Thanks for the link.

• User
    6 years ago

Eh, not timeless, dated. Just more examples of fussy, stuffy, rich-old-white-lady style, all that chintz, porcelain dogs and heavy curtains (with valances), nope, not for me, I like rooms you can relax in, and those are not it.

• tinam61
    6 years ago

"For all of you who are painting everything gray or beige, or putting up shiplap or barn doors" unless that is what you truly like!!! I'm not a trend follower, but I do like shiplap in certain homes (especially farmhouse style).

ETA: OK, I just went and skimmed through the pics. NOT rooms I love. I do love many of the elements in some of the rooms but as mentioned above, too overdone, and too fussy. Too much of everything in most of the rooms. I do not consider those rooms timeless.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    6 years ago

Beautiful rooms, but not practical or attainable for most. Can’t hide money.

• tenamarie123
    6 years ago

"I can't image all the gray and ship lap will ever be considered timeless as it's just plain not good design. It's faddish - think comparing something that's from H&M to something by Chanel."

It's not good design? Why because you don't like it? Isn't all decorating subjective? You don't like gray or shiplap but think someone who does is only trying to follow a trend and likes bad design? That just doesn't make any sense to me and no I do not have shiplap in my house. But if I did, it would be because I LIKE it, not because I want to be following a trend. Thing is, the more we see things, the more we like things right? Do you still wear "mom" jeans? Or do you follow the style of the day and perhaps wear "skinny" or "boot cut" jeans? Is your house full of Edwardian furnishings? Or have you followed the "trend" of furnishings that came after that? Or after that? Everything is a "trend" people!

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

it's a nice article

pictures, are less important to me-it's an article(or rather a post)-everybody and his favorites, I'm interested in text when it comes to articles

I know and love that quote "Be yourself, everybody else is taken"

I agree-from my limited life experience-that redecoration that takes place that often, is a very local thing. Why? I don't know. Probably several factors at play

I personally would feel a need to change something only if broken or was a compromise from the very beginning. (say our sofas-were a bit of a compromise. The circumstances dictated fastness with certain items. (tables and such, I hunted on Craigslist for months. Sofas, I needed faster, for family reasons..also takes time to deliver these so had to account for it)

It was very hard to find something normal and comfortable within reasonable price range. Even expensive wasn't neccessarily comfortable. 5K-and your back hurts within 5 min. Seating is really personal..

So. I'd like a different sectional, ideally. For example. Ours works-but it, I can see going, at some point. Its quality is okay but not great either. It being made in Italy and all..I'd expect better quality.

Or the ottoman-that frankly I never liked much but my DH loves it..I covered it with a cantha throw for now. After many years of living with it as is. This one, I'd try to reupholster maybe, but not sure worth the effort. Just an ordinary ottoman.

Or a guest bed-not my style at all. It just the best I could find (second hand) in terms of real comfortable sleeping for real humans, you know:) Or I'd pay thousands..also a possibility..))

I can fall in love with something that I saw and never was much exposed to it before, or as my life changes I want to reflect my changes too..travels, memories, stages of life-they'll find their expression.

I kinda want my place to reflect whatever my family is

• deegw
    6 years ago

If people decorate with trends and are happy with their rooms then I am not going to judge.

Everyone's priorities are different. Good decorating can be done inexpensively but it is always time consuming. If someone has limited time and a small budget and they run to Target and grab the chevron pillows it's really none of my business.

And really, the blogger's version of "timeless" decorating is also its own trend. It's like teenagers who identify with certain groups and look down on others. Despite what they think, they aren't being unusual or special because they are aligning themselves with a chosen group's expectations.

• hooked123
    6 years ago

I enjoyed the article, but the rooms didn’t appeal to me. I simply don’t like so much stuff in a room. My husband is Japanese and I do prefer that aesthetic. I really do like Phoebe Howard’s designs. Her rooms balance traditional pieces with a little edge and not too many accessories. That’s the beauty of design everyone gets an opinion. I have trendy pieces and some not trendy pieces and I will say that I cherish my non trendy pieces more, Interior Design is personal. When I met my Interior Designer I gave her a file filled with pictures of rooms that were traditional English Country, that was my I don’t like file. Sometimes those rooms are truly gorgeous but Asian and other aesthetics can be too.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

"It's like teenagers who identify with certain groups and look down on others. Despite what they think, they aren't being unusual or special because they are aligning themselves with a chosen group's expectations."-very true

that's why after certain time one figures out what appeals to him...will undergo some changes since he himself will undergo some changes..but the core things will continue to appeal.

so I'm not that concerned what "timeless" is.."timeless" is local, individual, you name it. Timeless is something you can be inspired with regardless. Like a very good book. Or a very good actress. A book, you can re-read many times..as you age you find something new yet about it. A very good actor-whoever he plays, he's believable, you feel things-whether he's a villain or a good guy or a comical figure. Timeless is something that constantly changes yet stays the same in its ability to deeply touch you. How it looks like, or what genre it is, or what are the facial features-not the point, really.

• hooked123
    6 years ago

You nailed it April! You have an amazing writing style that resonates with readers.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

you're really too kind sabbath..thank you.

• hooked123
    6 years ago

April and d_gw truly are great writers! It’s so funny about teens...I have one that does look down on this or that style of clothes not realizing that she is exactly like her friends. A great, comical example is when she told me to look around, we were at a coffee shop, she said your pants don’t look like the other women’s pants. They were Talbot’s trouser cut pants with a full leg. Not a month later she said well I am seeing more women wear full leg trousers so the pants are ok now....REALLY...with my body shape those pants will always work for me regardless of if they are in style at that moment. I think a full leg trouser always looks great with heels...my opinion only.

• roarah
    6 years ago

As one who prefers more formal rooms at heart I do appreciate much of the decor featured in her blog but I also have an appreciation that it is not to everyone's liking.

What is timeless is acceptance that things change but I do not have to sell my soul to fit in. Or acceptance that although I do not like fussy I can accept others keep it because they do. Not judging other's taste and choices and not getting defensive when your choices fade in popularity is timeless.

I find anytime a poster mentions not liking something, open concept, fussy decor, grey decor, white kitchens, oak kitchens, etc other posters who still rightly like those things take it as a personal attack and start criticizing the opposit of their likes. We are not suppose to all like the same things or function the same ways. Individualism is classically timeless not individual styles.

• tackykat
    6 years ago

Roarah, that was perfectly stated. On these boards, and also in real life, I have noticed a knee-jerk defensiveness if a poster/speaker does not like the same thing as someone else. It's a free country, people!

• Olychick
    6 years ago

I was shocked that those rooms are considered timeless! They look fussy and dated and pretty much unlivable to me. They look, for the most part, like they belong in a museum. I wonder, when those styles first appeared, what kind of disdain the previous generations thought of them? Too trendy, not "classic" enough? I can also imagine the folks of that era of decorating, criticizing MCM design when it became popular. It seems like if there weren't trends, we'd never see anything new, or interesting, or FUN!

• User
    6 years ago

I find that these "classic rooms" are lovely. However, I'm 99.9% certain that the owners pay someone to do the housekeeping.

I'm sure that my own taste is influenced by whether or not I'll be able to keep it clean.

(gets back to her date with the vacuum)

Also this quote smacks of snobbish b.s. to me......

"Those who expressed fatigue pointed largely to the overabundance of mass produced blue and white porcelain as having become overdone. Designer Suzanne Tucker aptly responded, “I still love blue and white – it’s timeless and classic. But to go out and buy a bunch of cheap blue and white knock offs just to cluster them together because one sees it in magazines qualifies for ‘trendy’."

• lascatx
    6 years ago

The link to the article didn't work for me either, but I went to the home page of the blog -- some of the photos had elements I liked, but not one room I would want to live with. But I am not a trend follower either. In fact, I cringe a little anytime someone asks about what is currently trendy or what will be the next trend, but mostly because that person isn't focusing on what they like and what makes them most comfortable. But that happens with timeless and classic too. To me, that seems like a waste of money. Trends do, however, impact availability and accessibility.

I'm with April & Co. ;-)

• eastautumn
    6 years ago

I love April's analogy to books and movies. There are some that have resonated with me at every stage of life so they are timeless to me and probably to some others of my generation, but some people don't even "get" them, just as I don't "get" the science fiction and fantasy books and movies that my husband and daughter love. I wouldn't say they're in poor taste just because I don't appreciate them though.

I agree that timeless is very subjective, and what is timeless to one person is not necessarily so to someone who was brought up in a different environment with different circumstances and experiences. It's very easy for me to imagine young kids these days who are being raised in homes with what the older generation considers trendy decor to eventually consider what they grew up with to be timeless. Maybe it's because I'm in between the chintz and chevron/ikat generations... I could easily have guessed when the rooms in the article were decorated by the lavish use of chintz alone. When I think of chintz, I think of Nancy Reagan and my grandmas. When I think of chevron and ikat, I think of the young moms I know through my kids. And I think they can all be pretty when lovingly decorating a room.

Had to laugh at tenamarie's comment about "mom jeans" because fashion is another great analogy to decor. I'm of the bootcut generation myself (or at least that's what I prefer when I wear jeans), but now that skinny jeans are all the rage and I haven't jumped on that bandwagon, it's probably only a matter of time before mine will be considered "mom jeans" ;) Hairstyles are the same way, I think. I remember as a little girl thinking one of my elderly neighbors was SO beautiful because she had long, luxurious, white hair. She didn't have the short, tightly curled hair that all the other "old ladies" had, and I adored that about her. I still think of her as white hairs have started sprouting here and there on my own head, and know I'll never dye them because to me, long white hair is timeless.

• graywings123
    6 years ago

If you are getting PAGE NOT FOUND, click on the home page of the site.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    Original Author
    6 years ago

"...fussy, stuffy, rich-old-white-lady style, not practical or attainable for most." WOW! I'm not rich, but I AM an "old white lady", but I'm not fussy (what does that even mean?) or stuffy. What would you say if I commented on some of the houses people show here when asking for help, and said they house looked to me like it was "trailor trash style"? I assume I would be crucified, and rightly so! But apparently today, "old white lady" or "old white men" are perfectly acceptable comments. Really?

"Can’t hide money". Magazines don't photograph tract houses furnished from Wayfair on a very limited budget. They photograph the most beautiful rooms, filled with the best of everything. One LEARNS from this what good design looks like, and when one finds a great knock-off, it IS attainable! The picture of Mario Buatta's LR with all the dog paintings was my inspiration for my LR. But I used a 1950's Kohler sofa that came out of my father's old family home, and had it re-styled and recovered. Even though I have Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and would have killed for paintings of the, that picture caused them to be "hot" and one could not touch even the most mediocre, unsigned painting for anything less that high four figures to five figures. I had to settle for other breeds I could afford. Looking at rooms like this is how one trains ones eye! Do you think that interior designers only look at "affordable" and "low-end"? NO! They look at the best and adapt it to their client's budget.

"Everything is a "trend" people!" No, in fact it isn't. Something may have been very popular at one time or another, but something that was only a "trend" will not look good in 40 years - it will look almost embarrassing. Think avocado green and harvest gold appliances. They do not look good today, but they sure were a trend. People realized they were very limiting, thus the love of stainless today. One can change the color of the walls - even counter top and door and they still work and don't date the kitchen to a particular time.

"They look fussy and dated and pretty much unlivable to me. They look, for the most part, like they belong in a museum." Every one of these rooms is filled with very comfortable upholstered furniture. Your criticism would be correct if they were decorated in one of the various French "Louis's" style - all delicate, small chairs that look like the legs would break if a 225 pound man sat in one. They're "pretty" rooms, and most people want a pretty room. They have color and life. They reflect the lives of their owners. People have lived in rooms such as these for many, many decades, and yes, LIVED IN, not kept roped off. If one's life is very different than these people's then decorate with things that reflect YOUR OWN life and with things you love. There are people who still like to decorate their houses like these photos today. When one looks at those rooms, and the ones in the photos - some done 30-40 years ago - one cannot date which is which. Nothing jumps out and screams the date.

"However, I'm 99.9% certain that the owners pay someone to do the housekeeping." I imagine you're correct, although not always. If one can afford to decorate at the very top of the design scale, one can afford cleaning help. But some people have porcelains that are so valuable, they won't allow help to touch them, and dust the pieces themselves. Sure, bare tables, walls and floors will be the easiest to keep clean, but surely it's worth the extra effort to dust a few books or things one loves? If it's not to you, then do what suits you. I've never taken an interior design course, or read a book on the subject that included "ease of cleaning" as a criteria. But in fact, chintz curtains ARE easier to keep as they tend to repel dust and if any does gather on a valance, a Swifter duster gets it off quickly and easily.

I find it disheartening that "class warfare" quickly made its way into this discussion of trends. SO much easier to throw derogatory statements around than to actually knowledgeably discuss the subject of trends. Do people actually think that Joanna Gaines staged houses are affordable for all? If they were, the buyers they remodel these houses for would just buy all the stuff that makes them so thrilled when they do the big "reveal"! No, they can't afford it and just put their own old stuff back in and no, it sure doesn't look the same.

The National Association of Independent Schools used to take about guidelines for trustees of such schools. They talked about "The Three W's" which were "work, wealth and wisdom". A trustee needed to have two of these. The same could be said about decorating ones home. If one has the time to put into it (the "work" part), and the knowledge of what good design looks like (the "wisdom" part), they need not have the "wealth" part. They will see the potential of grandmother's sofa or chair, or one in a re-sale shop. They will buy a cheap blue/white vase and have it drilled and then wire it themselves and find a shade and have a great lamp that does not look like everyone else's. And if the children or the cat knocks it off and breaks it, they will not have much invested in it.

It would appear that today, most people either don't have the time or the inclination to do the "work" part, and can't understand why seeing the best and recognizing it is important (the "wisdom" part), and find it far easier to just say it's for "rich old white people" than to educate themselves. Be my guest...

• User
    6 years ago

First off, anglophelia, you didn't bother to quote me, or others, correctly, I'm not sure what that says about your "wisdom" or "work" of reading the posts, but, you got the quotes, and subsequent context, wrong. Posters, myself included, were referring to the blog rooms, not your house, and I have no idea why you are taking comments about someone else's blog so personally, but that's your problem. Finally, old white lady to old white lady PSA, not everyone likes the style of decorating posted in the blog, and not everyone thinks it's timeless, or that it's "seeing the best". To some of us, plenty of whom are old white ladies, that style is boring, old timey and not reflective of our taste, it is clearly yours, however, which is great for you, but not everyone aspires to that style of decorating or wants to learn the finer points of, say, coordinating valances, long fringe on upholstered pieces or how to arrange that blue and white porcelain in the utmost expression of white lady fashion.

Edited to use "expression" instead of "echelon", meant to use expression, not sure how echelon got past my old white lady eyes.

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

I really liked this room because the colors say old Florida to me. I also like it because it's a softer mix of pattern. Although I couldn't personally live with most of the examples they are all beautiful. Saying that though I unconsciously smell something musty when looking, something just short of mold. I have a bad allergy to mold and usually have to leave antique shops as my lungs fill with fluid. Because of that I have a psychological reaction just viewing the photos.

• PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    6 years ago

This is a great read! Thank you!

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    6 years ago

I am also an old white lady, and I am heartbroken to learn from the blog that now that blue and white porcelain is a “trend” it is “overused, shows lack of imagination, and is sooo over”. Add to that “ugh”.

they can’t have it both ways. My comment that you can’t hide money was meant in a lighthearted way. In any case I don’t see why it should offend you. Those rooms are only available to the very wealthy, so it’s not inaccurate. And I still like my blue and white even if it is trending.

• User
    6 years ago

I must say, anglo, that I have read many of your posts and you DO seem to talk down to the rest of us an awful lot.

I don't need to defend myself, or my comment to you or anyone. This is a discussion, I don't have to agree. I'm sorry you seem to think I (we) do.

• maddielee
    6 years ago

The rooms pictured in the blog may look lovely and 'timeless' but they would be out of place in the majority of homes that have been built since the 1930s.

They sure would not make a comfortable home for my lifestyle.

ML (old white lady who must be trendy, better tell my kids!)

• Olychick
    6 years ago

"They look fussy and dated and pretty much unlivable to me. They look, for the most part, like they belong in a museum."

Anglo, please don't tell ME what they look like to Me or that I am wrong, because that is what they look like to ME. You are entitled to a different opinion. I, and others are entitled to ours.

"can't understand why seeing the best and recognizing it is important" I think what is more important is knowing that the "best" is open to interpretation, as is its importance.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

I didn't really care for any of the rooms in this blog. That may seem strange because my all-time favorite look is English country house. That's not to say that I can't admire great modern interiors, although MCM is a fairly new concept to me and some of the shapes and colors don't resonate. The author of the blog loves Mario Buatta. I don't share that regard because he's translated the English country house look to appeal to rich American women, and to me it's overdone and no longer honest. I feel that about all the pictures in that blog, and I do think they feel fake and not terribly comfortable. It's almost like a pastiche of the real thing. There are a few great American designers who've done a great job at exporting the English look but they were not in that blog. I've shuddered about the blue and white Chinese porcelain craze because I collect the real thing, and a lot of antique Chinese porcelain is not blue and white, and these fakes are so bad I can't stand to look at them. I hope that doesn't sound elitist because I'm not rich, but rather have immersed myself in the subject and respect it deeply.

You can do any time period, or combination of periods (i.e. eclectic) if you respect the feeling of that time and, most of all, transform it into something that is not only individual but also comfortable. Without comfort there is no good decorating. You do need to know about color, spatial relationships and appropriate accessories, and then you have to be able to find the right thing in your price range. It's not easy, and that's why so many people are asking for help here. Copying a complete look from IKEA or Pottery Barn piece for piece is "trendy"; shopping carefully from those same places for items that fit your style and feel comfortable, and accessorizing with art and objects you love is not.

• PRO
    KB Design +
    6 years ago

The rooms in the blog are timeless. Timeless does't mean you can not touch it - but means it can be easily and quickly updated with new pillows/runners/rugs.

The core of these rooms is timeless - proportions, and scale, and light done wonderfully. Sure, it is too much for some people, but designers are right - you can not put a date on it, and they are still comfortable.

Clean and modern can, totally, be timeless as well. Nobody said that this aesthetic is wrong.

One has to really think what they as individuals love, instead of watching a ton of HGTV and forming their urgent desire to be inline with what's hot.

Anglophilia thanked KB Design +
  • Lars
    6 years ago

Timeless = the people who didn't like them back then still don't like them, and the people who liked them then still like them. Something that I would consider timeless would hopefully appeal to a larger base, but I'm not sure what that would be. I love a lot of things that most people hate. Timeless (as described above) does not equate to universal appeal. You could possibly call the Taj Mahal, the Pyramids, the Parthenon, Hagia Sophia, or the Coliseum timeless, but they are also ancient.

• deegw
    6 years ago

And if you liked it then but got tired of seeing it everywhere (chintz!), it was a trend.

• tenamarie123
    6 years ago

Again, trends come and go. Not even sure why "trend" has become such a negative word in terms of decorating. Trends have always been and always will be in fashion, hairstyles and home decor.

"Think avocado green and harvest gold appliances. They do not look good today, but they sure were a trend. People realized they were very limiting, thus the love of
    stainless today. One can change the color of the walls - even counter top and door
    and they still work and don't date the kitchen to a particular time.'

I wouldn't be so sure that this won't come back around again, lol. Most trends do show back up at some point or another. May not be "avocado" green or "harvest" gold but you may see green or gold appliances make their way back around. Personally, I hope not but I wouldn't bet money that it won't. Think bell-bottom jeans.

The article also totes "timeless" as one and done. No need to ever re-decorate again. Seriously? I personally have no desire to redo my home every few years but my taste does change and what I liked in 2008, I may not necessarily like in 2018...it's called living. I LIKE decorating and I like looking at well styled rooms and homes and at some point, yes, it will propel me toward change. Change isn't a bad thing! Change can be good. I don't want to ever feel like my home is a museum.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    6 years ago

I like a lot of the rooms on the blog. I just don’t see myself ever putting silk or laboriously hand-blocked wallpaper on my walls, and the more ornate furniture and accessories would look out of place in my 1938 cape cod. I also like English country style, but I prefer the more worn and lived in look of the real thing to the shiny and new look. As for Mario Buatta, I’ve never forgiven him for how rude he was to Christopher Lowell when he was on his show.

• Bri Bosh
    6 years ago
    Timeless? I can date this bedroom in the blog post squarely in the early 90s.
  • Ellie RK
    6 years ago

While it's not my taste, I do appreciate a lot of the elements- specifically the floors and rugs in many of the photos like Bunny Mellon's home. Well I actually love Bunny Mellon's home.

But at the end of the day, I'm just not a fan of this particular design style. It's too much for me. I find it overwhelming and wouldn't be able to relax in such a home - my brain would always be on overdrive.

But, I am in awe of Mario Buatta's Cavalier Spaniels wall. I have two bulldogs, and a few friends who paint. If I got them to do a bunch of portraits of my guys, and I framed them the way he did - I have no doubt people would say "tacky." Maybe I should do it anyway and then point them to Mr. Buattas wall.. hmm..

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    Original Author
    6 years ago

There is a HUGE difference between saying "it's not my taste", than to criticizing it. I'm not a big fan of MCM, but I can recognize when it is very good design - it's just not for me.

But we can learn from seeing rooms like those on the blog and take away things that would work in our own homes. I live in a 1948 house that was a custom built subdivision house - no other one like it in the entire subdivision. It's a rather modest house - we added a full dormer upstairs and have done some remodeling on the first floor as well. But there is no way to change the 8 ft ceilings on the first floor. But I was able to take some things and make them work in my own house.

When my DD and husband bought their first house 19 years ago, she was not yet 25 and they were moving from a NYC apt. I asked her if she wanted help decorating her house, and she was hesitant - said she loved our house but she didn't want chintz and flowers. Fine! We don't have to do them - just show me pictures of what you like. Since they were still in NYC and she worked in the restaurant business, she was free during the day, so I sent her to various showrooms in the D&D Bldg to get samples of what she liked. I particularly asked her to find one fabric that made her heart sing - it could be used on one chair - even one pillow if frightfully costly, but it must make her heart sing. I said we'd work off that fabric.

When the samples arrived here (she was coming out for a christening and to see her house), I could not have been more surprised when I opened them - sample after sample of chintz fabrics with flowers! Huh? I told her I was a bit surprised and she said she knew I would be - she was herself! She said as she started through the showrooms, she would see a flowered chintz and think "How pretty, but I don't want chintz". She'd move on and the same thing would happen again, and again and again. At that point she realized that she actually DID like chintz and flowers - she just didn't want as much in her house as I had in mine. I was shocked that she picked one of the most famous and traditional chintz fabrics - Lee Jofa's "Hollyhocks" in multiple color ways.

So, I chose one of those and then pulled fabrics for the other furniture in the room, and a paint color for the walls, sea grass for the rugs. We ended up using it on one vintage upholstered chair that is very comfortable - it's next to the fireplace and it's the chair DD always sits in in this room, her LR. The rest of the room is done in various shades of neutrals, cool and warm. At Christmas, we all agreed that this room still looks so "good" and so "right" all these years later. We need to replace the white linen roman blinds under the silk curtains (they have badly discolored), but it won't be happening for many years as eldest son goes off to college in the fall, followed by younger brother 3 years later. She will have NO MONEY for anything but tuition!

Everyone does not have the same taste, but good design is still good design. You can criticize me for this and say I"m looking down on you. Well, I am a designer and I DO know good design and have had 50+ years of working with it. I don't really care how anyone on GW does her house if it's pleasing to her, but many do ask for help and are clueless and think that HGTV is the epitome of good design. It's not, but if it's what you love, go for it. Keeping an open mind is a big help in designing a house.

• House Cat
    6 years ago

Anglophile, you say, "Keeping an open mind is a big help in designing a house," yet you sound very close-minded when you characterize an entire age group by saying, "Young people have zero interest in educating themselves about good design, wherther it be an Eames chair or a period George III one. They just like that it's available on Wayfair and they can have it right away - oh, and their neighbor has one exactly like it." I have observed that young people, like old people, come in a wide variety of types.

I suppose the rooms in the blog could be considered timeless, but I am getting a strong 1980's vibe from them. In a time when people are moving more frequently than previous generations did, spending money on custom drapes, bedding, and wallpaper just isn't practical.

• iheartsix
    6 years ago
    This has been an interesting thread to read. In my opinion it all boils down to personal preference and taste. I personally love change. In my wardrobe and in my home I've never liked being locked into any one thing -- I love change, I love the process of changing things up. I love watching HGTV and looking through Houzz for ideas on (gasp!) trends. I love new and fresh ideas.

On a side note, I had to look up the word 'chintz' just for fun and this is what I came across. Hopefully the link works, if not just google. The Wikipedia definition made me laugh out loud in view of this topic. By the way, I love chintz - I just don't want it in my home. Anywhere! I'm more of the 'less is more', bland tonal type of gal. I like to draw beige and grays from my pillows and put it EVERYWHERE. Life is too short to be so serious. We should enjoy and embrace what we have no matter what anyone thinks. I'm not a designer, but I am very happy with my surroundings. For now ;)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chintz